Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Short shifter installed - now reverse pops out

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjaya29 View Post
    Lol 7 years later and still no one acknowledges my solution (read my posts above).

Try a longer DSSR (shift selector rod).
    Shut up Jay, this is how we fix things on the internets!

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5, RIP 528e
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjaya29 View Post
    Lol 7 years later and still no one acknowledges my solution (read my posts above).

Try a longer DSSR (shift selector rod).
    I'll acknowledge it! Even though the OP said the problem was solved with a new tranny...

I installed a DSSR from a guy over on r3v who makes them last summer when I was installing a fresh motor. I did a complete shifter refresh while it was all out, which for me meant a few new bushings and other little things. The car came with a UUC SSK. After putting it all back together, I now have a problem where it wants to pop out of reverse, and is hard to even get into reverse. If I don't hold it in reverse, it will pop out. There are absolutely zero problems with the other gears. Before doing the refresh, the car struggled to go into 5th, but it never popped out, and going into reverse wasn't an issue either.

I had a local BMW shop owner take it for a drive and his thought was that the shifter was too low and was rubbing the guibo. I called UUC about it and he thought it might be because the rubber boot was twisted/bound on something, making it difficult to get into reverse. I have only done a cursory inspection so far, but it doesn't look like either of those are the problem. That's when I searched and came across this thread. Since this DSSR is "custom made" it wouldn't surprise me if the length was off by a bit. Not sure how to verify it at this point, and given how much of a PITA it is to change, I may just learn to live with it...

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    I have a 198mm version UUC DSSR for sale if anyone is interested.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12