Thread: VERY GOOD EXPLANATION ON THESE CODES PLEASE, Make It More simple to understand

My Cars
    525i Bmw 1989

VERY GOOD EXPLANATION ON THESE CODES PLEASE, Make It More simple to understand

CODE 189 P1133 Oxygen sensor
    heater, pre-cat
    (Bank 2),
    insufficient
    Output digital
    pulse width (active
    low)
    DME internally calculated heater
    power is checked against predefined
    diagnostic limits.

(What does this mean in plain English?)

CODE 203 P0173 Fuel Trim (Bank 2),
    O2 control limit
    DME internal
    values logical
    Controller for lambda is too long
    beyond a min. or a max.

(What does this mean in plain English?)

CODE 228 P0189 Fuel trim (Bank 2),
    O2 control
    adaptation limit
    DME internal
    values logical
    Range control of adaptation values.

(What does this Mean in Plain English?)

My Cars
    335i vert, M6 coupe
    what car would help but sounds like it might be a shorted o2 sensor. bank one is the side with number one cylinder and bank two is the other side. fuel trim is what the computer is doing at he time to adjust fuel. adding or taking away fuel by adjusting injector pulse width. since all codes are for the one o2 sensor on bank 2 theres something going on on that side of the engine. worn plugs, clogged injectors, vacumme leak or just the sensor itself

BradR127 is offline Drip Loop Squad BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '98 M3, '20 A4
    These generic codes you get from a generic OBD scanner are only sort of useful.... I recommended scanning the car with a BMW-specific scan tool (like Peake Research's scan tools) and get the actual BMW codes. The generic codes can often lead you down the wrong path because they aren't specific to the car.

For example, I got a similar O2 sensor code from a generic scanner. Then I used a BMW-specific scanner and it told me my VANOS solenoid was physically stuck. Sure enough, I replaced the VANOS solenoid and it was fixed. (FWIW, the wire on the solenoid unit was partially torn, so obviously the solenoid wouldn't fire -- "physically stuck" shut. )

My Cars
    525i Bmw 1989
    Thank You

My Cars
    GTS, E30
    The first code looks like your pre-cat or upstream oxygen sensor is most likely bad. The other codes indicate that the engine is running lean on Bank 2. They could be related to the oxygen sensor going bad or some sort of vacuum leak on that side of the engine. I would look for a vacuum line disconnected or cracked but it is hard to give you a good answer without knowing what car this is on.