Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: For Jim: Best autox tire/wheel combo

My Cars
    2011 328i

For Jim: Best autox tire/wheel combo

Jim,

I have an ’87 325iS that I will be using for autox and track days. It has Koni Yellow shocks, Eibach springs (1.25 lower than stock), tower braces, and sway bars.

I want to run in a street tire class and thus need a wear rating of at least 140. I was thinking of 225/50-15 BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KD tires on 15 X 7 wheels. Or Pirelli Pzero System Asimmetrico. Good tire choice? Other recommendations?

As to wheels. I would like something as light as I can afford. I like the SSR type C, but am not sure if it’s available in my size to fit the car. The Volk TE37 might also be a possibility.

Thanks for any suggestions that you can offer.

And if anyone else has a suggestion, please jump in.

Joe Stephenson

My Cars
    88 944 turbo, 03 Chevy 2500HD Diesel
    cant go wrong with 15x7 kosei k1s

94 325is- telephone pole
    98 3238is- sold
    now- 88 944 turbo, in endless state of disrepair

My Cars
    E36, E39, E46, E90
    Depends on how serious you want to get, the more serious use 245/45/16's on 16x9" wheels. Unfortunately the later usually have to be custom made for around $500/ea and you REALLY have to roll the fenders!

I would try to get someting as wide as possible, as well as slight. Although a 225 sectioned tire is pretty pinched on a 7" wide wheel, I would suggest the 15x7 Kosei with some 225/50/15 Victoracers for a pretty nice autocross setup.

If you can afford it, get some 15x8's which are just about perfect for 225 wide tires.

My Cars
    BMW 525I
    I have to agree. The Kosei K1 for the money and weight are hard to beat. What I have seen the most of is 225/50R15 tires and we carry a lot of options in the size. If you are looking for the best traction shortest tread life it would be the Hoosiers. The Michelin would give similar traction but a lot longer tread life and they can be driven on the street.
    If I can help let me know.
    Thank you

If ordering through the web site click through one of the banners and list "Jim" as a previous contact. The Tire Rack will direct a portion of the proceeds back to the the Bimmerforums.com site.

Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack