Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What are some cool hidden functions of your BMW?

My Cars
    2011 328ix

Thumbs up 328i Sport Mode

Um.. I just discovered this today.. AWESOME! Its amazing off the line now.. haha

My Cars
    E34 E38 E39 E60 E92
    If you have comfort access you can raise the windows and close the sunroof by keeping your finger on the door handle ridges after it locks.

My Cars
    Future 428 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by nycitysteve View Post
    Um.. I just discovered this today.. AWESOME! Its amazing off the line now.. haha
    It does make the car more responsive, at the cost of gas mileage!

I like to use Sport mode when creeping along in traffic- it makes the tranny shift less, and gives you better engine braking ability.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 335i (E93)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter2525 View Post
    Tried the drive window and the sunroof. No dice. How did u do it?

And what rear foglights?
    The button under the normal foglight button (outside of the dial selector for headlights) is, in europe, a switch that turns on teh mandatory rear foglights. When depresssed, the 'extra" brake lights that normal show hard braking come on to more brightly illuminate the rear end of the car.

On the US models, the wiring and function is still there, it's just disabled by making the faceplaet of the switch "unpressable" by using a cover that has 4 little molded tabs on it that keep it from being pressed. They also leave out the part inside the switch that goes between the faceplate button and the circuit board.

An easy mod is to remove the switch, open it, trim off the plastic tabs, and use something (anything from a pencil to a piece of pen to a plastic wire nut - I used 3 lego pieces ) to bridge the empty gap between the faceplate and the circuit board. reassemble, reinstall, and voila - rear fog lights. The illumination on the dash shows they are on, and they work.

Alternatively, you can spend about $100 and order the european spec switch and swap them out - but all that gets you over the DIY is the little icon on the switch itself will glow.

If you google you'll find detailed DIY postings on lots of forums.

2007 335i Monaco Blue/Grey Dakota

My Cars
    06 33XI,06 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by witeagle
    I read the manual but there are things you miss ir forget if you don't use the feature that often. Good thread to remind us of the features.

One of my favorite features is the ability to send an address to the nav system from google maps on my pc.

Justin
    How do you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarianbrass
    How about one of the coolest old school functions:
    You left your windows down and exited the car... You can still take your key out of the fob, insert into the door, hold it in lock position, and your windows roll up
    I don't have a key.... I do have comfort access and can raise/lower windows and convertible top with the fob.
    Last edited by timothyelkins; 05-07-2012 at 12:34 AM.

My Cars
    318i, 328ic
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreyT

The need to take the key out of the fob is what ruins it.

It would make more sense if it worked symmetrically with the "open everything" function, i.e. if we could close all windows by pressing and holding the "lock" key on remote.

For some reason, they implemented opening all windows through the remote, but totally forgot about letting us to close all windows through the remote.

Yep its true

My Cars
    2008 335xi Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by timothyelkins View Post
    I don't have a key.... I do have comfort access and can raise/lower windows and convertible top with the fob.
    Just an FYI...you can't lock/unlock the glove box with the key fob. You'll need the key INSIDE the key fob for that.
    2008 335xi Coupe - Premium|Sport|Comfort Access|iDrive|COBB AP||UUC Corsa exhaust| AWE twin BOV’s|BMS DCI|Helix CDV|19" VMR VB3’s|Aero lip |M3 spoiler|WeissLicht AE’s|ZHP knob|///M pedals|painted reflectors

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328i
    My 07 328i doesn't have the flashlight, just some weird black thing on the left side of glove box that I couldn't pull out.
    2007 BMW 328i-SOLD
    2015 Accord V6 EX-L
    2013 Ninja 300 Motorcycle-selling soon
    2008 Mustang GT
    2010 Scion TC-traded
    2007 Mustang GT RIP
    2000 Eclipse GT-traded

My Cars
    1992 525i, 2007 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by timothyelkins View Post
    I think you DO have a key. It's in your fob.

Quote Originally Posted by cheech1

I think you DO have a key. It's in your fob.
    Learn something new every day. Consider this the hidden feature. Still can't start the car with the key though, right?
    Ps. Car is convertible and I think my glove box locks automatically, I may be wrong though

My Cars
    E46 320i
    Just discovered that if the climate control is off, pressing the recirculate air mode button on the steering wheel turns it on. A very handy feature.

My Cars
    Future 428 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by kle46 View Post
    Just discovered that if the climate control is off, pressing the recirculate air mode button on the steering wheel turns it on. A very handy feature.
    Ha! Cool! I didn't know that button on the steering wheel was for the climate control! I thought it was for a CD changer. I guess if you wind up behind a bus, you hit that button before switching to sport mode and blowing by said bus?

My Cars
    '09 328i xDrive
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy328is View Post
    Ha! Cool! I didn't know that button on the steering wheel was for the climate control! I thought it was for a CD changer. I guess if you wind up behind a bus, you hit that button before switching to sport mode and blowing by said bus?
    You can do it, but if you leave it on auto (spinning arrows with the "A" in the center), the car can detect "contaminants" (whatever that means) in the external air and engage it automatically for you.

My Cars
    Future 428 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by domyalex View Post
    You can do it, but if you leave it on auto (spinning arrows with the "A" in the center), the car can detect "contaminants" (whatever that means) in the external air and engage it automatically for you.
    I knew that, but since the recycle light always stays on in "auto" mode, I worry that I am always getting recycled air, instead of fresh. Would be better if the light cycled on and off depending on what air is coming in.

Not that I don't trust BMW, of course.

My Cars
    '09 328i xDrive
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy328is View Post
    I knew that, but since the recycle light always stays on in "auto" mode, I worry that I am always getting recycled air, instead of fresh. Would be better if the light cycled on and off depending on what air is coming in.

Not that I don't trust BMW, of course.
    Yep, definitely would be nice.

I always have it in auto and I definitely get the "fresh" air, since sometimes I get the bad odors from the outside. Downside is that now that my daughter (9 yrs old) knows about this feature she'll scream "PLEASE! turn the air purifier on! ... you know, the little thingie on the round thingie"

My Cars
    Future 428 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by domyalex View Post
    Yep, definitely would be nice.

I always have it in auto and I definitely get the "fresh" air, since sometimes I get the bad odors from the outside. Downside is that now that my daughter (9 yrs old) knows about this feature she'll scream "PLEASE! turn the air purifier on! ... you know, the little thingie on the round thingie"
    I too have a 9 year old daughter, but she couldn't care less about what goes on on the dash board!

Funny how the manual says to never keep the climate control on recycle for too long - yet in auto mode, you never know how long it stays in recycle. What if the auto feature breaks, and it gets stuck in recycle?

My Cars
    2006 E90 ZSP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by kle46 View Post
    haha i did not know this. It is pretty neat.

My Cars
    2008 BMW 328xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue330i2006 View Post
    Yes!

My favorite feature is taking out the FOB and not opening the door, Pushing the start button again and starting the car,......Or to run the A/C to cool or heat to warm while I am inside

So how exactly can you start it and warm/cool without leaving the key fob in and be able to exit the car without it shutting off when opening the door?
    Last edited by Luvmy08beamer; 06-10-2012 at 05:23 AM.

My Cars
    09 328xi, 73 2002Tii
    I am guessing that most people know this one, and for that reason I did not see it, but here it goes....

The side view mirror on the passengers side tilting down to help you see the curb when reversing. I find it to be very useful.

I also like the glow in the dark emergency release handle in the trunk.

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Quote Originally Posted by gliding serpent View Post
    I also like the glow in the dark emergency release handle in the trunk.
    You got stuck in the trunk once?
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    09 328xi, 73 2002Tii
    Quote Originally Posted by mryakan View Post
    You got stuck in the trunk once?
    No, but for the longest time I could not figure out how people kept escaping...
    Last edited by gliding serpent; 06-11-2012 at 09:39 PM.

My Cars
    2008 335xi Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by gliding serpent View Post
    No, but for the longest time I could not figure out how people kept escaping...
    LOL! Best reply ever!
    2008 335xi Coupe - Premium|Sport|Comfort Access|iDrive|COBB AP||UUC Corsa exhaust| AWE twin BOV’s|BMS DCI|Helix CDV|19" VMR VB3’s|Aero lip |M3 spoiler|WeissLicht AE’s|ZHP knob|///M pedals|painted reflectors

My Cars
    09 328xi, 73 2002Tii
    Not a hidden feature, but I love the gas cap holder. I also like the (hidden) foldout rear cup holders.

In a torrential downpour, I had my wipers on full speed. I came to a stop light and the wipers stayed on but slowed to normal speed. As soon as I hit the gas again, they went back to full speed. Wasn't expecting that at all.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast