Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What are some cool hidden functions of your BMW?

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328i

What are some cool hidden functions of your BMW?

Lets make a list of cool hidden functions our BMW's have that others may not know of.

I have an 07 328i and I like the automatic wipers by pushing in the switch on the right steering wheel shaft thing. I also like putting the car in DS by pushing the auto shifter to the left, and if you push it over to the left twice puts it in manual mode, only good for upshifting since it will automatically downshift.

Also just figured out the radio can read the fm stations song name being played with RDS.

Sure I missed a lot more, so please post your finds.

mattjw916 is offline I had something for this BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2011 335xi, 2006 325xi
    does the headlight washers getting stuck in the "up" position emptying your washer fluid reservoir onto the ground count?

My Cars
    2007 BMW 335i (E93)
    I like that if I forget to unfold the power mirrors, when I go 15 mph or so for a short distance they unfold themselves.

2007 335i Monaco Blue/Grey Dakota

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    So are we trying to list all the functions that are listed in the owners manual, or just those that people think are cool to have?
    From what I can tell, all/most those listed above are in the manual, so not sure how you can label them as hidden!
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by mryakan View Post
    So are we trying to list all the functions that are listed in the owners manual, or just those that people think are cool to have?

From what I can tell, all/most those listed above are in the manual, so not sure how you can label them as hidden!

Yes, stuff that you may have missed in the owners manual. This is a big thread on the Mustang forums. So figured it could be on here too or not, whatever.

My Cars
    06 330XI
    probably because the owner manual is a novel

My Cars
    2008 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew b
    I like that if I forget to unfold the power mirrors, when I go 15 mph or so for a short distance they unfold themselves.
    Is there a setting to have them automatically fold on shutdown?...as I go to read the manual....

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Quote Originally Posted by anova View Post
    probably because the owner manual is a novel
    Makes for a good bathroom reading . No seriously, am I the only one who went through the whole manual the first few days of ownership trying everything listed?
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

I read the manual but there are things you miss ir forget if you don't use the feature that often. Good thread to remind us of the features.

One of my favorite features is the ability to send an address to the nav system from google maps on my pc.

Justin

My Cars
    E90 328xi 6MT
    Makes for a good bathroom reading . No seriously, am I the only one who went through the whole manual the first few days of ownership trying everything listed?
    No, I did everything except trying to jumpstart from the prongs in the engine compartment

My Cars
    09 328i Premium
    No seriously, am I the only one who went through the whole manual the first few days of ownership trying everything listed?
    I read the whole manual DAYS before I got the car ;-)
    To every expert there is always an equal and opposite expert.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg003 View Post
    Lets make a list of cool hidden functions our BMW's have that others may not know of.

My car sneaks out in the middle of the night and runs Mexicans across the border.

Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    11 328xi, 330Cic, 10 Tig
    Quote Originally Posted by mattjw916 View Post
    does the headlight washers getting stuck in the "up" position emptying your washer fluid reservoir onto the ground count?
    Does not qualify; it's not "hidden". I don't think this is in the manual. You can cancel the turn signals by tapping the lever in the same direction as that used to start them. No awkward R-no-L-no-R blinking.
    '11 328i X-Drive Space Gray/Saddle - Step, Premium, M Sport
    '06 330 Cic 6MT, ZHP Alcantara

My Cars
    2011 335i Sedan
    Yesterday I found two M&Ms under the passenger seat (a yellow one and a blue one). It is not in the manual.

Probably all of the official features are in the manual, of course. Although I only recently discovered that one can open all the windows and the sunroof by holding the "open" button down for extended time (BMW sent out a postcard with a bunch of tips and tricks).

A truly hidden "Easter egg" feature is probably the rear fog light functionality that is fully implemented in US cars, but blocked at the level of "user interface", i.e. the button is not depressible.
    Last edited by AndreyT; 10-03-2011 at 01:24 PM.

My Cars
    E90 330i
    Not really a function, but I still have yet to extract the hidden ski bag in the rear arm rest.

Jeder lobt was Nürburgring-erprobt

My Cars
    2008 BMW 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos XX View Post
    Not really a function, but I still have yet to extract the hidden ski bag in the rear arm rest.
    Don't do it! :p
    It's a major pain in the rear to fold it back in a way that the two flaps still close properly.

But here's a related trick I didn't know about:
    Instead of pushing the button on the ski bag to unfold the two flaps and "release" the ski-bag, you can lift the handle surrounding the button to take the whole bag out as one piece. That way you can put bulky items through to the passenger compartment without unfolding the bag.

My Cars
    2011 335i Sedan
    What "ski bag" are you talking about? I mean, did you order it with a ski bag specifically? Because the base configuration in 2011 comes with a flat storage box under the rear armrest (instead of the ski bag). The round button opens the storage box lid, while the flap allows one to pull the entire box out and open the rectangular passage into the trunk (or out of the trunk, depending on which compartment one's locked in).
    Last edited by AndreyT; 10-03-2011 at 06:02 PM.

My Cars
    2008 335xi Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
    What "ski bag" are you talking about? I mean, did you order it with a ski bag specifically? Because the base configuration in 2011 comes with a flat storage box under the rear armrest (instead of the ski bag). The round button opens the storage box lid, while the flap allows one to pull the entire box out and open the rectangular passage into the trunk (or out of the trunk, depending on which compartment one's locked in).
    Ski bag is part of the cold weather package.
    2008 335xi Coupe - Premium|Sport|Comfort Access|iDrive|COBB AP||UUC Corsa exhaust| AWE twin BOV’s|BMS DCI|Helix CDV|19" VMR VB3’s|Aero lip |M3 spoiler|WeissLicht AE’s|ZHP knob|///M pedals|painted reflectors

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick719 View Post
    Ski bag is part of the cold weather package.
    Only until 2008/2009. Not there in 2010 - you have to buy it as an accessory.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328xi
    air conditioned cup holder in the center console
    Last edited by Cir14; 10-06-2011 at 09:40 AM.

My Cars
    E90 330i
    Courtesy lighting - push to eject your key, then tug your high beams on

Jeder lobt was Nürburgring-erprobt

My Cars
    E90 330i/6, '30 ford cou
    Yes!

My favorite feature is taking out the FOB and not opening the door, Pushing the start button again and starting the car, then reinserting the dead Fob for charging. Or to run the A/C to cool or heat to warm while I am inside comfy.

Y

A truly hidden "Easter egg" feature is probably the rear fog light functionality that is fully implemented in US cars, but blocked at the level of "user interface", i.e. the button is not depressible.
    Ordered switch from dealer for this. 22$. swapped in parking lot with BMW screwdriver.
    Last edited by Blue330i2006; 10-05-2011 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I would rather be judged by 12, than carried by six!

My Cars
    2012 BMW 328i xDrive
    BMW Apps. My 2011 328i xDrive has it's own Facebook account. It posts customized status updates using variables taken from the car's sensors, like outside temp, destination, current song being played by the iPod, etc.

Same with Twitter.

Integration with my calendar and contacts on my iPhone.

It's the gift that keeps on giving!

My Cars
    2007 328i bmw

Phone button.

I just discovered that if you press and hold a phone button on the steering wheel Display will switch to phone menu.

My Cars
    2003 Honda Accord 4 now
    Yesterday I found two M&Ms under the passenger seat (a yellow one and a blue one). It is not in the manual.

Probably all of the official features are in the manual, of course. Although I only recently discovered that one can open all the windows and the sunroof by holding the "open" button down for extended time (BMW sent out a postcard with a bunch of tips and tricks).

Tried the drive window and the sunroof. No dice. How did u do it?

And what rear foglights?

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast