Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bore Throttle Body (BBTB) Comparison - Stock vs. Dinan vs. Riot Racing w/ Pics!!

My Cars
    1995 M3/2/5 Cosmos
    I have a Dinan BBTB and tune that I wouldn't mind getting rid of...

My Cars
    e36M, 525iTA, 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    it does not. The Riot Racing BBTB is a straight bolt on product, no modifications neccesary. the modifying on the M50 manifold was in referrence to some other BBTB's out there that are larger than the m50 intake inlet. For these oversized BBTB to actually be beneficial, that is when modifying the m50 manifold would be neccesary.
    Isn't the S50 manifold the same as the m50? Is that 70mm then? I wouldn't mind slappin' on a 70mm BBTB, or close to it, but I don't know about hacking up the intake. I'd have to take a rasp to the thing, then work my way down to 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Any reason this would be a bad idea?

If i'm going to go the BBTB route, why not go big?

My Cars
    1996 m3 coupe
    The engine only uses so much air.. hacking your intake up wont really benefit you at all

My Cars
    E46iT- Coma E36- RIP E34
    Quote Originally Posted by mgoods50 View Post
    Isn't the S50 manifold the same as the m50? Is that 70mm then? I wouldn't mind slappin' on a 70mm BBTB, or close to it, but I don't know about hacking up the intake. I'd have to take a rasp to the thing, then work my way down to 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Any reason this would be a bad idea?

If i'm going to go the BBTB route, why not go big?
    yes s50 and m50 manifold are the same thing. a 70mm or smaller throttle body would be all you need, anything bigger would be pointless/useless as the intake manifold inlet is only 70mm and do truely benefit from anything larger than the intake manifold inlet, you would have to try and modify your intake manifold inlet size to match the size of the oversized throttle body you are trying to fit.

Also, bigger is not always better. I think VAC makes a 70mm BBTB, but we do not know much about it or its performance or a good review about it. Thats the problem with these throttle bodies, its hard to get right, its hard to get it to the point Riot Racing has achieved over the years of testing, tuning and modifying these throttle bodies.

And what would you be taking a rasp too?

Quote Originally Posted by bigmitch117 View Post
    The engine only uses so much air.. hacking your intake up wont really benefit you at all
    I concur with this. You do not need to cut up your intake manifold to fit an oversized throttle body. You do not even need an oversized throttle body. 1000whp turbo cars are using standard size stock throttle bodies and not even they complain about the throttle body being a restriction in their flow. I know the air is being forced into the engine, but it still has never come up as a restricting factor that they need to change/swap for a larger.
    Last edited by Captain; 03-07-2012 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Riot Racing can make custom bores for the OBD2 BBTB's but it's really not worth it the extra money (approximate $20 per .5mm).

I have seen them flow bench a 68mm Riot Racing BBTB to a 68.5mm BBTB and the 68mm flowed the same as the 68.5mm. That's why they stuck to the 68mm bore rather than going any bigger.

I have also seen then take a 70mm ebay throttle body and adapt it to work on the s5x engine and use the factory TPS. But, then the engine bay doesn't factory which would cause issues for some people (clean engine bay guys and those concerned about smog).

It's good to eliminate the restrictor of the intake path as much as possible, but there is always a point to where the benefit will end.

It's about getting the best bang for the buck without sacrificing reliability and driveability.

My Cars
    E46iT- Coma E36- RIP E34
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmansM View Post
    It's about getting the best bang for the buck without sacrificing reliability and driveability.
    QUOTED FOR TRUTH! And i believe Riot Racing has found the magic potion of performance, reliablility and driveability.

Edit: did the 70mm show any increased flow over the 68mm? or was that not tested?
    Last edited by Captain; 03-07-2012 at 11:41 AM.

My Cars
    e36M, 525iTA, 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    yes s50 and m50 manifold are the same thing. a 70mm or smaller throttle body would be all you need, anything bigger would be pointless/useless as the intake manifold inlet is only 70mm and do truely benefit from anything larger than the intake manifold inlet, you would have to try and modify your intake manifold inlet size to match the size of the oversized throttle body you are trying to fit.

Also, bigger is not always better. I think VAC makes a 70mm BBTB, but we do not know much about it or its performance or a good review about it. Thats the problem with these throttle bodies, its hard to get right, its hard to get it to the point Riot Racing has achieved over the years of testing, tuning and modifying these throttle bodies.

And what would you be taking a rasp too?

sort of a joke- the manifold opening

I concur with this. You do not need to cut up your intake manifold to fit an oversized throttle body. You do not even need an oversized throttle body. 1000whp turbo cars are using standard size stock throttle bodies and not even they complain about the throttle body being a restriction in their flow. I know the air is being forced into the engine, but it still has never come up as a restricting factor that they need to change/swap for a larger.
    I'm going to go with the Riot version. I completely understand diminishing returns. Sound's like Riot's found the sweet spot. Is there a sponsoring vendor, or perhaps a contact for a group buy?

If someone knows, I'd offer my time in facilitation.

Group buy, Riot BBTB
    1. Mgoods50

My Cars
    '97 BMW 332ti
    Just contact them. I just got my own bbtb from Riot Racing today. I think he has another one made.

My Cars
    E46iT- Coma E36- RIP E34
    No harm in trying, but I don't think they can sell these for any lower. I love mine and worth every penny,

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Riot does good work. As far as I could tell when I bought my BBTB each one is made to order.

Neil

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by Dejo325i View Post
    I have the Dbilas itbs, not really worth it for the money, and they have no seals so they leak like crazy, so much that I could not get more than 2 psi from the supercharger.
    - plus there are many other issues;
    1. throttles sticking
    2. not returning to idle properly
    3. the heat from the engine affects the throttle bores and butterflies
    4. stiff return springs (hard accelerator pedal)
    After a year of fiddling with them and so many useless emails to Germany... I'm making custom throttles to replace the ones that come from dbilas.
    Wow. Not something I exppected from a Germany company. It looks so nice on paper.

Well thanks for this very useful information.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by mgoods50 View Post
    I'm going to go with the Riot version. I completely understand diminishing returns. Sound's like Riot's found the sweet spot. Is there a sponsoring vendor, or perhaps a contact for a group buy?

If someone knows, I'd offer my time in facilitation.

Group buy, Riot BBTB
    1. Mgoods50

Can't happen as Riot Racing is not a supporting vendor. Also, I don't think Riot Racing would want to participate in the group buy.

My Cars
    1995 AW M3
    Thanks so much for this, Dave.

The BBTB is a "must have" mod for these cars in my opinion. Having owned to 36Ms without and two with the Dinan unit, there is a huge difference in throttle response and low-mid grunt. I'm back in a stock car and the first engine mod I make will be a BBTB - likely the RiotRacing unit.
    Last edited by Eric98Sedan; 03-09-2012 at 01:20 PM.

My Cars
    E46iT- Coma E36- RIP E34
    agreed. Likely the first mod i put on my DD i dont plan on modding much. and RR's unit is significantly better than Dinan's. I've had both and the RR feels worlds better! Dinans sucked. Poor drivability, threw a CEL (po121) and less of a bore.
    Last edited by Captain; 03-09-2012 at 01:58 PM.

My Cars
    1995 AW M3
    I never had a single issue with either Dinan car. Always ran perfect and fast.

But I will try the RR next

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    i wanna spend 250$ for 5 whp! where do i sign up!?!?!

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5
    I picked up 7whp with the 75mm VAC throttle body. I would expect less out of a smaller TB.
    Chris
    97 M3
    94 325is
    12 Jeep SRT8

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by fsmtnbiker View Post
    I picked up 7whp with the 75mm VAC throttle body. I would expect less out of a smaller TB.
    what a bargain...only 100 dollars per whp!

Sign me up! sign me up!!!

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    Quote Originally Posted by FerM3 View Post
    what a bargain...only 100 dollars per whp!

Sign me up! sign me up!!!
    For a street car, it's foolish. For a race car that's trying to get as much power as possible under a rule set, it's a proven gain.
    "Fear disturbs your concentration" -Sabine Schmit

1995 BMW M3/2/5-- S54 + Mk60 DSC, California Smog Legal (Build Thread)
    1998 BMW M3/4/5 Alpine/Modena, Z3 Rack, otherwise stock-- DD without burbles
    2017 Chevy SS, Orange Blast Metallic, 6MT -- DD with burbles

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerman535i View Post
    For a street car, it's foolish. For a race car that's trying to get as much power as possible under a rule set, it's a proven gain.
    i doubt everyone here is a racecar driver -_-

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    Point is still valid nonetheless.

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    Point is still valid nonetheless.
    As is mine.

This isnt the track section buddy.

My Cars
    1995 AW M3
    Okay - but the beauty of this mod is in how the motor feels with it... not raw power gains. The stock S52 is very sluggish at throttle tip-in, especially when compared to true high performance engines. The BBTB helps it feel a bit more high performance, even if it doesn't actually go any faster.

I want a car that's fun to drive and this is where the BBTB really shines. Dyno numbers are less important to me.

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    As is mine.

This isnt the track section buddy.
    I'm not your buddy, guy.

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    I'm not your buddy, guy.
    no need to get butt hurt, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric98Sedan View Post
    Okay - but the beauty of this mod is in how the motor feels with it... not raw power gains. The stock S52 is very sluggish at throttle tip-in, especially when compared to true high performance engines. The BBTB helps it feel a bit more high performance, even if it doesn't actually go any faster.

I want a car that's fun to drive and this is where the BBTB really shines. Dyno numbers are less important to me.
    Ill probably end up buying the RR tb when I rebuild my top end.....but 700$ for 7 whp is crazy.
    Last edited by FerM3; 03-10-2012 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast