Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bore Throttle Body (BBTB) Comparison - Stock vs. Dinan vs. Riot Racing w/ Pics!!

My Cars
    95 Avus M3
    That sucks balls, o well riot got the game in a choke hold

My Cars
    99 M3 coupe
    Has anybody tried to install the multi-throttle bodies from Scottsdale motorsports I have a 99 m3.

My Cars
    '95 M60B40
    Quote Originally Posted by cm3 View Post
    Has anybody tried to install the multi-throttle bodies from Scottsdale motorsports I have a 99 m3.
    Dbilas in Germany makes them. The cost is close to $5K.

1995 M60B40

My Cars
    99 M3 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by astigracing
    Dbilas in Germany makes them. The cost is close to $5K.
    Damn. Is it a hard install or plug n play. I am seeing if worth that lot of money seems like decent hp want to keep my car n/a due it's my daily driver for now.

My Cars
    '95 M60B40
    Quote Originally Posted by cm3 View Post
    Damn. Is it a hard install or plug n play. I am seeing if worth that lot of money seems like decent hp want to keep my car n/a due it's my daily driver for now.
    Click here.

1995 M60B40

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmaDave View Post
    Also, it made a very annoying (and embarrassing) whistle sound every time I crossed about 5% throttle (either when pushing on the gas or letting off, and would whistle for hours if I held it there).
    -Dave
    sounds like typical aftermarket intake noise to me.

My Cars
    '99 M Roadster '08 135i
    I've been following this thread for a while now since I was looking for a bigger big bore TB. I already have the Dinan TB and have been vary happy with it but in the hunt for more power a larger TB couldn't hurt especially with FI. The Ireland engineering that had benn talked about caught my attention and at only $205 why not give it a try. Well I ordered one last week and it arrived this week so here are some pics. From left to Right stock, Dinan, Ireland.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Z3 M Roadster; 11-05-2011 at 06:53 PM.

My Cars
    M3, 850i, E30T, E55T
    Interesting, please follow up after install/use if you could, I'm sure we'd all be grateful to hear your thoughts.

edit: Hey another BCer, nice twinscrew!

My Cars
    '09 135i
    nice write up. However, I could never justify spending that much money on a TB for such minimal gains. Maybe it's worth it for the f/i guys.
    '95 Avus Blue M3|Dinan tune|Cosmos V1 CAI|Recaro|3.23 lsd|Magnaflow| -SOLD
    '95 Cosmos M3 |Cosmos Racing V1 3.5" CAI|Samco rep TB boot|740i HFM|Turner Tune|UUC Pulleys|CF Hood|Depo 6000k|Depo french fogs|Depo Tails|Black Wide Kidney Grill|AA exhaust|Zimmerman Drilled rotors|Sparco|B&M SSK|Koni S&S|BMP Bushings|Wahlbro 255|Stewart Thermostat| 240whp -SOLD
    '09 135i 6mt |BMS JB4 g5iso| MHD BMS Flash| BMS DCI| BMS Chargepipe | BMS Inlets| RB PCV| N54 Perf 3" DP| Wagner FMIC| Ryan Racing DV Valves| Fuel it Stage 2| e60| 480whp

My Cars
    '99 M Roadster '08 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by adamnur View Post
    Interesting, please follow up after install/use if you could, I'm sure we'd all be grateful to hear your thoughts.

I will follow up on install and thoughts. There are a few BCer's on the forum

Quote Originally Posted by cky751 View Post
    nice write up. However, I could never justify spending that much money on a TB for such minimal gains. Maybe it's worth it for the f/i guys.

Thanks, I understand what your saying, when the engine was still N/A I couldn't tell if there was a power gain. But like some of the others that have done it, I did notice crisper throttle responce. The next n/a engine I build will have cams before the tb, but I still would do the tb.
    Last edited by Z3 M Roadster; 11-06-2011 at 05:46 PM.

My Cars
    '99 M Roadster '08 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by adamnur View Post

I will follow up on install and thoughts. There are a few BCer's on the forum

Quote Originally Posted by cky751 View Post
    Thanks, I understand what your saying, when the engine was still N/A I couldn't tell if there was a power gain. But like some of the others that have done it, I did notice crisper throttle responce. The next n/a engine I build will have cams before the tb, but I still would do the tb.
    Last edited by Z3 M Roadster; 11-06-2011 at 05:46 PM.

My Cars
    '99 M Roadster '08 135i
    Well I took my donor tb and removed the parts necessary to complete the Ireland one since it comes without springs, bracket etc. I knew when I placed the order that tese items would not be included so no surprise. The process of removing from the donor, cleaning and puting back together took about 40min, swapping of all the parts is fairly easy. Here are some pics of the process.

My Cars
    '99 M Roadster '08 135i
    More pics.

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3 M Roadster View Post
    More pics.
    MARV17 said that he contact Irland Engineering and said that their BBTB was discontinued. When did you order this unit?

FUNNY! Some assembly required.

Are you able to remove the throttle plate from your I.E. unit to measure the diameter of the bore? If you do this, remember to measure the bore of the throttle body and NOT the plate. If you do measure the plate measure the diameter that would keep the bolt holes vertical and inline with your caliper/verneer.

How much did you pay for your donor unit? And are all of the pieces in good working condition? This will obviously add to the cost of this BBTB option.

My Cars
    E46iT- Coma E36- RIP E34
    says he ordered last week...

I cant wait to see the issues if he ever does report back...i can't imagine this ending well at all.

My Cars
    91 332is
    I have the riot racing BBTB, and I enjoy the smoothness of it.
    "1991 332is - 1998 Supercharged OBDI S52 - E36 5-Lug with E36 M3 Brakes - B&G Coilovers - 2.93 LSD - Style 5's"
    Gone but not forgotten

"1997 M3"
    Currently being restored past its former glory

My Cars
    '99 M Roadster '08 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmansM View Post
    MARV17 said that he contact Irland Engineering and said that their BBTB was discontinued. When did you order this unit?

FUNNY! Some assembly required.

Are you able to remove the throttle plate from your I.E. unit to measure the diameter of the bore? If you do this, remember to measure the bore of the throttle body and NOT the plate. If you do measure the plate measure the diameter that would keep the bolt holes vertical and inline with your caliper/verneer.

How much did you pay for your donor unit? And are all of the pieces in good working condition? This will obviously add to the cost of this BBTB option.
    It was ordered at the end of October and received it last week. I did take it apart since I was curious if it truly was 69mm and it is. The donor was free, just a spare I had on the shelf.

I cant wait to see the issues if he ever does report back...i can't imagine this ending well at all.
    Well I just came back from a drive after installing the tb and I'm pleased to say that upon initial start up it ran perfect. The idle was smooth and steady just like the Dinan that it replaced. Through the entire 30min drive it performed flawless, throttle response is crisp and no issues to report. I'm very pleased with it and for $205 money well spent.

My Cars
    E46iT- Coma E36- RIP E34
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3 M Roadster View Post
    It was ordered at the end of October and received it last week. I did take it apart since I was curious if it truly was 69mm and it is. The donor was free, just a spare I had on the shelf.

Well I just came back from a drive after installing the tb and I'm pleased to say that upon initial start up it ran perfect. The idle was smooth and steady just like the Dinan that it replaced. Through the entire 30min drive it performed flawless, throttle response is crisp and no issues to report. I'm very pleased with it and for $205 money well spent.
    Well then, I stand corrected. I wonder if anyone else can get there hands on one. Several people were denied...

I hope you follow up with a more detailed review...any check engine lights?

And saying it is just like the Dinan isn't saying much...is it as smooth as a car with a stock throttle body?

My Cars
    '99 M Roadster '08 135i
    I hope it wasn't the last one... if it was maybe if there is enough demand they might make more?
    No CEL. The detailed report may have to wait until the spring since a light snow has started.
    Fair enough, as smooth as a stock tb.

My Cars
    328is

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by KGB7 View Post
    ...Or, you can get individual throttle bodies. Up to 40HP gain.

http://www.scottsdalemotorsport.com/E36Intake.html

Funny, according DBilas' own website, the power increase is: 15 kW / 20PS

This includes US M3 engine.

Wonder where Scottsdale Motorsport gets the extra 100% from.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    e36 Coupe
    I have the Dbilas itbs, not really worth it for the money, and they have no seals so they leak like crazy, so much that I could not get more than 2 psi from the supercharger.
    - plus there are many other issues;
    1. throttles sticking
    2. not returning to idle properly
    3. the heat from the engine affects the throttle bores and butterflies
    4. stiff return springs (hard accelerator pedal)
    After a year of fiddling with them and so many useless emails to Germany... I'm making custom throttles to replace the ones that come from dbilas.

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    at least your engine bay looks pretty! lol...

My Cars
    Mmmm's
    Thx for the info
    19 - BMW's: Past / Present
    1979-E21 Euro Red/Black-RIP. Where it all began!!
    1986-325es/345 Bronze/Tan -SOLD
    1992-325IS Silver/Dove-SOLD
    1993-325IS-Brilliantrot(Custom)/Tan-SOLD -
    2005-E46 M3 ZCP ILB / Grey - SOLD
    1999-M3-Alpine/Black - SOLD
    1995-M3 Alpine/Dove - SOLD
    1997-M3/4/5 Black/Black - SOLD
    1994-M-Design/M-Technic - Project car-sold
    1995-M3-Avus -track car build
    2003 ZHP Mystic Blue/Carmel - SOLD I'm not sure why
    2011 M3/4/7 ZCP Lemans / Black /Slicktop - SOLD
    1999 M3 Fern GTS-3 Race Car/Track car - SOLD
    2003 M3 Stahlgrau/Schwarz - Track Car - SOLD
    2001 Euro Imported Slicktop MtechII Touring - S54 6sp
    2005 M3 TiSilver/Schwarz - sold
    2004 330i 6sp Grey/Black - sold
    2003 M3-Sedan Hellrot wGrey/Black Indv Int - DD
    2001 M3 Wagon Orient Blue/Red Fox - FOR SALE

My Cars
    e36M, 525iTA, 525i/5
    Dave,
    THANK YOU for posting this. I'll have to go back and read through all the posts and your replies thoroughly later, but I read your original- and THANK YOU!

I am considering a BBTB, and this is just what I needed. I agree with you- more air, less restriction- NASCAR mandates restrictor plates for a reason, right? Now, I won't be silly and assume something like this would set the world on fire, but my basic thought process matches yours.

Great post, and again- THANKS! -com' on tax refund-

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast