Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Big Bore Throttle Body (BBTB) Comparison - Stock vs. Dinan vs. Riot Racing w/ Pics!!

My Cars
    1998 Techno M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by E30335i View Post
    Dinan has theirs for sale for 250 not including their 100 dollar core

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From Dinan? Where did you see that price?

My Cars
    89 E30 S52 94 E34 S52

Big Bore Throttle Body (BBTB) Comparison - Stock vs. Dinan vs. Riot Racing w/ Pics!!

On their website, someone posted it earlier up this thread.

https://www.dinancars.com/product/d7...m3-e36-1995-2/
    Here it is for 95. And it’s 224.95
    And the core is 325

My Cars
    skateboard
    I picked up mine second hand . Needs some light cleaning, but besides that it’s hopefully ready to go.

“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    1998 Techno M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by E30335i View Post
    On their website, someone posted it earlier up this thread.

https://www.dinancars.com/product/d7...m3-e36-1995-2/
    Here it is for 95. And it’s 224.95
    And the core is 325

Right. The core is not $100. I just sent in a core and am waiting for a refund.

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    Dang, I remember when this thread first started. Looks like that price is no longer in effect and they're charging $550 plus $350 core. I've been using one on the 95 m3 for over 10 years, now looking to get one for an M50 E30.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    99 M3
    Is there an OBDII Dinan BBTB or are they all OBDI?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I have an obd2 Dinan BBTB that I bought used about 6 years ago for $150. I think Dinan still sells them but am not certain.

My Cars
    skateboard

Big Bore Throttle Body (BBTB) Comparison - Stock vs. Dinan vs. Riot Racing w/ Pics!!

Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    I have an obd2 Dinan BBTB that I bought used about 6 years ago for $150. I think Dinan still sells them but am not certain.
    Yes they sell them, but they are somewhere around 400-500 bucks

“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    1 Blue, 1 White, 1 Black
    As of now the OBD2 one on Dinan's website is listed at $599. This price includes the $325 core charge, so in the end it comes out to $275 plus shipping.
    Past: '99 Hellrot/Dove M3 | '97 S14 1JZ | '06 Triumph Daytona 675 | '01 330I M-Tech I | '99 Silvia S15 | Current: '96 Estoril/Black M3

Instagram

My Cars
    95' M3,
    So what seems to be the consensus? From what I have read from this thread seems to be that if you get a good RR BBTB then you're better off, but Dinan will probably take care of you instantly and its a small gain between the 2 at that point? How are the people holding up at roughly 8 years past the bulk of the thread? Any changes, differences after this much time?

My Cars
    skateboard
    Well I’m going with a roots type super charger kit. I’ll most likely upgrade from the dinan to a mustang 76mm tb, or a infinity 88mm tb.

― George Orwell

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Then there will be a used Dinan for sale. Soon or next year?

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Then there will be a used Dinan for sale. Soon or next year?
    Yes sir

― George Orwell

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by cfletch13 View Post
    So what seems to be the consensus? From what I have read from this thread seems to be that if you get a good RR BBTB then you're better off, but Dinan will probably take care of you instantly and its a small gain between the 2 at that point? How are the people holding up at roughly 8 years past the bulk of the thread? Any changes, differences after this much time?
    My RR BBTB (installed April 2011) is still just fine after more than 9 years of use.
    Of course this is a track car, so its annual operating hours are fairly low. But still...

Neil

My Cars
    1 Blue, 1 White, 1 Black
    My RR BBTB has still plagued me with the TPS code triggering the CEL for nearly two years now. I've tried three different TB's from them, I've tried multiple TPS sensors, I've even tried their suggestion of widening the TPS mounting holes to try and get the readings in spec, all to no avail.

The unit itself is great once you get it dialed in, however I'll have to have a tune done in hopes of getting rid of that CEL. I plan to do this sooner than later, just working through some other projects on the car currently.
    Past: '99 Hellrot/Dove M3 | '97 S14 1JZ | '06 Triumph Daytona 675 | '01 330I M-Tech I | '99 Silvia S15 | Current: '96 Estoril/Black M3

Instagram

My Cars
    95' M3,
    I'm worried I'll constantly have similar issues like what you are having. I have a tune from turner- stage 2 and so the BBTB is my last mod to really do in regard to intake path. I might just do a dinan one that won't have problems. Could just buy a ebay core for $50 and send them that. That way I get to keep my own known unit.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by cfletch13 View Post
    I've used the Dinan BBTB on my FBO S50 for about 8 or more years now, works excellent and makes the most difference with proper tune, 3.5" HFM and long tube headers. I also have a second one I'm planning to use for the M50 E30 once I figure out my plan for intake box under louvres in hood to 3.5" HFM to Dinan BBTB. IMO, some engine components are more important than others, and a TB is integral for both engine operation and safety. I would generally never use any type of aftermarket TB or modifications to linkage or cable (I have done this in the past), but I've been using Dinan products for over 20 years now without any problems at all so I trust it.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    99 M3

Quote Originally Posted by CMG View Post
    IMO, some engine components are more important than others, and a TB is integral for both engine operation and safety. I would generally never use any type of aftermarket TB or modifications to linkage or cable (I have done this in the past)
    All of the aftermarket BBTBs are ‘reworked’ OE units, including Dinan.

Last edited by bluptgm3; 10-13-2020 at 01:01 AM.

My Cars
    The Riot Racing was not, who else uses stock TB cored out with bigger flapper?
    Last edited by CMG; 10-16-2020 at 02:49 PM.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-

My Cars
    99 M3

Quote Originally Posted by CMG View Post
    The Riot Racing was not, who else uses stock maf cored out with bigger flapper?
    MAF has no flapper. RR creates a new butterfly plate to close the new larger bore.

Why do they state
    This Riot Racing Big Bore Throttle Body has been a one of kind, Outperforming Dinan in bore size and structure strength with our 68mm unit. The largest bore to be machined into any obd2 unit is due to Riot Racings’ superior machining techniques.
    ...and why charge a ‘core charge’

Last edited by bluptgm3; 05-24-2022 at 10:17 PM.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    MAF has no flapper.

Why do they state

...and charge a ‘core charge’

It's true - it's petty clear on the Riot site, and you're either paying a core charge or sending it back.

I've been on the fence for years about this. I like when it gets resurfaced because it helps me think through my position again. Not so much Dinan vs Riot, but Riot vs RHD ITBs. Whether you believe they'll deliver the gains they claim or not (one of a handful of reasons I haven't done it yet), you have to admit those ITBs are sexy.

But rereading the trouble with these BBTBs levels the playing field to some extent with the trouble to properly tune the ITBs.

My Cars
    1998 Techno M3 Coupe
    VAC makes a bespoke 70MM throttle body.

RR is a re-purposed stock TB. I sent RR my TB several years ago and they machined it and added their wider flapper plate.

My Cars
    Guess I was mistaken.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    No one has trouble with the Dinan. Some have trouble with the RR, but I don’t know why. Both are bored out stock. RR claims to bore out a little more. The TB casting is so thin there really isn’t room to bore it out more. Sometimes casting flaws are exposed. I have the Dinan.

Bigger is better if you have big power, but the manifold becomes a limiting factor. I am not sure how much you could open it up. You might need an adapter plate.

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    don't mean to revive an old thread but can anyone confirm if Dinan TB also upsized the throttle plate too? or did they simply bored each end out at an angle to retain the stock butterfly plate? cant tell from the pic but the throttle plate looks like the same size but just with Dinan logo etching

oh fun fact! looks like Riot selling their business (if not sold already):

https://images.bizbuysell.com/shared...2881896946.pdf
    Last edited by bmwstephen; 05-21-2022 at 04:03 PM.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast