Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Big Bore Throttle Body (BBTB) Comparison - Stock vs. Dinan vs. Riot Racing w/ Pics!!

My Cars
    1986 325es
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamthebull View Post
    I ordered one and will be in on Monday.
    Which one did you buy?

My Cars
    98 M3 sedan
    A correction to the percent increase in throttle body area for Riot Racing versus stock. Area is Pi*R^2, so (Pi's cancel) the increase is (R2^2-R1^2)/R1^2, where R2=68mm/2 and R1=63.83mm/2, yielding ~13.5% not 11.9. Even better.

My Cars
    '02 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordo0208 View Post
    Which one did you buy?
    Ordered the RR BBTB for my 328i. Install went relatively smooth. I also ordered new metal throttle bushings. Liking the throttle response, I also installed a CAI and did Silicon intake boot/ASC Delete. Throughout the powerband there is an increase. Will be dynoing again after I install headers, exhaust, pulleys, tune, S52 cams w/ RR regrind, FDM, and M50 intake manifold.
    2002 BMW Titanium Silver 540i/6-speed Sport - ZHP Shift Knob - M5 Clutch/TTV Racing 15.6lb Flywheel - M60 Intake Manifold - N62 84mm TB - Dinan Intake Tube - 4" MAF Tube - DUDMD Tune - Magnaflow Resonator - Eibach 18mm Rear Sway Bar - Powerflex Front Sway Bar Bushings - CDV Delete - UUC SS Brake Lines - Koni Yellow Shocks/Struts - Eibach Springs - Zionsville Radiator & FDM

My Cars
    99 M3
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Iamthebull View Post
    Ordered the RR BBTB for my 328i. Install went relatively smooth. I also ordered new metal throttle bushings. Liking the throttle response, I also installed a CAI and did Silicon intake boot/ASC Delete. Throughout the powerband there is an increase. Will be dynoing again after I install headers, exhaust, pulleys, tune, S52 cams w/ RR regrind, FDM, and M50 intake manifold.
    So what was the outcome?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I think he bought a pair of M socks.

My Cars
    99 M-Sport 328
    I recently purchased and installed the riot racing bbtb tb and wanted to clarify some misconceptions about this product. Right off the bat, I must say there is absolutely NO QUESTION that you will feel a major difference in throttle response and power. I didn't dyno the car so I don't have numbers to post, however, after installing, I don't doubt the claims of a potential 5-8rwhp. When I made the purchase I was well aware of all the criticism and unfounded opinions that bbtb's aren't worth the money for the m50, m52, s52, etc. I had a few dollars to spend and figured I'd buy/test the riot bbtb to put the rumors and innuendo to rest for myself and the e36 community.

For anyone expecting the bbtb to be comparable to the night and day difference that the m50 conversion w/tune provides, you will be disappointed. The m50 manifold conversion along with an active auto tune was the only modification to yield a night and day difference. Everything else was incremental. Prior to the bbtb, my m52 already had all the following:

1. AFE CAI
    2. M50 manifold conversion
    3. Manzo headers
    4. OEM m3 exhaust
    5. AA software tune

The bbtb, in my opinion, is the missing link to really maximize the horsepower gained with the common m52 upgrades. In addition to the slight power increase, the real beauty of this bbtb is the significantly improved power delivery from 1k+. If you have similar upgrades to the ones listed above, you'll be pleasantly surprised by how much your e36 will come alive with this bbtb. The first impression I had on the initial test drive after install was how sensitive the throttle had become. I was in love with my m52 prior to the bbtb and had no complaints about throttle response but after the bbtb I see clearly that something was seriously lacking. Power comes on much faster/smoother now and with less effort. Power is readily available throughout the entire band, especially down low. For those of you who have experienced a significant torque loss after the m50 conversion, a software tune and the riot bbtb will put that smile back on your face.

I have not experienced any adverse issues with the throttle sticking as others have said. Idle is perfect and completely indistinguishable from the stock tb. I would highly recommend the riot racing bbtb to anyone looking to squeeze out every bit of naturally aspirated power from their m50, m52 or s52. I have zero affiliation with Riot Racing but I must give credit where credit is due. They have delivered an extremely rare product for our cars that other big names have either given up on or simply produced an inferior product. Every BMW I own will get a riot racing bbtb from here on out.
    Last edited by reesemckenzie; 03-27-2017 at 01:59 PM.

My Cars
    1998 Techno M3 Coupe
    Good to hear. I sent my TB to RR a couple weeks ago and got it back about a week later. It is still sitting in the box waiting for some other engine work to get completed, then I'll install it once the engine is back in.
    I'm having a lot of other work done so I probably won't be able to isolate the different the bbtb makes so nice to know I did not waste my money.

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    #RealRiotRacing
    #BMWBBTB
    #WestCoastRiots

My Cars
    1999 BMW e36 328iS
    I seriously have a ton of respect for Todd but I have been dealing with DTC for TPS for 2 years with no outcome. I am in touch with him in hopes of some news because I have tried everything.

My Cars
    1 Blue, 1 White, 1 Black
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhor559 View Post
    I seriously have a ton of respect for Todd but I have been dealing with DTC for TPS for 2 years with no outcome. I am in touch with him in hopes of some news because I have tried everything.
    +1. I've received TWO Riot TB's and both have been nothing but headaches. Either the throttle plate sticks or you get a TPS code, one or the other. I've tried all of the tricks he's suggested to no avail.

It's a shame because aside from the CEL, it's actually a nice mod. There's a definite uptick in throttle response and a little bump in the seat dyno. I'd love to keep it, but if it can't be "tuned out" when I get my next tune, I'm going back to stock. The ever persistent CEL isn't worth it.
    Past: '99 Hellrot/Dove M3 | '97 S14 1JZ | '06 Triumph Daytona 675 | '01 330I M-Tech I | '99 Silvia S15 | Current: '96 Estoril/Black M3

Instagram

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Or buy a used Dinan. No issues with its TB.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Those are hard to come by, but no hassle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    1 Blue, 1 White, 1 Black
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    Those are hard to come by, but no hassle
    Yeah, that's the next stop for me when another pops up for sale.
    Past: '99 Hellrot/Dove M3 | '97 S14 1JZ | '06 Triumph Daytona 675 | '01 330I M-Tech I | '99 Silvia S15 | Current: '96 Estoril/Black M3

Instagram

My Cars
    1993 325is
    I had sticking with my RRTB (OBD1) but with careful massaging of the throttle stop screw and a little tweaking of the butterfly screws, I was able to FULLY eliminate the sticking.

My Cars
    1999 BMW e36 328iS
    I don't have any sticking but the DTC is always there. The adjustments are near perfect and I still keep getting the error code. The pending code is always on and the Check Engine Light turns on after 5 minutes of driving. Even after clearing the code the pending code is instantly on. The car does feel amazing but I can't keep the pending code because the pending status will not allow the Emissions Readiness Monitors to start. This is needed for smog as I learned with my smog check this passed week. Dinan also has this same problem as well.
    Last edited by Zhor559; 02-17-2020 at 04:34 PM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    No, there is no problem with the Dinan. It will not cause any pending or actual codes.

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    I've mentioned earlier — much earlier! — in this thread that I've had my RR BBTB since May 2011. I've never had a CEL with it, or any throttle plate sticking issues. (I did carefully check the plate action before installation.)

But it's also worth mentioning that my car also has Schrick Sport cams, 24# injectors, 3.5" HFM, and the matching Conforti software that goes with all that. The software may help with CEL issues?

Neil

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Many people have had issues with the RR. Obviously not everyone, but I have read of this regularly over the last 10 years. I did not buy one for that reason. Until this thread, I had never read of an issue with the Dinan. You do need to get the TPS to read in the correct range for idle. I forget what that is. If some previous owner messed with the throttle stop screw or tps or throttle cable, that could cause problems.

My Cars
    89 E30 S52 94 E34 S52
    I have a dinan bbtb for sale obd2 is anyone is interested 200 shipped.

My Cars
    89 E30 S52 94 E34 S52
    Quote Originally Posted by E30335i View Post
    I have a dinan bbtb for sale obd2 is anyone is interested 200 shipped.

Sold instantly, thanks for all the interest.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by E30335i View Post
    Sold instantly, thanks for all the interest.

Can’t wait to add it to my N/A setup

“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    E36 M3, E39 M5, C4S, 8V.
    If anyone is interested there is a new Dinan BBTB available on ebay for 311.90 (including shipping, but not tax yet). I bought the other one they had for sale.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dinan-High-...53.m2749.l2649

My Cars
    1998 Techno M3 Coupe
    Oh boy. I just bought one from Dinan. I hope I get my core refund otherwise I overpaid by a lot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SexualChocolate View Post
    If anyone is interested there is a new Dinan BBTB available on ebay for 311.90 (including shipping, but not tax yet). I bought the other one they had for sale.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dinan-High-...53.m2749.l2649
    Did you receive it yet? The one on EBay, I don't see the Dinan stamp on the throttle butterfly plate. The one I just got from Dinan had that stamp.

My Cars
    E36 M3, E39 M5, C4S, 8V.
    Quote Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
    Oh boy. I just bought one from Dinan. I hope I get my core refund otherwise I overpaid by a lot.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you receive it yet? The one on EBay, I don't see the Dinan stamp on the throttle butterfly plate. The one I just got from Dinan had that stamp.
    Yes I received it and it is authentic. The sticker on the packaging is old but it is new with everything included.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SexualChocolate; 02-28-2020 at 05:16 PM.

My Cars
    89 E30 S52 94 E34 S52
    Dinan has theirs for sale for 250 not including their 100 dollar core

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast