Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Big Bore Throttle Body (BBTB) Comparison - Stock vs. Dinan vs. Riot Racing w/ Pics!!

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    Sounds like RR is having as many issues as the Dinan BBTB.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by adamnur View Post
    I've just gotten a TPS fault. Had it cleared and it came right back, so it seems I have fallen victim to this also. Not sure if a new one will clear it or not, but worth a try I suppose.
    What Throttle Body are you running and what software?

Quote Originally Posted by CMG View Post
    Not true at all. How did you come to that conclusion? RR has former Dinan customers that send their Dinan units as cores trying to get rid of their problem.
    Last edited by bigmansM; 12-13-2012 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    M3, 850i, E30T, E55T
    RR throttle body of course, and stock software.

Sent from the future in a tie-fighter

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    RR throttle body of course, and stock software.

OBD1 or OBD2 unit?
    What is your idle at?

This is likely caused by the throttle plate position being TOO open at idle. I am just assuming this. Are you comfortable adjusting the idle stop screw yourself? Its pretty easy to do.

You could always call Riot Racing technical support: 818 268-9567 or email: Todd@westcoastriots.com

My Cars
    Not true at all. How did you come to that conclusion? RR has former Dinan customers that send their Dinan units as cores trying to get rid of their problem.
    All u have to do is read this thread.
    Last edited by CMG; 12-13-2012 at 04:59 PM.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    M3, 850i, E30T, E55T
    I have the OBD2 unit, and idle is at 500-600RPM.

I could adjust the stop screw, but I'm not sure that's the issue since my idle doesn't seem high at all. I will probably email them and see what can be done.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by adamnur

I could adjust the stop screw, but I'm not sure that's the issue since my idle doesn't seem high at all. I will probably email them and see what can be done.
    Do u have a tune?

95 BMW M3 Alpine-

My Cars
    M3, 850i, E30T, E55T
    Not that I know of, stock tune car had no performance parts when i bought it.

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
    So what's the difference between the VAC one and say a Dinan or RR? All 3 are re-machined OEM pieces, but the VAC is a bit pricier...
    VAC one is fully CNC cut. Its too large to use a stock one and modify. Thus the massive price difference

Quote Originally Posted by fsmtnbiker View Post
    I picked up 7whp with the 75mm VAC throttle body. I would expect less out of a smaller TB.
    I hope I pick up the same

Quote Originally Posted by FerM3 View Post
    i doubt everyone here is a racecar driver -_-
    then you would be incorrect. Fsmtnbiker has set a ton of lap records in his area, and there are plenty of people who use their car in a COMPETITIVE environment and need every little bit they can

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    It is. I believe he is referring to the VAC BBTB. IIRC they are $700....
    yes... The BW one, IS the VAC one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanks95 View Post
    looking for intake elbow for a 75mm TB to 3.5" HFM?

Bimmerworld, no

VAC, no

Help?
    needs to be something custom to fit properly

Quote Originally Posted by alpina527 View Post
    The reason for a Cel on both the Dinan and Riot Bbtb is that the body is bored through at an angle.

This makes the TPS detect an incorrect setting.

The bore should be machined in the same straight fashion as the original body to allow the TPS to work properly.

Those castings look very thin in places!
    ZERO issues with my current Dinan BBTB, and no CELs

Quote Originally Posted by bigmansM View Post
    As previously stated. Dinan's BBTB design has some sort of issue with it that requires the software to avoid a CEL. Anyone that has a Dinan BBTB without a CEL is just plain luckey.

Either get the Dinan software or change your TB to stock of the RR BBTB. that's the only way to get rid of your CEL just like Gibber66

Gibber,
    I would really like to know if the CEL ever comes back with the RR BBTB. It shouldn't. If it does, your car probably has some sort of other issue.
    The RR BBTB uses a similar throttle plate setup to the OEM. There is a slight mistake in Dinan's throttle plate design when you have a BBTB based off an OEM unit. Todd at RR would kill me if I shared that info. though...
    you really seem to know EVERYTHING about RR. Do you work at RR, or go to their shop every other day? It sounds like you might as well be Todd from RR??

Quote Originally Posted by CMG View Post
    agree.. that's what I get when I read this thread from start to finish. Just as many issues with RR as Dinan. I dont care if there are Dinan cores at RR.

We'll see what happens. I currently have the Dinan BBTB with ZERO issues, and no CELs. Also have a stock TB.

Just picked up this beauty in a package deal with some new toys, so I will have to report on my 75mm experience as well

Last edited by 99MPower; 01-01-2013 at 08:04 PM.
    "Torque is like cowbell... you can never have too much." - Michael Cervi

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by 99MPower View Post
    you really seem to know EVERYTHING about RR. Do you work at RR, or go to their shop every other day? It sounds like you might as well be Todd from RR??
    I started the West Coast Riots car club when Todd started Riot Racing. I help him start his business and helpped him run it while I was in college. I also took over his username: BigmansM to continue to help people that support us.

Not that I have to explain myself to you

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    Ok.. so I was right... cool that ur helping people out, just wanted an explanation.. thats all

Makes sense now
    "Torque is like cowbell... you can never have too much." - Michael Cervi

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by 99MPower View Post
    Just picked up this beauty in a package deal with some new toys, so I will have to report on my 75mm experience as well
    Interesting! Nice shorty headers with V-band connectors. Are those custom adapted?

(Slight digression/threadjack: I'd be interested to know the length of the primaries. Not too difficult to measure before installation, bloody impossible after.)

Is that intake manifold already enlarged at the inlet for the 75mm TB?

Neil

My Cars
    1995 M3 e36
    I have a RR BBTB and Its pretty good.

Had the same TPS code that a poster is having, bought a new one and change it and it result that it was the TPS itself... Code now won't appear anymore.

0 issues and the quality is superb.

BTW Todd is a great and knowledgeable guy, a pleasure to do business with...

My Cars
    2002 M3 Coupe

You shouldn't be adjusting idle with the stop screw.

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    You shouldn't be adjusting idle with the stop screw.
    I have never heard this one before. What is the explaination behind this? Please remember that the e36 idle stop screw adjustment would have different effects of the E46 M3 throttle screw adjustment.

My Cars
    My E36 supercar
    I have never heard this one before. What is the explaination behind this? Please remember that the e36 idle stop screw adjustment would have different effects of the E46 M3 throttle screw adjustment.
    Because it's a closed loop system. Between the TPS and the ICV which are controlled by the DME via software.

My Cars
    2002 M3 Coupe
    No chance of ever having a Cel if it's done properly

My Cars
    M3, 850i, E30T, E55T
    I can confirm that no cable or stop screw adjustment could solve the CEL or low idle. Now I'm not sure if the low idle was present with the stock unit, but I don't think it was.

Icv was cleaned not but 8 months ago.

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    No chance of ever having a Cel if it's done properly

Is this a stock throttle body? It looks like the front and back end of the throttle body bore was opened up but the throttle plate was not changed.
    Am I correct?

My Cars
    2002 M3 Coupe
    Is this a stock throttle body? It looks like the front and back end of the throttle body bore was opened up but the throttle plate was not changed.
    Am I correct?
    No, it's bored in all three locations with a bigger butterfly

My Cars
    1998 e36
    I've just gotten a TPS fault. Had it cleared and it came right back, so it seems I have fallen victim to this also. Not sure if a new one will clear it or not, but worth a try I suppose.
    I explained why the code gets set here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25137656&postcount=221

I can fix this problem, reprogramming the ECU

My Cars
    '97 BMW 332ti
    Quote Originally Posted by hakentt View Post

I explained why the code gets set here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...&postcount=221

I can fix this problem, reprogramming the ECU
    You can program for the bbtb as well? Do you change the voltage values of the tps?

My Cars
    1998 e36
    Quote Originally Posted by Marv17 View Post
    You can program for the bbtb as well? Do you change the voltage values of the tps?
    No. Ecu constantly checks the MAF reading with TPS reading and if there is something off, it will trigger the TPS fault. I delete this check so the DME will not trow a TPS code for it

My Cars
    98 BMW Z3 2.8, 91 Volvo 940 SE
    No. Ecu constantly checks the MAF reading with TPS reading and if there is something off, it will trigger the TPS fault. I delete this check so the DME will not trow a TPS code for it
    I'll buy the argument in your earlier post (#221), what I'm really curious about is why it doesn't throw the CEL immediately. Whether I had the Dinan or the RR, the CEL wouldn't pop up until about 18+ miles of driving. Why the delay?...and does it have something to do with how aggressively I'm going to WOT? (I tried modulating my throttle activation to see if it made a difference, but always seemed to hit at ~18 miles). How easy would it be to delete the MAF-TPS check? Also, would going to the 540 or Porsche MAF make a difference in the CEL being thrown?

P.S. still back on stock throttle with no CEL...but definitely missing the "feel" of the BBTB.
    Last edited by Gibber66; 02-06-2013 at 10:58 AM.

'98 BMW Z3 2.8 -- S52 Cams/Dinan CAI & Twr Strut/Butt Strut/JC Shark/SS DTM Exhaust/Eurosport UDPs/Fan Delete/Eurosport M50 Mani/E30 3.73 LSD/JBRacing & RE LWF+Clutch/Evo M3 6-speed

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibber66 View Post
    I'll buy the argument in your earlier post (#221), what I'm really curious about is why it doesn't throw the CEL immediately. Whether I had the Dinan or the RR, the CEL wouldn't pop up until about 18+ miles of driving. Why the delay?...and does it have something to do with how aggressively I'm going to WOT? (I tried modulating my throttle activation to see if it made a difference, but always seemed to hit at ~18 miles). How easy would it be to delete the MAF-TPS check? Also, would going to the 540 or Porsche MAF make a difference in the CEL being thrown?

P.S. still back on stock throttle with no CEL...but definitely missing the "feel" of the BBTB.
    I have noticed the delay as well when testing with units. I dont know the exact cause of this. Some people told me it has to do with the emission control hardware working witht he software. But I never found a clear answer to this.

Have you talked to Todd about your problem? There really shouldnt be a CEL.

Good idea. The TPS check is redundant. The DME needs either signal and the HFM is the more precise signal. We did this to one of our race cars we built with a Standalone ECU (Motec)

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast