Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bore Throttle Body (BBTB) Comparison - Stock vs. Dinan vs. Riot Racing w/ Pics!!

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    Quote Originally Posted by FerM3 View Post
    no need to get butt hurt, bro.
    The relevant reference, you are missing.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuQK6t2Esng[/ame]

Ill probably end up buying the RR tb when I rebuild my top end.....but 700$ for 7 whp is crazy.
    It's been shown to be a bigger gain (10-15whp) when paired with much bigger cams. Stock and Sport cams obv flow less air and are less restricted by the TB opening.
    "Fear disturbs your concentration" -Sabine Schmit

1995 BMW M3/2/5-- S54 + Mk60 DSC, California Smog Legal (Build Thread)
    1998 BMW M3/4/5 Alpine/Modena, Z3 Rack, otherwise stock-- DD without burbles
    2017 Chevy SS, Orange Blast Metallic, 6MT -- DD with burbles

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    how in the world was i supposed to get that

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    how in the world was i supposed to get that
    I guess it'd be difficult if you don't watch south park.
    "Fear disturbs your concentration" -Sabine Schmit

1995 BMW M3/2/5-- S54 + Mk60 DSC, California Smog Legal (Build Thread)
    1998 BMW M3/4/5 Alpine/Modena, Z3 Rack, otherwise stock-- DD without burbles
    2017 Chevy SS, Orange Blast Metallic, 6MT -- DD with burbles

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    i do watch it...I just dont really like the canadian episodes.

My Cars
    '97 BMW 332ti
    Hey, everyone has their opinion. This discussion is about a bbtb by Dinan and Riot Racing. Some ppl think it's worth it and are just saying their results. If you don't think so then state your opinion but don't go attacking ppl and the discussion with childish remarks.
    Keep it insightful. If you hv nothing constructive to say then don't post. Just my two cents

My Cars
    e36M, 525iTA, 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmansM View Post
    Can't happen as Riot Racing is not a supporting vendor. Also, I don't think Riot Racing would want to participate in the group buy.

I'll contact them early next week and inquire about it. I'll post back and let everyone know how the conversation goes. Not that we're looking to beat someone up on price, but it's always nice to know customers are talking good about a product, and more are interested. Funny how it normally works with group buys and price vs. demand. Sort of reverses basic economic law, ha ha.

EDIT: I cant find any way of contacting them via the website, only buy now via paypal. . . anyone have an email address?
    Last edited by mgoods50; 03-10-2012 at 02:52 PM. Reason: revised info

My Cars
    '97 BMW 332ti
    I'll pm you their number

My Cars
    E46iT- Coma E36- RIP E34
    They already said they were uninterested.

My Cars
    '97 BMW 332ti
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post

was your bbtb from riot racing ever sticky?

mine is a little sticky when i first push on the gas. other than that it feels great. i can feel and hear the motor roar a little bit more than before.

I have underdrive pullies, m50 manifold, and dinan stage 1 tune. i'm enjoying it. just a little sticky tho :/

My Cars
    e36M, 525iTA, 525i/5
    Thanks for saving me the time. Good for them- must be nice to have that level of success.

My Cars
    M3, 850i, E30T, E55T
    Quote Originally Posted by Marv17 View Post

mine is a little sticky when i first push on the gas. other than that it feels great. i can feel and hear the motor roar a little bit more than before.

I have underdrive pullies, m50 manifold, and dinan stage 1 tune. i'm enjoying it. just a little sticky tho :/
    Did it bring some of the low end "feel" back that was lost with the M50? (If you noticed the loss, that is).

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by mgoods50 View Post
    Thanks for saving me the time. Good for them- must be nice to have that level of success.
    That's not the case at all. There are not enough core units to handle a group buy. We talked to Todd about this years ago. They have 3 or so core units of each model.

Let's say that 6 people were to order each model. the first 3 would get their BBTB's nearly immediately the next 3 would be at the mercy of the first 3 returning their core units in a reasonable amount of time. This would yield at least 3 unhappy people that would be waiting.

The concern was the group buy would hurt the company's reputation.

It's just difficult to have a group buy when a core exchange process is utilized.

Also, from what I was told. The Riot Racing BBTB's have not seen a price increase in 7 years. This likely means that profits were cut in order to maintain a fair market price for the product to maintain the claim of "Best bang for the buck" mod (Source: Eurotuner magazine)

Marv17: Call Todd. I told him this thread was back to life so he might be trolling but he doesn't get involved on the boards much anymore.

My Cars
    e36M, 525iTA, 525i/5

My stock TB was a bit sticky for a long time. I cleaned it, cleaned it, and cleaned it, to no avail. When I removed the intake to do some work underneath and had the TB apart, in my hand I really examined it and determined if I adjusted the return screw just a little, I could overcome that stick; it is now perfect. Something to check into, if yours is sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmansM View Post
    That's not the case at all. There are not enough core units to handle a group buy. We talked to Todd about this years ago. They have 3 or so core units of each model.

Let's say that 6 people were to order each model. the first 3 would get their BBTB's nearly immediately the next 3 would be at the mercy of the first 3 returning their core units in a reasonable amount of time. This would yield at least 3 unhappy people that would be waiting.

The concern was the group buy would hurt the company's reputation.

It's just difficult to have a group buy when a core exchange process is utilized.

Also, from what I was told. The Riot Racing BBTB's have not seen a price increase in 7 years. This likely means that profits were cut in order to maintain a fair market price for the product to maintain the claim of "Best bang for the buck" mod (Source: Eurotuner magazine)

Marv17: Call Todd. I told him this thread was back to life so he might be trolling but he doesn't get involved on the boards much anymore.
    I see. I didn't understand the units were made to order.
    Last edited by mgoods50; 03-13-2012 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E46iT- Coma E36- RIP E34

You need to adjust the idle stop screw on the throttle body. Let me see if i can find any instructions from Todd as i am pretty sure he sent me instructions on how to do it.

Not sure that its there level of success and that they are flying off the shelves, its that these are labor intensive and time consuming and there is just not much wiggle room. I think the price is spot on, any cheaper and i dont see how they could make money.

Quote Originally Posted by adamnur View Post
    Did it bring some of the low end "feel" back that was lost with the M50? (If you noticed the loss, that is).
    YESSSS!!!!!!!!! 100% yes to your questions. Butt Dyno records happy everywhere throughout the band, exhausts sound better, the throttle response is one of the best parts about it and that may be where you get the "feel" back. If you can't tell i 100% back this product just because i enjoy it sooo much. This mod is up there in before and after feel like a diff upgrade or lightweight flywheel. You can definetely tell something happened, and its a good something. On another note, i am shopping for a 528 DD, and this might be the only performance modification i do to it aside from a performance filter for the stock box...MAYBE a CAI.
    I think all the inline 6's should have had the throttle body made like this from the factory.

Edit: Ahh, something i didn't even think about regarding the group buys and the core return factor...thanks for chiming in BigmansM.
    Last edited by Captain; 03-13-2012 at 11:12 AM.

My Cars
    '97 BMW 332ti
    You need to adjust the idle stop screw on the throttle body. Let me see if i can find any instructions from Todd as i am pretty sure he sent me instructions on how to do it.
    alright. ill try it out tonight or tomorrow. those instructions would be helpful if you can find them. thanks.

My Cars
    1995 AW M3
    Ill probably end up buying the RR tb when I rebuild my top end.....but 700$ for 7 whp is crazy.
    Am I missing something? I thought the Riot Racing BBTB was $250.

My Cars
    E46iT- Coma E36- RIP E34
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric98Sedan View Post
    Am I missing something? I thought the Riot Racing BBTB was $250.
    It is. I believe he is referring to the VAC BBTB. IIRC they are $700....

My Cars
    '97 BMW 332ti
    Quote Originally Posted by adamnur View Post

yeah, it kind of did bring back some low end feel back up. Then again, i have a 3.25 LSD in my 318ti (compact) chassis ... so the weight difference helps a lot on the torque feel compared to a coupe or sedan. but comparing what i had felt before in my car it does feel more responsive on the low end and high end too. i'm happy with the bbtb, just have to fix the sticky feeling though. i'll do the screw adjuster in the morning.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Just curious, does anyone happen to know WHY the Dinan BBTB whistles while it works? Did they just happen to luck into chosing the very bore size that reaches some sort of evil harmonic frequency thing, or is there some other detail about their assembly that is the culprit? Has anyone ever fiddled around with a Dinan and managed to reduce or eliminate that godforsaken racket? I am really happy with the performance, but on a beautiful spring day like today, tooling through the hills with the windows open, hearing that "runaway pinging" sound was a real mood killer. If it was my stock tb I would gladly go for a Riot. But having the Dinan, it's hard to justify the cost for such a tiny upgrade, so I'd really love to have a way to "fix" the dreaded Dinan dirge.

My Cars
    e36M, 525iTA, 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by GRGibson View Post
    Just curious, does anyone happen to know WHY the Dinan BBTB whistles while it works? Did they just happen to luck into chosing the very bore size that reaches some sort of evil harmonic frequency thing, or is there some other detail about their assembly that is the culprit? Has anyone ever fiddled around with a Dinan and managed to reduce or eliminate that godforsaken racket? I am really happy with the performance, but on a beautiful spring day like today, tooling through the hills with the windows open, hearing that "runaway pinging" sound was a real mood killer. If it was my stock tb I would gladly go for a Riot. But having the Dinan, it's hard to justify the cost for such a tiny upgrade, so I'd really love to have a way to "fix" the dreaded Dinan dirge.
    A fellow alliterator- thanks for making my day!

My Cars
    E46iT- Coma E36- RIP E34
    Quote Originally Posted by GRGibson View Post
    My car has a turbo whistle too at certain throttle...i do not believe it is the throttle body. Do you have a silicone elbow asc delete?

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    My car has a turbo whistle too at certain throttle...i do not believe it is the throttle body. Do you have a silicone elbow asc delete?
    Yes, in fact I installed the BW silicone elbow myself, so I know it was making the noise both before and after. No change. I was thinking about it and trying to pay attention today, and noticed it seemed to be throttle position dependent, fairly independently of engine speed. In other words, if you hit that "sweet spot," you can hold the throttle there and it will continue to chirp even though engine revs are increasing. This would seem to rule out a "harmonic" effect, as that should only happen at some particular RPM. The OP I think said something about only the Riot being bored to the point of being a truly straight shot. If the Dinan increased the bore, but a portion of transitional change was left, it might no kidding just happen to "fit" perfectly with the throttle blade when it is at a partially open position, such that it actually does "whistle." Hmm.

Well, I've finished all my big projects for this winter, maybe if I get bored this weekend I'll whip the thing off and study it a bit more, maybe see if there is a tiny sharp edge left by the boring that could be blended or something. I'll report if I find anything astonishing.

My Cars
    e36M, 525iTA, 525i/5
    I calibrated my butt dyno, just in time for my parts to arrive. I'll be installing the BBTB alone, so I'll report back and let you know what I think. I've got some other mods I'm doing, but they are substantial enough to throw off the calibration.

(3.5 MAF, AFE intake, 24# injectors. . . plus, I just learned automatic's and 24#'ers don't play nice together. So, I've gotta wait in the heavy hitting fuel end until the transmission swap. That's gonna be a bit, since I'm going to be out of town for about a week, and I have to work too at some point )
    "It's not what you buy- it's what you build" - unknown
    Quote Originally Posted by EnlightenMe View Post
    Thanks, you've been more help than most mechanics in Souther California.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beitie View Post
    Yet another great post mgoods50!
    Quote Originally Posted by gorillajin View Post
    Thank you everybody who inputs here, specially mgoods50!

My Cars
    E46iT- Coma E36- RIP E34
    I calibrated my butt dyno, just in time for my parts to arrive. I'll be installing the BBTB alone, so I'll report back and let you know what I think. I've got some other mods I'm doing, but they are substantial enough to throw off the calibration.

(3.5 MAF, AFE intake, 24# injectors. . . plus, I just learned automatic's and 24#'ers don't play nice together. So, I've gotta wait in the heavy hitting fuel end until the transmission swap. That's gonna be a bit, since I'm going to be out of town for about a week, and I have to work too at some point )
    do you have the software for for those upgrades?

My Cars
    E46iT- Coma E36- RIP E34
    Ok, getting the PO121 CEL i got everyonce in a while (and cleared itself) after installing the Riot Racing BBTB and i am not sure it is going away this time. Anyone else get this CEL with their BBTB?

The code is for the Throttle Position Sensor, so i replaced it with a brand new BMW unit and the code came back.

This is the code i received with my Dinan BBTB which is of course the reason i do not have it anymore.

Can't really have any mods on my car that throw a CEL, anyone else with this CEL?

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast