Thread: Need help clearing VIN from a used TCM (EGS)

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i AT Sedan

Need help clearing VIN from a used TCM (EGS) - SUCCESS!

To make a long story short, a failing alternator on my E39 (540i) took the TCM out with it. Now I have fixed everything (I put in a new alternator, battery and ignition switch) but the TCM is unresponsive to the dealer's computer.

Instead of paying $1,350 for a brand new TCM, I decided to try a salvage yard part ($200).

The new unit is responsive and an Indy BMW shop programed it for me, but the salvaged TCM still has the old VIN associated to it, so my car won't even start when it's installed.

Can someone please walk me through my best, cheapest option to clear the old VIN? Can I use BMW Scanner 1.36 with a USB-ODBII-20 Pin cable (CAN Bus compliant) to enter my VIN? Is this a straightforward process?

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

EDIT - The VIN has now been updated thanks to the help I got on this thread. Thanks guys! Now the starter still won't engage, so perhaps the VIN wasn't what was stopping it? Progress at least...
    Last edited by E39Fisch; 10-07-2011 at 02:24 AM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i AT Sedan
    I just got this reply from Alex at PA Soft...

"Unfortunately our software can't change VIN in transmission control."

So it seems PA Soft BMW Scanner can't do it. Does anyone know a way to zero out a transmission control module?

My Cars
    BMW E46 CIC.E53 X5.
    Hi i think that WinKFP will do this job for you try to set up version 5.1.6 as this seems to be very stable.

My Cars
    some
    I am having a similar issue right now also. I have a 2000 E46 323i that i just swapped the EGS in. I tried PAsoft and the VIN area is grayed out. What other ways are there to change the VIN? My car will start though, just wont let me access the module completely.

Anyone have a procedure for WinKFP? i loaded it but was completely lost.
    I think i will give this a try, just not sure if it will change the VIN http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1572349
    How do you know your programming only the EGS module with WinKFP?
    Last edited by infinkc; 09-30-2011 at 10:24 AM.

My Cars
    BMW E46 CIC.E53 X5.
    Hi this is from the manual and indicates that the vin is re written in the UIF .when you re flash a module.
    Attached Files Attached Files

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i AT Sedan
    Hi Rondo... thanks so much. Since you have obviously used this tool extensively, would you please be so kind as to list the steps to get to the right screen to program the TCM/EGS VIN? After reading the manual a bit I think it goes something like the below, but I don't want to cook any components!

Does it go like this(?) :

1] Hit F1 "Komfort-Modus"
    2] Hit F2 "ZUSB auswählen"
    3] select appropriate TCM part number
    4] select "Enter VIN" button (which presumably appears after step 3
    5] Enter the new VIN

Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by rondo View Post
    Hi i think that WinKFP will do this job for you try to set up version 5.1.6 as this seems to be very stable.
    I have installed WinKFP 4.2.3 as it was all I could find. Do you know where I can find 5.1.6? Thanks!
    Last edited by E39Fisch; 09-30-2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    BMW E46 CIC.E53 X5.
    Hi this is my e46 guide you will need to be certain which module you have for your car[found by reading the existing UIF in Inpa or WinKFP etc.].I found loading the daten to be challenging but there are guides on this site that will help.oops. DO NOT check the fast baudrate in the ini. file for your car..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by rondo; 09-30-2011 at 03:06 PM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i AT Sedan
    Rondo - you're the best.

Thank you very much! Any advice on where to find WinKFP 5.1.6? All links I have found are either dead or password-protected.

When this process is done, I presume only the TCM I entered is touched... is there any chance of accidentally reprograming other components? I obviously don't want to screw up the ZME, ECU, etc...
    Last edited by E39Fisch; 09-30-2011 at 03:13 PM.

My Cars
    BMW E46 CIC.E53 X5.
    WinKFP will only destroy one module at a time if used as above guide check PM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i AT Sedan
    Success! I reprogrammed the TCM today using WinKFP and Gert's ADS cable! The TCM now reads the correct VIN and seems to have been programmed correctly because the dash PRND 432 indicators now show the shift position (they didn't before). PROGRESS!

My only problem now is that the starter won't engage - EWS issue of some kind?? Either that or the ODO readings need to be in sync? Well... I feel a solid step closer anyway. Many thanks!

My Cars
    BMW E46 CIC.E53 X5.
    Hi good job on the WinKFP flash .You can use your Inpa to diagnose the start problem go to the ews tests and check that the ews is seeing the neutral switch and that the key is good etc.I dont have E39 to see exact tests available but the diagnostics are there in inpa.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i AT Sedan
    Yes... it showed one error:

15 Power on Reset

Frequency: 20

I cleared it and tried to start (no start) and checked again... no ews errors now. So I'm thinking this was a low power problem back when my battery and alternator were bad (?) The error does not come back, but still no start.

This is interesting: Under ISN Number / Password, I have the following error: ERROR_ECU_REJECTED

Hrm.... after some deep research on the ISN process, I have finally concluded that a used TCM/EGS can NEVER be reprogrammed to work with another vehicle manufactured after 3/97. Unfortunately that applies to me.

Page 22 of this EWS system PDF states that vehicles with an EWS III system do the following when any DME is changed:

"The DME will automatically burn the “Rolling Code Table” into its memory. Once the table has been burned into the DME memory it can NOT be changed."

Well, at least I learned a heck of a lot during this investigation. Time to pony up $1,200 for a brand new TCM. Sigh.
    Last edited by E39Fisch; 10-07-2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    535i E34
    You need to sync DME and EWS with inpa and it'll work, TCM doesn't affect starting as long as it shows that car is in P or N.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i AT Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Cell View Post
    You need to sync DME and EWS with inpa and it'll work, TCM doesn't affect starting as long as it shows that car is in P or N.
    Hi Cell,

I did both Store and Reset and I still have the "ERROR_ECU_REJECTED" message in the ISN field.... still won't start. Also, the EWS error - "15 Power-On-Reset" is back. But that might be because I had the battery disconnected. There is a sticker on the TCM that shows the VIN number... why would they do that if the TCM isn't paired like the other DME units?

What are the "Wires" shown in this image?
    Last edited by E39Fisch; 10-07-2011 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    535i E34
    There are no DME units, just one DME in a petrol powered car. DME = Digital Motor Electronics = engine ecu

Store and reset in EWS or also sync in DME? Can't remember without looking exactly how it was done in your car, but when you get that kind of error after failing alternator/died battery, it is EWS-DME rolling code sync problem.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3
    Can someone send me a copy of WinKFP ...please.