View Poll Results: What do you think of this write-up and the mod?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very helpful AND looks awesome!

92 76.67%
  • Very helpful but looks alright.

10 8.33%
  • Very helpful but doesn't look nice.

0 0%
  • Alright but looks nice.

8 6.67%
  • Alright but doesn't look nice.

1 0.83%
  • Ehh, not very helpful but looks nice/alright.

5 4.17%
  • Not very helpful and ugly.

4 3.33%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HIDs in Fogs write-up!

My Cars
    Daytona Violet
    here is my set up....

Bosch Ballasts from a 5 series with Osram Xenarc D2R...
    no cutting directly to the harness..

d

My Cars
    Silver 1999 ///M3
    NIce writeup clumpymold!

Im about to grab a pair of OEM BMW HIDS and throw them into my fogs, so this is very useful! Thanks

My Cars
    Daytona Violet
    I also sell the ballasts...if anyone is interested they are bosch ballast with osram or phillips bulbs.

Pm me if anyone is interested

D

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Originally posted by DDEM3
    NIce writeup clumpymold!

Im about to grab a pair of OEM BMW HIDS and throw them into my fogs, so this is very useful! Thanks
    Awesome! You are pretty much the reason why I do these write-ups. I feel that I've gotten so much out of reading other people's write-ups that I ought to return the favor. Good luck and please post pictures when you're done.

2005 Audi (Purchased 07/09) - 2005 Yamaha R6 (Raven) (Purchased 5/06)
    07/97 BMW (Sold 08/09) - 03/01 Audi A4 1.8TMCX (Sold 06/03)

Please do NOT PM me! Email me: clumpymold@sbcglobal.net

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe - 2014 435i
    clumpy, yes I do exactly what you did, sorry I missed that. If I were to do it over again I would use zip-ties to hold the ballasts down since the velcro could get wet under there, but if the velcro feels nice and firm then just use that maybe add a zip-tie or two just to be safe.
    -Joe

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Originally posted by m///teknik
    here is my set up....

Bosch Ballasts from a 5 series with Osram Xenarc D2R...
    no cutting directly to the harness..

d
    What sort of angel eyes are you running? They look similar to mine.

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Originally posted by QuestMCoupe
    clumpy, yes I do exactly what you did, sorry I missed that. If I were to do it over again I would use zip-ties to hold the ballasts down since the velcro could get wet under there, but if the velcro feels nice and firm then just use that maybe add a zip-tie or two just to be safe.
    Yeah, my velcro is pretty secure. It actually takes quite a bit of effort just to remove the ballasts. I'm more afraid of the foglight falling out though. The brackets, in general, don't really seem that secure. I mean, what's up with the fact that you can remove them from outside of the car? Couldn't anybody just steal them then? I think I'll zip tie my fogs.

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Bump on this.

My Cars
    96 328is
    I have oem ballasts and bulbs for sale pm me or email me dtmbmw328@hotmail.com

My Cars
    99 M3
    how would you install the HIDs in the fogs w/out cutting the stock harness/wires?

ACS | AA | Conforti | UUC | JTD | Ro_JA | Pirelli | ZKW | DDEL+ | FK | Viper | Philips | Xtec | Rieger | Hartge | RE

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by KaOTiKM3
    how would you install the HIDs in the fogs w/out cutting the stock harness/wires?
    I would assume you'd have to drill a hole into the back of the fog light harness (white "lid" that screws on the back of the foglight) to allow for the wires to go through. Then you'd have to silicone it up to prevent any moisture from getting in (or perhaps use some rubber grommet?). Not sure really. But I'm guessing that would be one way.

You could always just find a way to secure the bulb to the foglight housing without using the back of that lid.

My Cars
    E36 Bmw
    wow.. ur low beams r awsome color..

is it because of the angle of the low beams vs fogs? or are your fogs and low beams closely same color?

good job!
    -nathan

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan
    wow.. ur low beams r awsome color..

is it because of the angle of the low beams vs fogs? or are your fogs and low beams closely same color?

good job!
    -nathan
    Thanks! Yeah, not only is the angle a bit different (my fogs are literally aimed to the ground 2-3 feet in front - have yet to fix that), but the reflection in the fogs is not so nice. Not really sure but I'll be putting in another HID kit soon to determine if it's the fog light housing or the HID kit bulbs.

All my HID kits (including my third one) are 6000K. One Philips kit with Philips ballasts, one Osram kit with Hella ballasts and one Xtec kit with Xtec ballasts.

-Curtis

My Cars
    E36 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by clumpymold
    All my HID kits (including my third one) are 6000K. One Philips kit with Philips ballasts, one Osram kit with Hella ballasts and one Xtec kit with Xtec ballasts.
    Nice job Clumpy ! ! !

Which kit do you prefer?
    I would like to put HID's on my 325i.

Thanks

My Cars
    M5, E61
    Quote Originally Posted by KaOTiKM3
    There is no way to do that. The wires are attached to the bottom of the connector piece.

What clumpy did is absolutely correct and maintains stock weather sealing around the back of the bulb.

Alex, D2Ss aren't easily or at all installable into fogs. Wouldn't waste your time. Just save the ballasts.

My Cars
    M3
    Come on guys - HID fogs are just for fun - we all know no one REALLY needs them.

I have the Böhmen 5000k H1 kit in my car (click the link on my sig). I got them from www.proxenon.com for $300

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    WoW... great job on being creative...
    Proudly sponsored by ElusiveFX

My Cars
    E36 Bmw
    Thanks! Yeah, not only is the angle a bit different (my fogs are literally aimed to the ground 2-3 feet in front - have yet to fix that), but the reflection in the fogs is not so nice. Not really sure but I'll be putting in another HID kit soon to determine if it's the fog light housing or the HID kit bulbs.

-Curtis
    oh i ment,, hows the quality of the xtec vs the phillips kit vs the osram u have.. in terms of color..
    even tho they're 'advertised' as 6,000k some can look better/worse than others..

cuz im still debating whether to go with that 500cdn$ deal or get some good quality phillips hids..

-nathan

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    SkyCityBMW & nathan:

I have yet to install my Xtec kit but will most likely do a write-up on how to install HIDs into my high beams. Haven't seen one yet (not like many people would do that anyway). I plan to put my Osram 6000k kit that are currently in my fogs in my high beams instead since I use the fogs the most. The Osram kit was used and the Xtec kit is new. I'll do one side at a time to compare.

I probably won't get around to this until next week so I won't have any results/opinions then.

I did notice, however, that my fogs look considerably different in terms of color vs. my low beams. Not sure if it's the kit or the fogs themselves. If I can figure it out, I may just put each kit into my low beams and compare. We'll see. Also, this won't really be a good comparison since my Philips and Osram kits are used compared to my new Xtec kit. It MAY favor the cheaper, Xtec kit.

IMAGE&STYLE: THANKS!

Out of curiousity now. Is this how others install HIDs into their fogs? I haven't seen a write-up so I really dunno.

My Cars
    M5, E61
    SkyCityBMW & nathan:

I have yet to install my Xtec kit but will most likely do a write-up on how to install HIDs into my high beams. Haven't seen one yet (not like many people would do that anyway). I plan to put my Osram 6000k kit that are currently in my fogs in my high beams instead since I use the fogs the most. The Osram kit was used and the Xtec kit is new. I'll do one side at a time to compare.

I probably won't get around to this until next week so I won't have any results/opinions then.

I did notice, however, that my fogs look considerably different in terms of color vs. my low beams. Not sure if it's the kit or the fogs themselves. If I can figure it out, I may just put each kit into my low beams and compare. We'll see. Also, this won't really be a good comparison since my Philips and Osram kits are used compared to my new Xtec kit. It MAY favor the cheaper, Xtec kit.

IMAGE&STYLE: THANKS!

Out of curiousity now. Is this how others install HIDs into their fogs? I haven't seen a write-up so I really dunno.
    it's the reflector inside the fog.

I have two different fogs - ZKW and Hella, at certain angles the HIDs look the same at others they look different as night and day.

Straight on, they are the same.

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by umnitza
    it's the reflector inside the fog.

I have two different fogs - ZKW and Hella, at certain angles the HIDs look the same at others they look different as night and day.

Straight on, they are the same.
    Ahh, I thought so. That would explain why my passenger side is a bit off. I sorta drilled a bit too far while enlarging the hole (my friend wasn't holding the fog tight enough). Maybe I'll have to fix that before the comparison. I would ideally like the same housing unit for all three bulbs and I'll most likely put them in my lows.

My Cars
    '90 BMW 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedbydsign9
    It defo looks good cause if you were to drive with your headlights and fogs on and have NO hids in your fogs... youd just look like jackass.
    I disagree. Having halogens on for the fogs at the same time as HID's accentuates the blueness or whiteness of your HID's.

I only drive with my fogs on in the fog or rain, anyway.

'01 740iL Sport, Titanium Silver SOLD / FS: '03 Honda Odyssey EX-L Navi SOLD
    Member of the "Def, Lupin III, SpasticDwarf, and Sweetride01 know physics" club

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    How far will fogs with HIDs shine? Could you aim them waaay down the road (such that they'd blind everyone around) like driving lights?
    Drew | Dinomite.net
    1997 Boston Green ///M3 Coupe Lightweight wheels, non-luxury, no sunroof.
    1994 Volvo 940 Race Wagon

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by dinomite
    How far will fogs with HIDs shine? Could you aim them waaay down the road (such that they'd blind everyone around) like driving lights?
    I don't think you can even aim them remotely upwards. Tried even moving them up but wouldn't work. Mine aim pretty much at the ground 2-3 feet in front of the car.

They're bright, nonetheless.

You can, however, keep them on with your high beams so you could blind everybody that way :

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?p=2613848

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast