View Poll Results: What do you think of this write-up and the mod?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very helpful AND looks awesome!

92 76.67%
  • Very helpful but looks alright.

10 8.33%
  • Very helpful but doesn't look nice.

0 0%
  • Alright but looks nice.

8 6.67%
  • Alright but doesn't look nice.

1 0.83%
  • Ehh, not very helpful but looks nice/alright.

5 4.17%
  • Not very helpful and ugly.

4 3.33%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: HIDs in Fogs write-up!

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6

HIDs in Fogs write-up!

Hey fellas. Haven't found a decent write-up on this so I decided to make one myself. If this is a repost or you have questions, please don't hesitate to IM me (clumpymold) or email me (clumpymold@sbcglobal.net).

Items used:

- Osram 6000K HID kit (Osram H1 bulbs) with Hella ballasts (~$450-500)
    - Diamond fogs with H1 bulbs (found here for ~$100:eBay auction! - YES, I know mrclam is offering them for $55 but I paid for these BEFORE then ).

Tools used:

- Scissors (or, even better, wire strippers)
    - Female and male connectors (or butt connectors, whichever you prefer but I used these since these are easier to remove)
    - Velcro (4ft. pack at Home Depot ~$9.00 ...you can also use screws or double-sided tape. This is for sticking the ballast to the car.)
    - Crimper

Overall, this is a relatively EASY install and took me about an hour or two (and I'm REALLY slow as I clean everything and take my time) but may take you less than 30 minutes or more if you're new to this stuff. I also did the "cheap"/simple method rather than "clean" in that I didn't use any solder/soldering iron.

I'm also showing you only the driver's side because I assume you guys can figure out that the passenger side is identical.

Anyway, here you have the stock foglight connector that plugs into the back of your fogs. Bulbs are H1 for the fogs as well as the HID kit:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by clumpymold; 01-28-2004 at 07:00 AM.

2005 Audi (Purchased 07/09) - 2005 Yamaha R6 (Raven) (Purchased 5/06)
    07/97 BMW (Sold 08/09) - 03/01 Audi A4 1.8TMCX (Sold 06/03)

Please do NOT PM me! Email me: clumpymold@sbcglobal.net

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Okay, I've been hearing so much about "grounding" and making sure to do it. But I'm still VERY confused as to why. These bulbs are already grounded! If someone can give me some input as to why, I'd appreciate it. This method worked anyway without additional grounding.

Anyway, I'm basically going to wire my ballast in series to this connection so I'll need to cut this connection to attach the connector onto the wires coming from the ballast. I'll have to do the same for the ballast wires.

Here's another shot of the foglight connector:

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    I also had to cut the wires going to the HID bulb. The power wires, at first, seemed like really heavy gauge so I was afraid that the wires I'm connecting them too won't be thick enough to support the current. But most of the wire is just some fiber optic insulation of some sort. So I'm figuring it's okay.

Here's a picture of the foglight connector cut out, the HID bulb wires cut and the foglight cap removed. I will basically wire the wires coming from the ballast and going to the HID bulb into the foglight connector/plug. I will then plug it into the foglight cap and wire those wires (white=power, black=ground) into the HID bulb using connectors.

Here's what I have so far before connecting everything:

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Here's everything ready to be plugged together. The foglight cap will basically plug to the appropriate wires and then the ballast will plug into the foglight cap.

You MAY have to drill to modify your foglight holder to accept the HID bulb. I had to modify one of the dimples on the HID bulb to fit in one of the fogs and I had to drill a slightly bigger hole in the other one to fit the HID bulb.

Here's what I have so far:
    Last edited by clumpymold; 01-28-2004 at 07:02 AM.

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    I then took the original foglight connection (with the foglight connector/plug removed) and connected my stock ballast wires (which was originally used to provide additional ground) to them. So the foglight connection now plugs into the ballast using the proper ballast plug. See below:

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Now, just attach some velcro to the back of the ballast and mount inside the foglight space. Lots of room but I mounted it towards the outer edge between some screws. Be careful not to stick it on some screws (otherwise, it'll be a pain to remove your trim if need be). I used velcro since I can move it if I run into any problems. I used the rough part on the ballast and the soft, fuzzy side on the car (don't know why but I thought it was better). I would also recommend using more on the car in case you decide to reposition the ballast slightly.

After putting everything together, this is what I have. The angel eyes are Lava Lighting in ZKW ellipsoids. I also did the parking light delete. If you want to see more pictures at lower light settings, please let me know. I also have some with both HID kits on, if interested (the other is a Philips 6000K kit in the lo-beams).

So...without further ado, here are the results:
    Last edited by clumpymold; 01-28-2004 at 07:05 AM.

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    And for those wondering what the "before" looked like. Here you go:

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Okay, here's one with both HID kits running and a lower light setting (eyebrows and missing passenger grill to be put on once my color-matched spray paint comes this Friday ):

My Cars
    98 M3/4
    NOICE!!! :

I actually liked what you did w/ your install. I didnt do that. I never cut the factory wiring harness, just in case I wanted to go back to stock. But... nonetheless... looks good. If I can get my hands on a new digi-cam ill pop out one of my fogs and snap some pics. Also....I used the same setup that M3Style95.. used.

Oh yea.... im running 4300K... im thinking of switching to 6000K... love the purplish color it gives off
    Stunna... At the Bar, Stunnin'!!!
    98 M3/4
    ***Car is going thru a restoration/modding phaze***

My Cars
    BMW 323IS, 2004 X3 3.0i
    I think HID's in the fogs are over kill if you already have HID's in your headlights. Nonetheless good job.

[/b]

My Cars
    e34 525i
    It defo looks good cause if you were to drive with your headlights and fogs on and have NO hids in your fogs... youd just look like jackass.
    Buy me Boost!

My Cars
    '06 RX-8, '06 MX-5, '04 GTI 1.8T
    Looks great! Be careful that your new fogs don't fall out when you are driving aggresively. I've had one of my fogs fall out about three times. Sometimes the bulb breaks sometimes it doesn't, but I know you don't want to buy another HID bulb. That all said, I really like it. Good job!
    Thomas / 97 M3 Sedan SOLD!

My Cars
    1995 Cosmos M3
    : Looks great, very clean!
    ::1995 Cosmos M3 Coupe Lux/5spd::

My Cars
    98 M3/4
    You need to find a way to secure the foglight housing. I used my own lil ghetto method... I used pieces of rubber we had laying around the house.... cut them real thin and slid them between the housing and the body so the fog light doesnt move at all. Also.... STONGARD those bad boys
    98 M3/4

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Thank you all for your great comments. I actually posted this in case anybody was interested in doing this themselves.

Originally posted by R.Stunna
    NOICE!!! :

I actually liked what you did w/ your install. I didnt do that. I never cut the factory wiring harness, just in case I wanted to go back to stock. But... nonetheless... looks good. If I can get my hands on a new digi-cam ill pop out one of my fogs and snap some pics. Also....I used the same setup that M3Style95.. used.

Oh yea.... im running 4300K... im thinking of switching to 6000K... love the purplish color it gives off
    What setup is M3Style95 using?

Yeah, you really should get yourself a digicam. I honestly think that should be any car enthusiasts FIRST mod. Immortalize your car (as well as document all installs ).

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Originally posted by 97Msedan
    Looks great! Be careful that your new fogs don't fall out when you are driving aggresively. I've had one of my fogs fall out about three times. Sometimes the bulb breaks sometimes it doesn't, but I know you don't want to buy another HID bulb. That all said, I really like it. Good job!
    Yeah, I noticed that my fogs weren't really secure. I had to really tinker with the bracket (even worse with my ZKWs before). Until I really secured it, I could just push the foglight out from the outer edge. But when I secured it, it's really snug.

I really DO have to find a better way to secure these seeing that I really don't want to buy another foglight let alone another HID bulb.

Any suggestions?

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    You need to find a way to secure the foglight housing. I used my own lil ghetto method... I used pieces of rubber we had laying around the house.... cut them real thin and slid them between the housing and the body so the fog light doesnt move at all. Also.... STONGARD those bad boys
    Rubber pieces? My foglight doesn't move at all. I did, however, move a little when it wasn't that secure. But when it's really snug in it's bracket, it doesn't move at all.

Oh, I did buy some Stongard and tried putting one on. NOT good. Since these are diamond fogs, the Stongard makes them look sorta "white". I think the Stongards are good for OEM "clear" fogs and headlights.

With that said, anyone want a set of Stongard's for your headlights and/or fogs? Headlight ones are new fogs, only one has been used (just put on quickly then removed - still in good perfect condition). Let me know.

My Cars
    98 M3/4
    Heres a pic of CJ's... hope he doesnt mind me re-posting it

Wow.... the STONGARD gave you a yellowish effect? Hmmm
    98 M3/4

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe - 2014 435i
    Nice job!

I did this to my old e36 a long time ago with an OEM HID kit from a 5 series. I used some D2R bulbs though. All I did was drill the foglight bulb holder and stick the D2R bulb in there.
    -Joe

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Heres a pic of CJ's... hope he doesnt mind me re-posting it

Wow.... the STONGARD gave you a yellowish effect? Hmmm
    I see. So what's the point of using the relay for an HID kit? I had one also (for one of my kits). Didn't use it though and it still worked fine.

Also, the Stongard didn't give me a yellowish effect. Sorry, my "stock" fogs were ZKW clear (stock to me since that's what it came with) and not yellow (is that stock?). My new fogs are diamond clear so when I put these on, it doesn't look clear anymore.

I think they would look/help on the non-clear fogs though.

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Originally posted by QuestMCoupe
    Nice job!

I did this to my old e36 a long time ago with an OEM HID kit from a 5 series. I used some D2R bulbs though. All I did was drill the foglight bulb holder and stick the D2R bulb in there.
    Looks awesome! What kelvin rating are those? Any problems yet? Fogs okay? No falling out, right? I'm worried my fogs will fall out and I'll have to buy new HID bulbs (which may be good because then I can get Philips bulbs to match my headlights ).

What about the plugs? The ballast? Did it just plug directly in (the wires)?

What sort of bulbs are you "supposed" to use for your fogs?

My Cars
    '03 X5 4.4i Sport, E320
    Looks good, you left the diffuser in the fogs I assume? Also, did you simply plug in the stock 9006 connector for the low beam into the ballasts (for the low beams)? I need to pick up another set of ballasts and bulbs for my fogs.
    Todd Maurer
    Past - 5 E36s, 1 E39, 1 MB W210 E320, 1 GMC 6.5 ECLB, B6 A4 3.0 6 Spd Quattro
    Present - '05 E320 CDI, '06 VW TDI Jetta 5 Spd, '02 Ford F250 CCSB PSD, '02 Ducati Monster S4

Mods: 92* Thermostat, MB to BMW Wheel Adapters, 18" BMW Style 72 Wheels, Custom Mercedes-Benz Diesel Plate Frame

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe - 2014 435i
    clumpymold-the car was totalled in November unfortanetely, but I have the M Coupe now.

The bulbs were stock 4100k but I eventually just went to H7 hyperwhites. What happened was I didnt secure the ballasts well, so one fell on the freeway, that was my fault, but the foglights themselves always stayed on with no problem.

I just cut of the stock plug, then spliced the wires and connected the ballasts straight to the wires and then taped them up, worked fine.

The bulbs you are supposed to use should have the strip on them which are D2R bulbs, made for reflective housings. Oh and I did leave the diffuser in my fogs.
    -Joe

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Originally posted by toddman35
    Looks good, you left the diffuser in the fogs I assume? Also, did you simply plug in the stock 9006 connector for the low beam into the ballasts (for the low beams)? I need to pick up another set of ballasts and bulbs for my fogs.
    What do you mean by diffuser? There's this little bulb shaped thing that "covers" the bulb. I left that on, if that's what you mean. I wanted to remove that but I really couldn't unless I take apart the foglight housing. I actually drilled into one by accident when I was drilling the hole to make it larger. My friend was holding it down but didn't hold tight enough. Sure enough, the foglight started spinning upward into my drill. Pushed that diffuser way up.

Pretty much fixed it though. How will it look if the diffuser was removed?

Anyone have any pictures of HIDs in fogs with the diffuser removed? Wouldn't that be blinding since there are no proper projectors? Or you don't need it with D2R bulbs?

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Originally posted by QuestMCoupe
    clumpymold-the car was totalled in November unfortanetely, but I have the M Coupe now.

The bulbs were stock 4100k but I eventually just went to H7 hyperwhites. What happened was I didnt secure the ballasts well, so one fell on the freeway, that was my fault, but the foglights themselves always stayed on with no problem.

I just cut of the stock plug, then spliced the wires and connected the ballasts straight to the wires and then taped them up, worked fine.

The bulbs you are supposed to use should have the strip on them which are D2R bulbs, made for reflective housings. Oh and I did leave the diffuser in my fogs.
    How did you secure the ballasts? I used velcro. Is that enough, you think? It's industrial strength if that matters.

When you cut into the stock plug, then spliced the wires, isn't that sort of the same as what I did?

What if you use D2S bulbs instead of D2R bulbs?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast