Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 1844

Thread: Noob Drift Build :) - E36 turbo

My Cars
    2006 Z4M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeE36 View Post
    Bookin it today at Harris Hill Road

3.15 diff

Mike
    Are you still on the original 4 clutch kit unsprung LSD you got from bimmerdiffs (now thayer motorsport) ?

if yes, that's very impressive, can you give more details and review the 4 clutch kit ?

My Cars
    BMW e36 328I
    Just read this whole build, awesome job Mike! You have such a great BMW! Keep up the awesome drifting and track racing man!

Still waiting on pics and videos of your girl drifting though 😜

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Testing the new turbo today. 8374 EFR 1.05 A/R, 26psi on E85 in this video! Feels good! 3.15 diff on 265 tire:

Enjoy! Please give it a thumbs up and subscribe on youtube if you guys like any of this money wasting I do

Mike
    IG: @mikevanshellenbeck

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    Sounds amazing! Pick up any power?

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    96 328IS, 08 IB E92 M3
    Mike, still would like to hear from you on that angle kit from MG solutions!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by douglee25 View Post
    I wouldn't imagine any more PEAK power, but a crap ton more usable powerband now
    Anthony Bartolini
    Loki Motorsports
    -2008 A30 E92 M3 6MT-
    -1996 328is Drift Car-
    Stock Internal M52
    M50 Manifold
    PTE 6262, ARP's, .140 MLS
    OBX T4 Top Mount
    Tial 44mm MVR
    Tial Q 50mm
    Open Dump Love <3

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by douglee25 View Post
    It feels basically the same, but even more responsive than before. I upped it to 30psi by the end of the day and grenaded 3rd gear. The spool feels insane like nitrous when I touch the clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki Motorsport View Post
    Mike, still would like to hear from you on that angle kit from MG solutions!

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't imagine any more PEAK power, but a crap ton more usable powerband now
    Shoot me another message, sorry I missed it!

Here is how to grenade a ZF after comp - SEND IT!

Mike

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    No bueno! Haha!

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Whoops, I posted this in your thread in the F/I section by accident (I searched your threads and picked the wrong one):

Dude, you're an internet sensation!

Question for you, I notice you don't just let the wheel spin via self-steer like the S-chassis guys seem to do. Is that something about the E36 chassis, or just your personal preference?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Haha I watched that the other day and was like damn, he psyched himself out in that last round. Looked like he started off the comp super strong and the driving was on point and by the end it looked a lot more panicked and less fluid. I know that headspace all too well in our competition rounds. I'll get up against someone with a faster car and just completely psych myself out and miss a shift or something. Car sounds cool though and that track looks super fast

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikestokman View Post
    Haha I watched that the other day and was like damn, he psyched himself out in that last round. Looked like he started off the comp super strong and the driving was on point and by the end it looked a lot more panicked and less fluid. I know that headspace all too well in our competition rounds. I'll get up against someone with a faster car and just completely psych myself out and miss a shift or something. Car sounds cool though and that track looks super fast
    I was trying to outrun Mesker. In our OMT on my chase, I didn't get securely into first gear before the launch and he totally left me hard, but was slow in the mid section due to low wheelspeed so I caught back up there. On my OMT lead, I stayed in the throttle in 4th a bit more in the mid section and had significantly more speed than any other run, then just fumbled with getting 4->3 after throwing big angle to slow me down fast enough for the back turn. We also had to change tires between the finals and the OMT, so it was a bit of a rush there too.

Oh well, next time!

Mike

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    Question for you, I notice you don't just let the wheel spin via self-steer like the S-chassis guys seem to do. Is that something about the E36 chassis, or just your personal preference?
    Mike, can you comment at all on this question? I'm curious, since I'm having a hard time just letting the wheel spin in my hands, and I don't know if it's because I'm a sissy or because I'm feeling something in the car correctly..

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Mike, can you comment at all on this question? I'm curious, since I'm having a hard time just letting the wheel spin in my hands, and I don't know if it's because I'm a sissy or because I'm feeling something in the car correctly..
    E36's in my experience don't self-steer anywhere near what an S-chassis does. I have to fairly deliberately point the car where I want it to go. I think the SLR angle kits self-steer a little more pronounced than stock, or the MG setup I am using. You're still a sissy though

Mike

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I'll chime in! I've been doing research on self steer because of the same S chassis "just look at the wheel and it turns" phenomenon. There's 2 major factors that contribute to self steer. Trail and caster. Trail is a bit harder to explain but it's how your shopping cart wheels self steer. Ironically, they tend to be called "caster wheels". To my recollection, M3 E36 front knuckles are a different design than the non M and have better trail built in. So much so that chelsea ran E36 M3 knuckles on his E46.

The other side of things is caster. But too much causes the car to feel numb and lose its contract patch.

Mike is being a little bit more "handsy" than he needs to be though. I'm confident you can make any of our cars self steer like an S chassis. But I don't think it will ever exactly be that way. Now if someone made trail adjusters....

But regardless, that's why SLR has the one huge bolt that goes through the control arm and knuckle. It's to keep the trail in check. It's also why those poo ebay knuckles are poo.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Interesting. I'll start paying more attention to 3-series drivers and see if any of them are doing the "just let the wheel spin to where it needs to be and then grab on again" technique.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Even BMWs shouldn't require that much steering input. Having to be handsy on the wheel like that isn't a good thing.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    mine self steers okay and i dont have modified knuckles. just blocks and extended arms.
    13 Grand Cherokee Limited V8 - Daily Driver - Wife
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    95 325i Sedan - Project #ebayE36
    90 BMW 535i/5 - i should probably work on this again...

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    looks like that shift in the last corner messed with you a bit multiple times. Also, did the grid guy send you two before you signaled on the OMT? Looked like you got in gear, gave the thumbs up, and the other guy was already down the track

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    I need to find a good opportunity/location to work on letting the wheel spin on transitions..

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    I'll chime in! I've been doing research on self steer because of the same S chassis "just look at the wheel and it turns" phenomenon. There's 2 major factors that contribute to self steer. Trail and caster. Trail is a bit harder to explain but it's how your shopping cart wheels self steer. Ironically, they tend to be called "caster wheels". To my recollection, M3 E36 front knuckles are a different design than the non M and have better trail built in. So much so that chelsea ran E36 M3 knuckles on his E46.

The other side of things is caster. But too much causes the car to feel numb and lose its contract patch.

Mike is being a little bit more "handsy" than he needs to be though. I'm confident you can make any of our cars self steer like an S chassis. But I don't think it will ever exactly be that way. Now if someone made trail adjusters....

But regardless, that's why SLR has the one huge bolt that goes through the control arm and knuckle. It's to keep the trail in check. It's also why those poo ebay knuckles are poo.
    I'm not really sure what you're talking about with the bolt. The MG setup bolts to the knuckle in nearly the same fashion as the SLR. I will agree that suspension settings can increase self-steer, but I do not know specifically what to change.

Maybe a bit too handsy, but you wouldn't really know that without ever driving my car and having any idea how it handles. It doesn't self-steer. I forget, do you drift?

Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    Even BMWs shouldn't require that much steering input. Having to be handsy on the wheel like that isn't a good thing.
    Do you drift a BMW? Do you have an example you can show of you doing it properly?

Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    looks like that shift in the last corner messed with you a bit multiple times. Also, did the grid guy send you two before you signaled on the OMT? Looked like you got in gear, gave the thumbs up, and the other guy was already down the track
    I gave the thumbs up slightly too early, before I was comfortably in gear. David wanted to drag me badly because we just had a OMT so I think he was super ready to launch hard as hell, and I just got caught off guard. His car also has insanely more grip than mine in a straight line, as well as like a 60mph first gear.

Mike

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Not saying your driving is bad. I'm simply pointing out poor settings can cause you to need to be handsy. Honestly, I'm more handsy than I'd like to be too. I'm not bashing your setup at all. I'm not saying it's wrong. I'm simply pointing out the textbook causes of poor self steer.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Interesting. I'll start paying more attention to 3-series drivers and see if any of them are doing the "just let the wheel spin to where it needs to be and then grab on again" technique.
    My m3 drives like this.

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikestokman View Post
    My m3 drives like this.
    Stock knuckles and SLR setups seem to be able to self steer a lot better than an MG kit. Especially stock modified knuckles, they work awesome. My last setup used '95 M3 knuckles on my SLR V1 +55mm arm setup. It had provisions for a front sway bar, so I ran a stock '95 M3 one and that worked well but didn't have insane angle. Now the MG kit is at +112mm, but no bar, and has to use non-M knuckles so the geometry is a bit different. Now I don't have much self steer at all, but huge angle and it's smooth throughout the range. At really high angle it still wants to just spin at low speed. I think different springs/shocks and a big front bar would help that a lot, but we will see.

Here is a quick little lead run video of Lonestar Drift Round 5 | Pinball Drift from this past weekend

Mike

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3

Bookin it today! What a blast!

Mike

Page 71 of 74 FirstFirst ... 21466162636465666768697071727374 LastLast