Page 70 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2045606162636465666768697071727374 LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,750 of 1844

Thread: Noob Drift Build :) - E36 turbo

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    TMS backwards entry video

I had a blast this weekend. Still ironing out a bogging issue but I think we are getting close! This thing is gnarly at high speed.

Mike
    IG: @mikevanshellenbeck

My Cars
    Slow e36

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    Nice work.

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    90 325
    Love seeing the detail in this build! Do you have any undercar pics of your fuel line/tank setup?
    Back into a BMW, this time a track rat....and it won't be BMW powered and no, not a V8 either!
    Couldn't help myself, boosted e36 m52 street car in progress also!

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by exvitermini2 View Post
    Love seeing the detail in this build! Do you have any undercar pics of your fuel line/tank setup?
    Thank you! I might have some somewhere. I am dropping the tank soon to fix a leak so I can take pictures of what I did at that time.

Mike

My Cars
    BMW E31 850 (eu)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeE36 View Post
    Time for a pic dump to bring this thread up to speed. The car should be done in a few more days and ready to fire.

Mike
    Hey Mike

Very interesting build!
    What is the material of the black plates? Never seen this before. Looks easily adaptable.

cheers,

Kris

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Hi Kris,

It is just ABS plastic. You can buy it from any plastics shop and heat it to form it. An even better option is "HDPE" plastic, although I'm not sure if it's available in a textured black. It is what OEM manufacturers use for splash shields, fender liners, etc. and works very well.

Mike

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Small update, swapping my fuel tank out since mine has a leak somewhere on the top side. When I fill up the car too much, it just starts pouring out. Can't have that, so I'm dropping it to swap to a spare tank. Since I didn't take good pictures last time of the venting setup, here are some explaining what I did and what you can do on a racecar if you want to keep the stock tank.

Nasty spare tank from a '92 325i parts car:

Washing it out some - still tons of varnish from fuel sitting forever:

Stock lines:

Driver's side:

Passenger side:

Remove these:

Connect this one to the opposite side with E85 rated fuel hose:

Large line goes to the side of the stock filler neck - relocate this and cap the side port of the filler neck. This is the main vent line:

I used a razor blade to carefully slit the existing hoses to remove them from the plastic barbs. You have to be extremely careful or these will break off when removing the stock tank, and then your tank is junk without some plastic welding/fixing:

Lines removed - just need to connect the 2 small vent ports together and then it's ready to go in and replace my broken one:

Varnish inside - I'm using a few gallons of E85 and letting it sit, as well as sloshing it around in there. It's working surprisingly well already. I'll post finished pictures when it's all clean:

That's all for now. Not a very entertaining update, but if you were ever curious what your fuel tank venting looks like, here it is.

Mike

My Cars
    Slow e36
    Love how your still using the oem tank!

My Cars
    1997 328i, 89 325ix

Remove these:

Mike
    Hi Mike, I'm curious how you can remove the blue line shown in this picture. If I'm correct, this is the return line from the engine? Is that not necessary @ all? Or only in your situation w/ your fuel setup?

Also, if you perform these actions, does that remove the need for the expansion tank located in the passenger rear wheel well, and the carbon canister in the trunk?

Is there any harsh gas smell or pressure build up in the tank as a result?

I know I am asking a lot, but I have been pondering this same dilemma for my track-dedicated car.

Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by beat328i View Post
    Hi Mike, I'm curious how you can remove the blue line shown in this picture. If I'm correct, this is the return line from the engine? Is that not necessary @ all? Or only in your situation w/ your fuel setup?

Also, if you perform these actions, does that remove the need for the expansion tank located in the passenger rear wheel well, and the carbon canister in the trunk?

Is there any harsh gas smell or pressure build up in the tank as a result?

I know I am asking a lot, but I have been pondering this same dilemma for my track-dedicated car.

Thanks in advance!
    Yes I should've clarified, I can remove these lines because I have a fuel surge tank in the spare wheel well, and have rerouted how my feed/return lines run. You'll need to retain your feed and return line, as well as filler neck line and main vent line. You can remove everything else, including the carbon canister, expansion tank, and all of those things. You'll need to run a large vent line (I believe it's 1"?) and loop it somewhere higher than your filler neck, and then run it to a rollover valve/check valve (ideally), and then to a small air filter on the end. I do get a little bit of fuel smell, but I have my vent in the trunk and it should/will be relocated so that the filter sits just outside the wheel well shortly to prevent the smell. There is no pressure build up if you have the vent line installed correctly with a filter. If you install a check valve backwards, or a one-way valve, it will not work. Easiest thing to do is large vent line, looped higher than filler neck, then outside car at the back with a filter on it. I can take more pictures if you still have questions or need clarification. Feel free to PM.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeE36; 11-29-2016 at 10:46 PM.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    oh oh pictures and diagrams please. This sub has been dry lately and diagrams would make my turbo spool.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    97 bmw 320, 94 bmwm3
    Do you use the stock filler hose location?
    I had a few tires nearly rip the hose apart.

My Cars
    1997 328i, 89 325ix
    Yes I should've clarified, I can remove these lines because I have a fuel surge tank in the spare wheel well, and have rerouted how my feed/return lines run. You'll need to retain your feed and return line, as well as filler neck line and main vent line. You can remove everything else, including the carbon canister, expansion tank, and all of those things. You'll need to run a large vent line (I believe it's 1"?) and loop it somewhere higher than your filler neck, and then run it to a rollover valve/check valve (ideally), and then to a small air filter on the end. I do get a little bit of fuel smell, but I have my vent in the trunk and it should/will be relocated so that the filter sits just outside the wheel well shortly to prevent the smell. There is no pressure build up if you have the vent line installed correctly with a filter. If you install a check valve backwards, or a one-way valve, it will not work. Easiest thing to do is large vent line, looped higher than filler neck, then outside car at the back with a filter on it. I can take more pictures if you still have questions or need clarification. Feel free to PM.

Mike
    Thanks for the quick response Mike. I figured that your setup was a little different. I think for now I'm going to retain the expansion tank and associated lines, but remove the carbon canister by looping a some fuel safe hose w/ a small filter at the end at the end of the blue hose that would have originally gone to the CC. Hopefully that will remove some complication/ weight, but retain close to OE function. Most people won't have to worry about any of this, but I kinda forced the issue by cutting a majority of my trunk out due to rust

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by s50b30 View Post
    Do you use the stock filler hose location?
    I had a few tires nearly rip the hose apart.
    Yes, stock location. I made a small plastic cover plate to protect the filler neck from tire debris. Just a big rectangle in there to prevent stuff from hitting it.

Mike

My Cars
    1996 E36 M3
    Hey Mike I've spent a whole day just going through your build man it's so awesome ! I love the wiring in fact I'm currently trying to do that same wiring. I don't expect you to tell me how you did everything but maybe you have a write up on it and I don't know or if you can help me out a bit I would really appreciate it man !

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by s54darwin View Post
    Hey Mike I've spent a whole day just going through your build man it's so awesome ! I love the wiring in fact I'm currently trying to do that same wiring. I don't expect you to tell me how you did everything but maybe you have a write up on it and I don't know or if you can help me out a bit I would really appreciate it man !
    I am going to make a series of youtube videos for Van's Parts, and one of them I will do on E36 wiring. I've had quite a few questions about that, and it's a relatively simple swap to delete the factory fuse box and chassis harness with just a few basic connections.

2 bar Tuesday - uploaded a little clip from 2013 with my GT35R @ 29psi:

Enjoy!

Mike

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Took a friend for a ride from out of town. We took a trip down to Mexico:

3rd gear, 3.15 diff on 265s.

Mike

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    I love this car, I hope I get to chase it down at least once this season

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Drove a mostly rain event this weekend at Houston Police Academy. It was super cool being on an actual track, rather than a big open lot. It had varying surfaces as well and we did a different layout Saturday and Sunday. Chelsea came out and instructed and I let him take my car for a couple laps.

Here is a video of me taking a passenger for a ride along on Saturday's layout when the track was still pretty wet.

I had a blast! I checked my oil on Saturday morning, and didn't do anything else to the car all weekend. I drove a ton, too! Rain drifting is awesome.

Mike

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Sounds so sweet! Does your exhaust consist of a "downpipe" straight out of the hood?

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    Sounds so sweet! Does your exhaust consist of a "downpipe" straight out of the hood?
    Yup, the downpipe and rear wastegate go out the hood. The front wastegate dumps to the ground.

More video from the Lonestar Drift Practice day:

Mike

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Bookin it today at Harris Hill Road

3.15 diff

Mike

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    Nice work. Sounds great!