Page 68 of 74 FirstFirst ... 18435859606162636465666768697071727374 LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 1844

Thread: Noob Drift Build :) - E36 turbo

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jalopi View Post
    what's the cable coming off your shifter?
    Reverse lockout for the collar.

Mike
    IG: @mikevanshellenbeck

My Cars
    1997 328i, 89 325ix
    This has got to be one of the longest running build threads I have ever seen, but every single page was packed full of good info and dope pictures. I hate when old threads have all dead pictures, so this was definitely some good shit. I feel like this thread, along with some other solid technical build threads should be part of a "required reading" for all new forum users.

If you ever come north for like a MDU event or something, I'd love to check this car out in person.

Kudos!

Edit: Followed on IG!
    Last edited by beat328i; 05-04-2016 at 02:01 PM.

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Need to bring this back up to speed.

Round 1, we missed due to not having enough time to finish the car, so I just went to support my teammate Mario. He drove awesome
    Round 2, we had some fuel system issues and had a surge tank pressurization problem. We have since fixed that, I think. Planning to drive a San Antonio test day on the 22nd to shake down the setup fully before Round 3 on the 28th. Hopefully no more surprises!

Here is a picture dump since I haven't posted in a few weeks in here.

More soon! Be on the lookout for this thing in an upcoming S3 magazine. I'll be sure to let you guys know which issue once I know.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeE36; 05-06-2016 at 01:51 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Not worried about heat soak with the coolers there? Seems like warm air feeding a lot of things before its done going through all the heat exchangers... Looks fucking tits though man!

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikestokman View Post
    Not worried about heat soak with the coolers there? Seems like warm air feeding a lot of things before its done going through all the heat exchangers... Looks fucking tits though man!
    I had my oil cooler right here prior and it did great. Never went above like 200 F drifting, and 240 F on the road course. It's so heavily ducted that everything actually stays super cool now.

And thanks!! The coolers are mounted very well so I'm pretty happy with their position. Now I can Ebisu jump drift this thing hard with no issues! (one can dream)

Mike

My Cars
    E36 328i
    Coming along very nicely! Keep it up!

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Here are a few pictures from Round 2. Hardparked with a leaking surge tank.

More soon!

Mike
    Last edited by MikeE36; 05-10-2016 at 01:37 PM.

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Vinyl is almost finished! Still a bunch of logos to go on but we are close! The look of the car really is changed. I can't wait to see it all complete and out in the sun.

I need to get a few front bumper moulding strips to pop in, get the logos added, and then it's time to go drift next Sunday and give this thing a thorough shakedown!

Mike

My Cars
    my brother's ti
    cant wait to see more videos of this thing in action! crazy build and the driving skills to match!

My Cars
    e34 528i/5
    Man I haven't been in this subforum in a while. This thread has really come along. Awesome progress Mike! I bet this car is an absolute joy to drive.

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    Like it!

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Testing! Only got in about 4 laps today at a San Antonio drift event, due to a small coolant leak from a 1/8 npt plug that I used to plug an adapter, which plugs the hole in the side of the radiator where my factory fan temp switch would go (it would hit my intake otherwise, had to remove, and I don't use a temperature switch anyway, it's all manual). So that spewed a little, and I didn't have a longer plug or a proper adapter to just plug it with one piece, but it'll be an easy fix. Also on the last run, I managed to not be able to shift into 2nd or 4th gear. I think my shift linkage is hitting on the base plate of my CAE shifter, but I don't understand why it would've worked for other runs and not for this one? I'm going to have to look into that more.

Water never went above 190, even with the leak which didn't really show itself until the last (4th) gear lockout run. Oil was 170 max. Boost 23psi on the wastegate springs with no controller on it yet.

Enjoy Sorry for the hazy video, I had no idea the lens was dirty or fogged up.

Mike

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    You're back to running a stock zf trans right? The 6 speed just broke right away from what I remember but I can't remember if you bought something super fancy after that or just went back to easy to source zf's

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    Good stuff!

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    You're back to running a stock zf trans right? The 6 speed just broke right away from what I remember but I can't remember if you bought something super fancy after that or just went back to easy to source zf's
    Yeah stock ZF 5 speed right now. I think I'm going to need a dogbox much sooner than I want.

Quote Originally Posted by douglee25 View Post
    Good stuff!
    Thanks Doug!

Here is a video of the transmission shift issue. I'm not really sure why the linkage would've interfered on this run and not prior, unless I did break something inside the box. It looks/feels like the DSSR is hitting the front edge of the circle in the base plate of the CAE mounting. It was shifting into 2nd on the run just prior to this, but then it decided not to go in at all from here on. I'll have to take another peek at it today or tomorrow.

Mike

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Yeah, with 900hp I can see it being a bit of a stretch on a stock trans haha. I only ask because I'm planning on making a zf adapter plate for my lsx swap and since I only plan on making 350-400hp I figured the zf will hold up for atleast a bit.

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Yeah, with 900hp I can see it being a bit of a stretch on a stock trans haha. I only ask because I'm planning on making a zf adapter plate for my lsx swap and since I only plan on making 350-400hp I figured the zf will hold up for atleast a bit.
    Yeah it will be totally fine at that power level forever. The ZF310/320 are really stout for what they are. The shifting issue turned out to be a linkage problem - the trans is just fine. We are good to go for this coming weekend at Lonestar Drift Round 3! Lots more gopro video to come!

Mike

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Some helmet cam from today:

Enjoy!

Mike

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    Looks like it's running well!

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    97' E36M3 11' e92 lsxm3
    mike... whats your current motor setup to get that 900hp? (sorry haven't read your 70 pages recently) also does lone star drift not make you follow FD rules to pass tech? i know when i went turbo it was a huge pain because per fd rule book for FD exhaust has to termite pass rear axles. RD 2 last season i broke hot side 2nd lap because it was lowest part on car.. had to rig it to finish season then in out season we ended up make a new motor mount that the 3.5" hot side could flow thru.
    Castro Motorsports
    SLR Speed, Spec Clutch, Fuel Injector Connection, Turbojoe Tuned, Socal Sidewayz, Motorsport Hardware, StreetFighter_LA
    instagram @jefgroffaction

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 1FRacing View Post
    mike... whats your current motor setup to get that 900hp? (sorry haven't read your 70 pages recently) also does lone star drift not make you follow FD rules to pass tech? i know when i went turbo it was a huge pain because per fd rule book for FD exhaust has to termite pass rear axles. RD 2 last season i broke hot side 2nd lap because it was lowest part on car.. had to rig it to finish season then in out season we ended up make a new motor mount that the 3.5" hot side could flow thru.
    EFR9180 1.05A/R
    T4 twinscroll manifold
    built M52 2888cc
    E85

Lonestar drift doesn't follow strict FD rules for things like that because it restricts the series too much and we have less entrants if they have to comply with a ton of Formula Drift Pro stuff. If you have all the basic safety components and a cage, you can tandem. It doesn't have to be 100% strict FD rulebook for TXSL or Pro-AM.

Mike

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Well it looks like I haven't updated this thread in a few months and have just been keeping the one in forced induction going, but I really like having this one complete and as a good reference of my build and time with this car, so I'm going to try to keep it up to speed as well.

Since the last event, I checked my oil filter and found a ton of bearing material in it. A LOT of bearing babbit that looked like the motor was self-destructing terribly, despite sounding perfect with no knocking noises, having excellent oil pressure on the datalogs, etc. This essentially warranted I pull the engine to figure out what happened, so I did.

Rewinding maybe 6 months or a year ago, I purchased a used Euro S50B32 oil pan/pump/pickup setup off Ebay, from an engine in the UK that had a bearing failure. I found bearing material in the pan and pump everywhere and cleaned everything out extremely thoroughly before installing on my engine (or so I thought). I did not send them to the machine shop to throw in the VAT, and I completely forgot to remove the oil pressure relief valve and clean the piston/cylinder inside there as well. As it turns out, there was a lot more bearing material stuff in the pressure relief valve, and as soon as the engine hit 60+ psi the first time it blew all that metal out and into the oiling system of the engine, circulating it. The oil filter caught 98% of everything, but there was some embedding/scarring on the main bearings from the short time I did run it. The only way to ensure there was no more debris circulating was of course to pull everything all the way apart, so I tore down the engine entirely, sent the block, oil filter housing, pan and pump to the machine shop to all be cleaned up, including the oil pressure relief valve, and now I'm putting it all back together with a new cutring gasket since they are one time use.

Here are some tear down and then rebuild pictures, hopefully in chronological order if I did this correctly:

Back from machine shop:

Phew, that about brings it up to speed. I'm also testing a new steering kit from MG solutions that I'm really excited about. It's adjustable from +85mm over stock up to +120mm over stock. Massive angle and backwards entries!

More updates soon!

Mike
    Last edited by MikeE36; 08-11-2016 at 07:39 PM.

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    Never ends, does it? Murphy always getting someone!

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by douglee25 View Post
    Never ends, does it? Murphy always getting someone!
    Yep! It's not a big deal though. Going back together now and it'll all be sorted in the coming weeks. I'm confident we can have it reliable at this power level, especially with the addition of that ATI damper. Peak torque will be a max of ~150 ft-lb more than before I think, and I'm pretty confident the engine can handle that reliably without excessive bearing wear or anything. I had extremely good wear / none visible really at 7200 rpm and 600whp. Hopefully will be the same story with 7000 and 800whp+.

Mike

Page 68 of 74 FirstFirst ... 18435859606162636465666768697071727374 LastLast