Page 3 of 74 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast

Thread: Noob Drift Build :) - E36 turbo

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by driftin07 View Post
    looking good thus far man! thing is gonna be a champ!
    thanks man!

Little bit more progress tonight. Happy to have the pedals done (well, not the gas yet but I think that's easy in comparison to the other two)

Cut a little with the dremel to fit the coolant tank where I want it, grabbed the ABS pump off my spare parts E36 to make routing simple (even though it won't be function, it routes the lines properly)

To be continued!

-Mike
    IG: @mikevanshellenbeck

My Cars
    Red Sled, RC51
    What do you think the 67 will spool at? Around the same as the 62 since it's twin scroll?

"Believe nothing you hear, half of what you read"

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender13Bender View Post
    What do you think the 67 will spool at? Around the same as the 62 since it's twin scroll?
    Probably a solid 500 rpm later. I expect tire smoke by 3800 -4k all the way to 7200 The 6262 spools REAL early, but it's a tiny .63 A/R T3 exhaust housing. I have 10psi by like 2800 rpm

-Mike

My Cars
    Red Sled, RC51
    So why the choice of the bigger turbo? No need to quick spooling anymore on the track?

Gonna be sick though.

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    So why the choice of the bigger turbo? No need to quick spooling anymore on the track?

Gonna be sick though.

I want to run a DTA S80 and E85 later this year / next spring and shoot for mongo power. Also I like big turbos My SPA 65mm was really fun with the hard hit at 4500 rpm. It wasn't as quick as the 6262, but it sure sounded / felt fun... and at this point I'm all about fun

-Mike

My Cars
    95 M3
    http://painlesswiring.com/ has fuse blocks and all kinds of awesome wiring things.

It looks good! keep up the good work!

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Darwin006 View Post
    http://painlesswiring.com/ has fuse blocks and all kinds of awesome wiring things.

It looks good! keep up the good work!
    Yeah, I saw some painless switch panels this weekend at XDC in several drift cars. Do want.

I've already installed the stock chassis harness though... We'll see how long I want to delay in order to be a perfectionist (I want to burn some tires already!! )

-Mike

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    this is MADNESS

My Cars
    Red Sled, RC51
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeE36 View Post
    I want to run a DTA S80 and E85 later this year / next spring and shoot for mongo power. Also I like big turbos My SPA 65mm was really fun with the hard hit at 4500 rpm. It wasn't as quick as the 6262, but it sure sounded / felt fun... and at this point I'm all about fun

-Mike
    Gotcha, you had a SPA 7000 correct? I have one going on my car soon.

Not to be off topic, but what modifications are needed to run E85?

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Piner View Post
    this is MADNESS

Gotcha, you had a SPA 7000 correct? I have one going on my car soon.

Not to be off topic, but what modifications are needed to run E85?
    Yeah I had an SPA 7000M, the "standard" TRM stage 2 big power turbo. (Good to around 600 RWHP on a 3.2)

For E85, BIG ass fuel system. That's about it. Dual pumps, big AN fuel lines, rail, giant injectors, and an ECU that will be happy with all that (standalone).

So I'll be doing dual aeromotive 340lph's probably, with -8 or -10 AN feed, -6 return, and a big rail with 1200cc ish injectors running on the DTA. (But that's later down the road. My current ECU/fuel is good to ~650 RWHP so that's plenty considering how light this car is going to be - for now )

-Mike

As much as I wanted to cook eggs on my hood.... some DEI stuff came in

Also pulled the stock chassis harness out and ordered a painlesswiring race car harness and switch panel Will be here tomorrow

-Mike
    Last edited by MikeE36; 09-27-2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    TRM Stage I 325is
    FWIW mid range torque is pretty nice for a drift car. Easier to get it sideways again if you make a mistake.

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by n24tg View Post
    FWIW mid range torque is pretty nice for a drift car. Easier to get it sideways again if you make a mistake.
    Lol. I know. Thanks I get it, it'll be laggy. It'll be difficult.

Oh well

-Mike

Painless stuff is here. Working on that today some. Should have manifold/turbo/downpipe this Saturday, and a couple things from bimmerworld. If all goes REALLY well I'll be able to start it Sunday, but that's optimistic.

-Mike

I feel like I was just doing this with the stock harness

Oh well, it's going to be way cleaner this time

-Mike
    Last edited by MikeE36; 09-28-2011 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    little bit more progress. fuel lines/rail/intakemanifold on/all wiring hooked up. Also moved MXL coolant temp sensor to in-head with TRM adapter (previously was upper rad hose)

Will have turbo/manifold/downpipe friday or saturday and will install that stuff. Also need to lay some of the DEI gold sheet on the frame rail, hood, etc. and wrap the downpipe, and install the turbo blanket. Also have an ATP -10 AN oil drain to install to pan.

Got the throttle body and cable swapped over. Need to go get 1 intake manifold nut tomorrow since I lost one (luckily it was with the intake still on, so it's not in the motor).

Also, anyone know where to get replacement exhaust nuts? World pac doesn't have a PN for them. I guess dealer? Home depot?

-Mike

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    Guys keep in mind this guy is a track junky, that's been doing AutoX/HPDE in a 500whp E36 for at least a year or two, right?

He's got the car control skills, all he needs to learn is how to heave himself into a corner. He knows lines, he knows throttle control with a turbo car. He can handle it.

<3

Exhaust nuts....these guys are right around the corner from me and have HUGELY competitive pricing for a parts place that isn't BMW based, and are really an awesome group of guys. I've even tried getting a job there a few times to no avail

http://www.germanautoparts.com/BMW/1.../1014/52109238

But the part number is there, so you can use that to get them from a different vendor as well if you choose to do so.
    Last edited by bennyfizzle; 09-29-2011 at 09:31 AM.

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyfizzle View Post
    Guys keep in mind this guy is a track junky, that's been doing AutoX/HPDE in a 500whp E36 for at least a year or two, right?

He's got the car control skills, all he needs to learn is how to heave himself into a corner. He knows lines, he knows throttle control with a turbo car. He can handle it.

<3

Exhaust nuts....these guys are right around the corner from me and have HUGELY competitive pricing for a parts place that isn't BMW based, and are really an awesome group of guys. I've even tried getting a job there a few times to no avail

http://www.germanautoparts.com/BMW/1.../1014/52109238

But the part number is there, so you can use that to get them from a different vendor as well if you choose to do so.
    <3 Benny Yeah around 2 years auto-x/track with my car. I have like 40-50 youtube videos of the black car

T1 at H2R (local-ish track) in the black car

[ame]http://vimeo.com/27125781[/ame]

-Mike

My Cars
    '87 e30, '02 e39 Dinan
    wow mike awesome work i love it!!
    Capital Driving Club Car # 102
    How to turbo your car:
    Step one. Install ecu and learn to tune and or have it tuned.
    Step two. Install injectors and retune.
    Step three. Install turbo parts and bits. get it running with out leaks. DO NOT DRIVE IT. Idling should be ok
    Step four. Retune car
    Step five enjoy

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    Watch out hamfisting 4th gear, especially in right handers!

Backhand 4th always! No exceptions.

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by euro2fast4u View Post
    wow mike awesome work i love it!!
    Thanks!

Yeah, yeah I know It was a leisurely shift as I recomposed myself from a 110mph slide into T1

I emailed painlesswiring with some questions about incorporating their race harness in a BMW, which has a seperate engine harness. Their wiring kits are designed around old muscle cars with distributors, and very very basic electronics.. Pretty much everything is designed for GM ignition switches, GM turn signals, and GM or Ford everything. They emailed back this morning and basically said, good luck, we have no idea. I need pinouts / wiring schematic for the round connector that connects the engine harness to the chassis harness. (I assume the ignition/starter wiring is in this connector, as IIRC it is the only way the engine harness connects to the chassis harness. I only need to figure out the ignition switch/starter connections to make the switch panel work. Everything else like lights, fuel pump, etc. is easy. If I can do that, I should be able to start it on Sunday. We'll see what I find today/tomorrow/sat.) Turbo and everything will be here tomorrow

-Mike
    Last edited by MikeE36; 09-29-2011 at 12:14 PM.

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    hectic

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    hectic
    what is? lol

I'm going to read some push-button-start DIYs for E36s. I think I can find everything I need there

-Mike

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    that slide lol

My Cars
    95 325is.
    you should search for DIYs about turbo timers on e36.

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Nisanda View Post
    you should search for DIYs about turbo timers on e36.
    I understand the wiring for that... but what if the entire chassis harness is missing? where are those wires in the round connector that connects the chassis harness to the engine harness? I'm pretty sure that's not covered in your average DIY.

-Mike

-Mike
    Last edited by MikeE36; 09-30-2011 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    e36 m3 rip, e36 truck :D
    I have the bentley in pdf if you like to give you the pinouts/ or at least wire color for the connector you need. lotta going through systems if I remember, but you shouldn't need many wires since you aren't using the stock gauge cluster eh?
    and not the stock fuses and relays?

VROOOOOOOM

Page 3 of 74 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast