My Cars
    96 328i(3L Frankenmotor)
    Quote Originally Posted by mpaganr34 View Post
    I'm nearing the end of this very build, inspired by this very thread
    How long did it take you to do?

My Cars
    '92 TRM E36 / '05 325ci
    Quote Originally Posted by hakentt

Yes. More when you have it in E30 car, more power to weight ratio. My E30 feels as if I have V8 in there
    I believe it haha. They are pretty torquey indeed.

My Cars
    1998 e36
    Quote Originally Posted by sjpgoalie View Post
    I believe it haha. They are pretty torquey indeed.
    Yes, you get like 220 torq at 2000 rpm that is V8 torq there man. In my E30 with 3.7LSD and auto tranny I can load the power standing still to 2000 rpm then let the brake pedal and floor the gas pedal and my E30 almost lifts the front end off the ground and 0-60 feels like I got supercharged V8, I know that I would get some great numbers at 1/4 mile drag strip

I bought this engine from local craigslist the listing was almost about to expire when I gave the guy a call, I bought it for $250, I got all of my rotating parts and intake cam from this M54b30 that lister listed it wrongly. and I sold the rest of the M54 parts and actualy made some money. So basicly I made this engine S50 clone for dirt cheap, I don't know who can beat this mod?

Last edited by hakentt; 03-09-2012 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2003 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerBoland

How long did it take you to do?
    Eh. I've been super slow about it. I think I started in November or so. I'm pretty confident I could roll through it in a week or two if I got down to business. It's essentially just disassembling and reassembling the entire engine. Haha.

My Cars
    96 328i(3L Frankenmotor)
    Quote Originally Posted by mpaganr34

Eh. I've been super slow about it. I think I started in November or so. I'm pretty confident I could roll through it in a week or two if I got down to business. It's essentially just disassembling and reassembling the entire engine. Haha.
    Good to know. This is going to be my first time taking an entire engine apart.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325IS
    You must use 1996+ cam tray for the M54 intake cam, the M50 tray can be made to work with dremel tool but not worth it. You should get 1996+ both cam trays with lifters anyway they are lighter and will help at high revs.

Ok hakentt so by saying get both M54 cam trays + lifters, are you implying that the m50 exhaust camshaft will work in the m54 exhaust cam tray?

Based on this-----> If you want to have more power than S50 engine from 1000 to 6000 rpm then get M54B30 intake camshaft(240 duration, 9.7mm lift, you must shorten the vanos gear at least 4mm) and just reuse your M50 exhaust camshaft

Please i am just trying to get this right.
    Also would like some info on the custom chip for this build
    Thank you
    Last edited by Merlin310; 03-09-2012 at 09:54 PM.

My Cars
    1998 e36
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin310 View Post
    the m50 exhaust camshaft will work in the m54 exhaust cam tray?

Based on this-----> If you want to have more power than S50 engine from 1000 to 6000 rpm then get M54B30 intake camshaft(240 duration, 9.7mm lift, you must shorten the vanos gear at least 4mm) and just reuse your M50 exhaust camshaft

Please i am just trying to get this right.
    Also would like some info on the custom chip for this build
    Thank you
    Yes and Yes.
    Info on custom chip PM me if you are willing to buy one.

My Cars
    '95 525i Olympic Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by mpaganr34

Can't wait to hear about the results

My Cars
    96 328i(3L Frankenmotor)
    Anyone have a suggestion for a decent engine stand?

This is the only one the local stores have Link.

Just out of curiosity what would be ideal in a m52b28tu as far as crank pistons and rods?

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by hakentt

Yes, you get like 220 torq at 2000 rpm that is V8 torq there man. In my E30 with 3.7LSD and auto tranny I can load the power standing still to 2000 rpm then let the brake pedal and floor the gas pedal and my E30 almost lifts the front end off the ground and 0-60 feels like I got supercharged V8, I know that I would get some great numbers at 1/4 mile drag strip

I bought this engine from local craigslist the listing was almost about to expire when I gave the guy a call, I bought it for $250, I got all of my rotating parts and intake cam from this M54b30 that lister listed it wrongly. and I sold the rest of the M54 parts and actualy made some money. So basicly I made this engine S50 clone for dirt cheap, I don't know who can beat this mod?
    Dam nice find

My Cars
    92 525it, 97 540/6
    if you read the entire thread and do a search, you will find that all your questions have been answered.

My Cars
    1991 318is
    hakentt, Please PM me. I would like to know if you could build me one of these set up's? And install if I dropped my car off.

My Cars
    E36 328i M54B28
    You could skim 0.7 of head, maybe?

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is coupe
    Hakentt, or anyone else who is doing/has done this, when installing the new pistons did you notice the step at the top of the cylinder walls? My block has a small step in it and the new pistons catch on it going up. Anyone else have this issue?

My Cars
    92 525it, 97 540/6
    your m54b30 pistons should stop around 2mm before the top of the block. Check out the pics at the beginning of the thread. Mine had a small ridge at the top of the cylinders, but the m54b30 rings don't reach hit the ridge.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is coupe
    I installed my M54 pistons today the top ring makes contact with the lip of that ridge. If you listen you can hear a click as you turn the engine by hand and the ring goes over that lip.

My Cars
    92 525it, 97 540/6
    Are you sure you have a vanos (tu) block?

My Cars
    1998 e36
    Quote Originally Posted by nates89 View Post
    I installed my M54 pistons today the top ring makes contact with the lip of that ridge. If you listen you can hear a click as you turn the engine by hand and the ring goes over that lip.
    Your M50 block is worn out, it has a ridge. If your block has a ridge on top then it has to be bored out for oversized pistons, in this case M54 will not work. You have to work with good M50 block that does not have a ridge. My M50 block had 220k miles and it did not have a ridge at all.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone714 View Post
    hakentt, Please PM me. I would like to know if you could build me one of these set up's? And install if I dropped my car off.
    PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by carwiz008 View Post
    Yeah, there are options to make it work.

I'm pointing out that this swap is not as easy as Hakentt would have you believe.
    For example,

• You should not reuse piston rings from a 222k motor. Their integrity and temper are likely shot. New rings cost $200 on Pelican. Bearings can be ok, just check for damage and tolerances. Obviously it will run, but you cannot trust worn parts.

I did not use piston rings from 222K M50 motor, piston rings from M50 piston will not fit M54B30 piston at all. I used the piston rings that came from good M54B30 block, I haven't even removed them, they were springing out so I know they are good.

• The custom tune that Hakentt will sell you will be a home brew (initial source is debated) using Tuner-pro and and EPROM burner. He claims to have started "from scratch," without using BMW base or any other aftermarket chip as a template. $80 experiment vs. $250 professional tune, your choice.
  21. My tune is not experiment because I use factory tune from 1995 M3 as a starting point.

• With hotter cams and more displacement you might want M52 pink injectors or better to help compensate fueling. $100 used
  • You are wrong, stock M50 injectors are same ones that S50 uses so they are good enough and my engine does not go lean

• I worked with very good M50 engine that I was able to test when still runing in a 1995 525i, so I knew that I was working with perfectly working block, and I cleaned it all in my backyard and inspected it all for cracks. One year with this S50 clone and engine feels great.
    Last edited by hakentt; 03-19-2012 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

My Cars
    1998 e36
    Any thoughts on the 10.2:1 compression?
    You are probably right on this one, it should be the same exact compression as M54B30 engine, 10.3:1 near that number.

I can put 87 octane with performance tune and it will not ping.

As for my tune I do have a wideband sensor and I monitored AF ratios under different loads, they are spot on with stock 506 tune. I have snap on solus scanner tool that can read real data in real time from DME, like MAF load, injector pulse, ignition timing, and I made a tune based on that. Year long it works fine, good gas mileage, great power even with AC on and hot summers in phoenix.
    I am the only person on this forum who has created ability to tune these DMEs for free if you want to do it. Information is free on tunerpro.net and you can make your own tune. How dare you acuse me of doing this thread only for profit with your only 30 posts on this forum?

My Cars
    '97 328i
    bro, why are you crapping on this thread!! if you feel that you need to replace components that he didn't then just do it... if someone wants to buy his tune, so what?!?! it doesn't concern you...

My Cars
    1998 e36
    Quote Originally Posted by carwiz008 View Post
    My time on the internet does not reflect anything, that was childish. .
    Then what does it reflect? Have you writen any new information with pictures for other people to do to their BMW for cheaper, run faster for less money?

People who first read my thread can remember that I wrote: Use brown sticker 506 ecu from early 1995 M3 for this stroker. It turned out that is very rare ecu to find and are priced high on ebay. Then people starting PM me about the tune, then I added that I can sell them the chip to go for this engine, only $80. In a year I have only sold one chip. Don't buy from me then, go pay someone to dyno tune yours, than share it with us if you are so great.
    I posted the stock 506 program for free two years ago at tunerpro.net, so don't buy from me, burn yourself a chip for free you tick parasite you

My Cars
    335i, 535ix, 328i
    Hakenett, we're going to start the process of upgrading our 96 328i based on what you did in the next 60 days. M50 intake, S50 cams, M54B30 crank and pistons etc,... We are going to change out the rings, valve seals gaskets, etc,... too. That is our personal choice. However, we do really appreciate your posts and "how to's" regarding how you did it. Keep it up!

My Cars
    E36 328i M54B28
    Anyone who has the skill to do this build will also be able to tell if the rings are still up for the job or they need replacing. Same thing goes for gaskets and seals.

I'm not taking sides, if we were to beleive all the similar threads saying you need at least a PHD in engineering and NASA equipment, no one would evem dare start this.

So kudos to Hakentt for starting this thread, I believe everything needing back ups in his build has been proved by the fact that his engine is still running strong after one year, without knocks or smoking.

In my case, I've been reading many similar threads and almost gave up on this until I came across this dude's thread. This encouraged and motivated me to get the necessary parts and I'll start the build soon.

• Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast