Thread: 2008 535XI tailgate window issue

2008 535XI tailgate window issue

So at 500 miles out of warrenty my tailgate window on my 535XI T (wagon) is automatically self opening when I start the car. Its on an electric relay. It interacts with the rear cargo cover which is electronic. If the cover is closed or open same issue. Today it now randomly electronically releases the window after i hear the rear cargo cover self activate to close (while open) all this when i am driving on the highway. Its done this multiple times over a few days. Any ideas before the wallet biopsy at the dealer.
    Last edited by Limey-; 09-15-2011 at 10:55 PM.

My Cars
    2006 530xiT
    Limey, I had this same problem. My problem was two fold. First, even though the glass would pop on it's own, the switch was bad. Seemed the seal went bad and water got in there. That was replaced no problem (under CPO warranty).

Second, the rear tailgate issue was one of the wiring harness for the tailgate was bad. The design is the problem! The way the tailgate opens bends the wires, eventually shearing them off. >$2000 to replace at dealer. Lots of folks I've seen did it themselves though...

My Cars
    2008 535xi sport wagon
    I'm having the same issue. Any resolution to your issue? I'm wondering what to expect with this fix.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 330xi
    Do you have comfort access? Sometimes when I leave the key inside the car and shut the glass tailgate it pops open because it doesn't want you to lock your keys inside.

Quote Originally Posted by tony2x
    Do you have comfort access? Sometimes when I leave the key inside the car and shut the glass tailgate it pops open because it doesn't want you to lock your keys inside.
    Limey are you a Brit like me? I met two other Brits with E61s, it seems we are the only people that buy me in the US!
    Last edited by tony2x; 04-14-2012 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2008 535xi sport wagon
    Took it to the stealer on Friday an was indeed quoted around 2g to replace the wiring looms. It would seem this a design flaw that BMW has decided to ignore. Any know how effective the self fix is?

My Cars
    2008 535xi Touring (e61)
    I had same issue with my e61. Dealer "reprogrammed" (or maybe "reset")the hatch and the problem went away. My advisor did not charge me anything for it. Might be worth asking if they tried that or not.

I think it is "reprogrammed" by opening and closing 2X but not sure. I need to find out though, because mine just started doing it again.

Good luck!

My Cars
    08 535xi Touring X5 35d

Tailgate Window Popping Open

My wagon window is repeatedly popping open as well. Does anybody have any additional information? I am out of warranty and hope to fix on my own.

My Cars
    '08 535xiT, '11 K1300S
    I just had this issue on mine. It was a faulty micro switch (switch to open rear glass). For the replacement, I followed this (below link) thread. The entire process takes maybe 15-min at most. Whatever you do, do not close the glass hatch once you disconnect the micro switch connector. You will not be able to open the glass hatch without taking apart other parts of cargo/hatch area.

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/view...p?f=5&t=116375
    Last edited by killercalf; 01-31-2013 at 09:56 PM.

My Cars
    '85 M635; '08 535XiT
    Digging up old thread...
    My tailgate window wouldn’t open with the button. I replaced it but no joy. Assume it is the break in the wiring somewhere.

As a temporary fix, I coded the lower license plate button to open the glass. Then for the tailgate I have to click the key fob. Decent work around to give quick access to the glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ................'85 M635...............'08 535XiT (6-spd!)..................