RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Automatic transmission failure 4F8D?

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30

Automatic transmission failure 4F8D?

Hi there, as you can see, I have a e39, but my cousin has a e60 525 (with motor n52), 50,000 miles, automatic 6 speed transmission (6hp19a), and recently the car put in Transmission Safe Mode, so I run the INPA in the car and throw me this error:
    4F8D: Unknown error location
    Error code: 4F 8D 38 00 00 00 00 01 28 1D 65 19 7C 25 18 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

so I went to my local BMW dealer, and asking him for the code, he told me this error means I have some clutch plates damages, and they change the complete transmission, but he also told me, exist a rebuilt kit from ZF for the clutches, so I bought that kit, and yesterday I change all the clutch plates, but I donīt see any clutch (or steel) plates damages or even burned and now I'm afraid when I start the car, the error came again.

Any of you guys has this error in your automatics 6 speed ZF transmissions (6hp19a)?

Thanks,

other thing, I know this is the e90 forum, and the error is in a e60, but I know this error shows in the e90 also....

E39, 523i, 1999, M52TUB30, 5 SPEED MANUAL, UUC SHORT SHIFTER, EURO SPECS, KONI YELLOWS, OEM SPORTS SPRINGS, OEM SPORTS SEATS, ALCANTARA HEADLINER AND /A/B/C PILLARS, OEM M-TECHNIC AERODYNAMIC, OEM M5 FRONT GRILLS, OEM M5 REAR FOLDING MIRRORS, OEM M5 REAR SWAYBAR, OEM M-TECHNIC II FRONT SWAYBAR, REMUS DUAL TIP MUFFLER, TITANSILVER, BIXENON, M PARALLEL SPOKE 66 STAGGERED, OEM M-AUDIO SYSTEM, NAV SCREEN 16:9, INTRAVEE II iPOD INTERFACE, OEM TCM WITH BLUETOOTH, Y RESONATOR DELETE, INTAKE HORN DELETE, CDV DELETE, CHARCOAL TITANIUM BRUSHED TRIM, FAN CLUTCH DELETE, ELECTRIC FAN, 3.15LSD DIFFERENTIAL, ESS TS2+ SUPERCHARGER, AQUAMIST METHANOL + WATER INJECTION

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    no body?

thanks,

E39, 523i, 1999, M52TUB30, 5 SPEED MANUAL, UUC SHORT SHIFTER, EURO SPECS, KONI YELLOWS, OEM SPORTS SPRINGS, OEM SPORTS SEATS, ALCANTARA HEADLINER AND /A/B/C PILLARS, OEM M-TECHNIC AERODYNAMIC, OEM M5 FRONT GRILLS, OEM M5 REAR FOLDING MIRRORS, OEM M5 REAR SWAYBAR, OEM M-TECHNIC II FRONT SWAYBAR, REMUS DUAL TIP MUFFLER, TITANSILVER, BIXENON, M PARALLEL SPOKE 66 STAGGERED, OEM M-AUDIO SYSTEM, NAV SCREEN 16:9, INTRAVEE II iPOD INTERFACE, OEM TCM WITH BLUETOOTH, Y RESONATOR DELETE, INTAKE HORN DELETE, CDV DELETE, CHARCOAL TITANIUM BRUSHED TRIM, FAN CLUTCH DELETE, ELECTRIC FAN, 3.15LSD DIFFERENTIAL, ESS TS2+ SUPERCHARGER, AQUAMIST METHANOL + WATER INJECTION

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Have you checked for, and cleared, ALL the codes, from ALL the computers? Were there any dme (engine) codes? The trans will go into limp mode from various engine issues. This week, I fixed such an issue by replacing a bad MAF.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    Have you checked for, and cleared, ALL the codes, from ALL the computers? Were there any dme (engine) codes? The trans will go into limp mode from various engine issues. This week, I fixed such an issue by replacing a bad MAF.
    Hi there, yes, no more errors in the DME or any other module, just only the EGS, and I cleared, and after that, the failsafe mode again.

Thanks,

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Is there any chance you have the translations for the codes you received? My GT1 would have given translations, and I'm sure the INPA did, too. I don't know many codes by heart. The dealer has obviously interpreted these codes to mean you needed new clutches, I or someone else might interpret them differently.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    1992 BMW 318is
    Not sure on the codes, but if the codes are saying that the clutches are slipping, there could be numerous reasons for this. For instance, is there a transmission leak? Because if it is low on fluid, the clutches will slip and could cause those codes. Also, there are Mechatronics solenoids inside of the transmission that actuate the clutches and one or more of them could be going bad. (a kit replaces them all) Or there is a seal underneath the valve body that cracks sometimes making the transmission slip because it isnt getting the fluid pressure to hold the clutches good enough. When we see the transmission clutches slipping, being a dealership, it is in our best intrest to recommend replacing the transmission to avoid having to spend time pulling things apart inside the transmission. Especially since we don't know how long it has been slipping and how bad it was. As warranty has it, we are not allowed to do a whole lot inside of the transmission for some reason, even though we can completely rebuild the engines from a bare block. Hope this helps, good luck!
    Stock Bimmer with a slight miss at idle
    Sounds a bit deeper than it really is

My Cars
    '00 540it, '97 B4 TDI
    Did you replace the rectangular rubber gasket between the valve body & transmission? That can be the source of your string of ratio error codes.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Quote Originally Posted by g00dwagen View Post
    Did you replace the rectangular rubber gasket between the valve body & transmission? That can be the source of your string of ratio error codes.
    I learn something new every day. Thank you, friend Goodwagen! I'll try to remember that.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    '00 540it, '97 B4 TDI

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    Is there any chance you have the translations for the codes you received? My GT1 would have given translations, and I'm sure the INPA did, too. I don't know many codes by heart. The dealer has obviously interpreted these codes to mean you needed new clutches, I or someone else might interpret them differently.
    Thanks bro, but with the INPA the only thing that I could get is the one the I already post....

Quote Originally Posted by Domestic Euro View Post
    Not sure on the codes, but if the codes are saying that the clutches are slipping, there could be numerous reasons for this. For instance, is there a transmission leak? Because if it is low on fluid, the clutches will slip and could cause those codes. Also, there are Mechatronics solenoids inside of the transmission that actuate the clutches and one or more of them could be going bad. (a kit replaces them all) Or there is a seal underneath the valve body that cracks sometimes making the transmission slip because it isnt getting the fluid pressure to hold the clutches good enough. When we see the transmission clutches slipping, being a dealership, it is in our best intrest to recommend replacing the transmission to avoid having to spend time pulling things apart inside the transmission. Especially since we don't know how long it has been slipping and how bad it was. As warranty has it, we are not allowed to do a whole lot inside of the transmission for some reason, even though we can completely rebuild the engines from a bare block. Hope this helps, good luck!
    Thanks bro, well the BMW mechanic told me this, not the error....
    No leak in the transmission, the oil level are ok....
    Now I would buy the solenoids, that almost the only part the I need to change, I already change the clutch plates and the steals plates but still having the error.
    Also I would buy this seal, like g00dwagen says......

Thanks for all your complete explanation...

Hi bro, thanks for your respond, nop, I only change the clutch fiber plates and the steal plates and the oil, now, I will change the solenoids and this rubber gasket, thanks for your recommendation....

again, thanks....

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    e60
    hello jdjg... i have the same error as you but once i cleared it with INPA its ok.. but it come back on and off... did you get it fixed? before you fixed it was the transmission always on limp mode or did it turn off when you turn off you car and turn it back on

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325i
    Don't buy anything. Check SIB 24 04 07.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I'm here to relay the following information, because dealership employees aren't officially allowed to do so in public forum. One of these great people wants to help you, though:

SI B 24 04 07
    Automatic Transmission April 2007
    Technical Service

SUBJECT
    ZF 6HP19TU in Failsafe Mode with Fault 4F8D Stored

MODEL
    E90, E91, E92 with N52K or N54 engines and the 6HP19TU automatic transmission produced from 9/01/06 up to 2/28/2007

SITUATION
    The transmission goes into failsafe mode with fault code 4F8D (ratio monitoring, gearshift 5-4 – plausibility) stored in the EGS.

CAUSE
    EGS software diagnostics is too sensitive.

This fault may occur during a 5-4 downshift only in vehicles with either low mileage, a replacement transmission, or after a reset of the adaptation values.

CORRECTION
    On a customer complaint basis only, perform an adaptation run as described in the procedure below.

Note: The transmission adaptation occurs only at a transmission oil temperature of 75°C or higher.

Once a transmission oil temperature of 75°C is reached, carry out the adaptation run as follows:

In drive position "D", increase vehicle speed up to 4th gear (approximately 25 mph), but do not allow a shift into 5th gear.

Allow the vehicle to then coast to a stop and keep the vehicle stationary for approximately 15 seconds with the brake pedal applied.

Next, with the vehicle stationary, change from D to N and back to D again.

Repeat steps 1 to 3 approximately 10 times.

This problem is solved in series production beginning 3/01/07 with integration level E89x-07-03-510.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
    Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Defect Code
    24 00 23 83 00

Labor Operation:
    24 99 000

Labor Allowance:
    4 FRU
    WT

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325i
    Chris, on behalf of everyone you've helped, thank you.
    Friend of a friend of mine got laid a little while ago (I don't know the whole story of how they found out it was him) for copy/pasting information from the dealers web site on some technical stuff to forums. Last I heard they took him back after a whole bunch of BS. Shame car manufacturers behave this way. I did sign a ton of paperwork too during orientation.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325i
    Chris, on behalf of everyone you've helped, thank you.
    Friend of a friend of mine got laid a little while ago (I don't know the whole story of how they found out it was him) for copy/pasting information from the dealers web site on some technical stuff to forums. Last I heard they took him back after a whole bunch of BS. Shame car manufacturers behave this way. I did sign a ton of paperwork too during orientation.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530I

Transmission

Did you ever get the problem fix. Im having a issue with my 530I transmission clump at slow speed and the trans lights comes on, but if turn the car off and restart the light goes off. im thinking its a sensor or the trans. any help?

My Cars
    BMW

E60 BMW TRANSMISSION (48fe & 48f8 fault codes)

Hallo
    I've done replace new clucth and seal for this E60 transmission and then new fault codes (4F88 EGS RATIO MONITORING 2-3 ) shown. Me and friends thinked it maybe the problem come from the solenoid and we replaced all the solenoid with the new one. 4F88 fault code dissapered but new fault codes ( 4F8E EGS RATIO MONITORING 4-3 ) come out. For this issue the car had some trouble when accelerates which the transmission be like in N position for a while and then engaged back for accelerating but in really bad condition. Can you help us my friends

Thank you

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    You really need to identify the car, when asking for help on this forum. "E60" really doesn't do it. Tell us the manufacture date (month and year), and the model (i.e. 525, 530, 545).

Certainly, after changing the Mechatronics seal, replacing clutches, and changing the fluid and filter/pan, you need to clear adaptations and do an adaptation run as specified in the above service bulletin.

I'd also ask whether the transmission was filled correctly, with engine running, with the correct fluid, and at the correct temperature.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    BMW
    Sorry im new here ����

BMW E60 M52 (2008-2010)

Ive done the adaptation that you gave. When im accelerate to 50km/h, the transmission light on and the gear not in 'D' anymore but only in one gear (2 or 3). Fault codes given : 4F88 EGS (Electronic Transmisson Control): ratio monitoring, gearshift 2-3 & 4F8A EGS (electronic transmission control): ratio monitoring, gearshift 4-5.

We already send valve body to the sub workshop for repaired and then they told us that transmisson oil not enough in the valve body. Is it the cause of problem?

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    What month and year was the car built?