Thread: Glove Box Power Ports Mini Build Thread

My Cars
    '94 530i 5 speed

Glove Box Power Ports Mini Build Thread

I did my microfilter today and decided to have another look at using the glove box flashlight as a 12v power source. Using the cigarette lighter works but there's only that one port, having something plugged in there doesn't leave much knuckle room for shifting and it's a tangled mess out in the open.

The flashlight is tacked together at the corners and mine levered apart with a small slot-head screwdriver without too much trouble. The guts lift out of the two halves once they are separated. You'll need to desolder the internal components from the base connector first. Don't bother removing all the old solder, just heat until the components fall free.

Solder the power port leads into the flashlight base connector. Negative is the leg closest to the edge; positive is the leg closer to the middle.

Nibble enough of the battery holder to clear the new leads so the case halves can come together without strain.

Test fit the two halves together and the clamp them. A spring clamp would have been safer but vise-grips were what was closest.

CA glue is the most obvious but I was all out so I decided to try using my soldering iron to weld the plastic. Some plastics work better than others for this but here it worked pretty good. The side with the switch looks professional after a quick pass with 600 sandpaper. The other side would have looked better if I had cleaned the tip first (JSM).

Here's my initial test fit. An extra inch of wire would be really nice but it does close, barely.

Again, with the ports fully loaded: GPS on the left, USB charge power for both mini (Sansa Clip+) and micro (Kindle or phone).

With some carefully wire routing and a tweak to the glove box hinge clips it closes. Also bonus glamour shot of just a little of the nest that was in front of the microfilter.

My Cars
    '95 525i Olympic Edition
    Nice work. A couple critiques, no offense. The last pic, gps power going over the dash? Run it through the front towards the radio (radio pulled out), then run it to and out of the top center dash vent. Did that with my xm satellite antenna a few years ago. Usb's could run through the center console, popping out at a few select locations. Could also have them pop out under the ashtray to charge phones on the shift surround. Last but not least, there are flashing adapters you can buy for around $20 or so already. I chose to pull the ashtray/lighter and hardware a female plug behind the dash for my phone charger. It's used for satellite radio, mp3's, movies and navigation so I only need the 1 plug. Phone car mount is on the dash right above the fog light switch. Power pops out where the smiley adjuster switch would be, next to the fog light switch. Overall, pretty clean. Nice work on the wiring you did.

My Cars
    E34
    Cool idea. I can see why one would want to make a 'plug' out of the flashlight, but with the deletion of the flashlight, what else are you gonna use the charging port for? Why not delete the flashlight and get at the wires directly? There is tons of space behind it...you can easily wire up whatever you like and not have the +12v sockets just hangin' out. I have my GPS and phone both using those wires via an ignition operated relay...can't see one single wire...

Good work.

My Cars
    Sky Dives
    looks good man! how come you got gas struts on your glove box? mine just have crappy fabric shoelace things that has one broken. where can i get the gas struts from?
    cheers!

My Cars
    95 525/5
    i might have to do this. its a good idea to keep the gps and phone cords out of sight. one little critique, why not make the wires long enough to mount it somewhere in the glovebox instead of it just hanging there. like to the side of the box itself, or on the bottom side of the dash. overall good work though.

My Cars
    E34
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjastyle View Post
    looks good man! how come you got gas struts on your glove box? mine just have crappy fabric shoelace things that has one broken. where can i get the gas struts from?
    cheers!
    In the US, the gas glovebox shocks showed up in 94 IIRC. My 92 has the black straps too.

My Cars
    Sky Dives
    both my e34s a 95 and 94 have crappy shoelaces

My Cars
    1992 535i 5 speed, 295K
    I also retrofitted the gas shocks from a 91 740 into my 92 535 and I love it. Open it and let is fall slowly and it looks cool doing it. No more snap as it falls down with the straps. Have one extra shock in case anyone needs it.

My Cars
    95 540iA M-Sport & 525iT
    Uh, you guys know that there's a factory power adapter that plugs into the flashlight port, right? And is designed to have the plug outside of the glovebox when it's closed?
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build
    OEM additions include Euro trim, passenger seat mounted first aid kit, tool kit warning triangle, clears all around, black chrome exhaust tips, spare tire well gas can, and rear armrest fridge.

Waiting for install is an adjustable lumbar support, & drivers side glove box...

My Cars
    '94 530i 5 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba966 View Post
    Uh, you guys know that there's a factory power adapter that plugs into the flashlight port, right? And is designed to have the plug outside of the glovebox when it's closed?
    Its NLA so you'd have to find a used one for sale or get lucky in the junkyard.

Thanks all for the comments. This is version 0 but I might just leave it like it is. I like not having it permanently installed, just pull it out and leave it in the box when it's not needed. I know lots of people don't care about cutting into the stock wiring or making holes in the interior and would rather fish the wires permanently through the dash but that kind of stuff gives me the willies.

My Cars
    '95 525i Olympic Edition
    This is my setup. PO screwed an XM satellite mount to the dash I used it for a while, then swapped out the xm mount for my phone mount. A convenient location but it sucks that there is screw holes in the dash now. Wires are run about as clean as they can be except where they exit the dash. My bluetooth deck took a dump on me so I got this for $40. Not bad but now I have an extra wire, audio out. Power wire is in the hole atm. You get the idea though. Off topic a lil, this deck always sticks out about 1/4" on the right side. I push it in, it wiggles out. Irritating.

My Cars
    e46 M3, e70 3.0si
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJomamachubby View Post
    Its NLA so you'd have to find a used one for sale or get lucky in the junkyard.
    I got lucky and just bought one off a member here. Been waiting a loooong time to come across one, and I finally did
    Present: '01 e46 m3, '07 e70 X5 3.0si
    Past: '95 e34 - m52 swapped, e38 740i

My Cars
    91 535i; 00 323it
    SPeaking of the powerport for the flashlight, I just got one the other day and when to plug it in and the port "sunk" back. WTF, I thought. So I started taking everything apart (since I figured it was time for the microfiter replacement again).

Unless a shop who changed the filter for me once tweaked something (maybe a guy being lazy and not careful), I was surprised that the port just sort of "laid" with two really low-profile ridges that allowed it to slide in flush with the glove box opening.

Unless some tabs broke off? But I couldn't detect it. Anyone have a good close up of the port. I have a feeling I'm missing a piece that secures the port through the slot on the plastic housing to the left of the glove box. This mystery is starting to bug me.
    E34 Mods: OEM Coin Holder / Cup-Holder / Rubber Mats / Seat Covers / Warning Triangle / Sachs-Boge 750il bushings / Windscreen reflective sunshade / OEM Euro-spec Hella lamps to be installed soon.

Looking for OEM 15 or 16" basketweaves & cassette holder.

My Cars
    E34 5spd Touring
    Looks like a great idea, driving the other day I also noticed that something bulky (like a GPS power plug or power inverter) does get in the way of the shifter if you have it plugged in, so I can see how this would be very beneficial, nicely done!

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    hm, i kept my old flashlight when i replaced it so i could make a power port out of it and a cig lighter dongle. looks like i have a project for the evening!
    -Alex

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba966 View Post

I have that.. Came with the secod 540 from the PO...

My Cars
    1992 BMW 535iM
    I occasionally use the cig lighter to charge my phone, I have the rear one also for a passenger. I also have that flashlight converter into a cig lighter thing...pretty neat. I think 3 is more that enough.

How about hardwire a DC to AC inverter that would stay in the glove box at all times? Something like this for charging cameras and laptops would be sweet. How would if affect the battery in the long run with the car off?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTy View Post
    I occasionally use the cig lighter to charge my phone, I have the rear one also for a passenger. I also have that flashlight converter into a cig lighter thing...pretty neat. I think 3 is more that enough.

How about hardwire a DC to AC inverter that would stay in the glove box at all times? Something like this for charging cameras and laptops would be sweet. How would if affect the battery in the long run with the car off?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details
    Look up ME78569 hes done this makes for a good time on road trips.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 535iM
    ME78569 is that his user name?

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3

My Cars
    18 Cummins 3500 00 330t

My Cars
    Z1, M3 LTW, 228

Very trick

Love that link to the permanent install of the inverter.

Very creative, and a great use of space.

Will absolutely do on my 540, will make street tuning with a lap top so much easier than having an inverter banging around in the glove box as in my MTechnic project with DTA etc...
    Alex Lipowich
    xyobgyn on AOL

Trying to make the world a better place with 5 extra throttle bodies at a time.