Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: ~~M3Rob95's '94 e36 M-Technic restoration thread~~

My Cars
    02 E46 M3 IR + 13 Honda
    Rob, what diff oil were you using when the diff gave up, just curios?

My Cars
    97 S54,94 M-Technic,SE36
    Quote Originally Posted by aavi View Post
    Rob, what diff oil were you using when the diff gave up, just curios?
    Redline 75w-90. It was not the oil that caused the problem. So do not think that....

My Cars
    2000 E39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by M3Alpine99 View Post
    Rob is a driver... he doesn't need big power to wheel a car. I can also say 220whp is plenty fun haha
    220whp is enough to get you into serious trouble..

My Cars
    94 ///M Technic
    Quote Originally Posted by M3Rob95 View Post
    Will do! Please share some pics of your car!!!!
    These photos are extremely old (2003) but the car is almost exactly the same. I've added HID/DDE's and blacked out the kidney grills, but I think those are the only exterior changes. Engine is all stock 325 - I've added K&N/Chip, but nothing major. It needs an interior restoration (headliner, door panels) and the wheels need to be refinished. I am going to try to get the interior done in the next few weeks and probably do the wheels myself this summer.
    I know you had mentioned redoing some alcantara and other restoration in your interior -- any more details? I'm probably going to start pulling parts to calculate material quantities today...

Oh, and a track video here: [ame]http://youtu.be/2gHXRboRg7Y[/ame]
    Certainly not as aggressive as a true M3, but she holds her own and is a blast to drive.

-Grant

Interior photos of mine:
    http://www.xgtgx.com/MTechInt/
    Clearly needs some work. I like to think this is not really my fault though. There's only so much you can do to take care of a car. After almost 20 years, the adhesives are just going to give out
    Last edited by ///MT; 01-21-2012 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    97 S54,94 M-Technic,SE36
    The car has been at my friends getting all the paint and body work done. It is going to be AMAZING! More pictures are pending.

I have been overseas traveling in Europe. I got to drive the Autobahn and made a special visit to the Nurburgring. Unfortunately, as soon as we got to the Ring, it started snowing and I was unable to drive the famous track. It was pretty depressing.

I have decided that I will be selling this car after completion. I am going to be starting a company called Reskew motorworks or Reskew Restorations (pronounced like rescue). Its derived from my first and last name. I would really like to continue to make a few of these a year for people who want pristine examples of these cars. Also, for people that want options that are not normally offered by BMW. I would even feel confident offering warranties.

I am not sure what the fair price would be for this car. I am thinking around $20,000.

What does everyone think? Literally everything will be perfect...
    Last edited by M3Rob95; 02-03-2012 at 12:45 PM.

My Cars
    94 ///M Technic
    I think clearly we need to see the finished product to judge the value

If I had the $20K burning a hole in my pocket I'd surely be interested.

Now get back to building!

My Cars
    1999 M3 Coupe
    Great work looks awesome
    Hope to get my AW like that one day

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Great work. Looks awesome!

If I had it, I wouldn't hesitate to pay $20K for that level of detail.

My Cars
    996, S13, E46 E36, C4
    Man, can't wait to see pics!

There's a guy on NSX Prime who does what you are trying to do. He buys totalled NSXs and rebuilds them from the ground-up and sells them.

I love seeing cars, especially rare ones, brought back to life. Hope to see more threads from you!

My Cars
    97 S54,94 M-Technic,SE36

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ApexHunter1 View Post
    Great work. Looks awesome!

If I had it, I wouldn't hesitate to pay $20K for that level of detail.
    Thanks for the compliments. I have been out of the country but I will be getting everything back to 100% asap.

Lately, the car has been fully disassembled and undergoing all the prep for a proper paint job. There will be NO expense spared with this paint work. I am devoted to make sure it is as perfect as factory. More to come!

Thanks again Bf.c!

Rob

My Cars
    1994 bmw 325is M Technic
    Awesome project.

My Cars
    Mmmm's
    Subscribed... I also have one of these awesome cars and just bought a donor car with a really strong S52 in it... GL
    Last edited by Morpheustj; 04-18-2012 at 04:35 PM.
    19 - BMW's: Past / Present
    1979-E21 Euro Red/Black-RIP. Where it all began!!
    1986-325es/345 Bronze/Tan -SOLD
    1992-325IS Silver/Dove-SOLD
    1993-325IS-Brilliantrot(Custom)/Tan-SOLD -
    2005-E46 M3 ZCP ILB / Grey - SOLD
    1999-M3-Alpine/Black - SOLD
    1995-M3 Alpine/Dove - SOLD
    1997-M3/4/5 Black/Black - SOLD
    1994-M-Design/M-Technic - Project car-sold
    1995-M3-Avus -track car build
    2003 ZHP Mystic Blue/Carmel - SOLD I'm not sure why
    2011 M3/4/7 ZCP Lemans / Black /Slicktop - SOLD
    1999 M3 Fern GTS-3 Race Car/Track car - SOLD
    2003 M3 Stahlgrau/Schwarz - Track Car - SOLD
    2001 Euro Imported Slicktop MtechII Touring - S54 6sp
    2005 M3 TiSilver/Schwarz - sold
    2004 330i 6sp Grey/Black - sold
    2003 M3-Sedan Hellrot wGrey/Black Indv Int - DD
    2001 M3 Wagon Orient Blue/Red Fox - FOR SALE

My Cars
    1998 318ti Cali Roof

Aaack - my old car!

Quote Originally Posted by M3Rob95 View Post
    Back in December of 2010, a kid I knew got this pretty sweet black e36. He needed me to swap his cooling system and I was more than glad to help out.

When I was first checking out the car, I was like, "Dude, nice shift knob. Too bad it has a 6-speed emblem..."

He replied, "It is a 6-speed!"

I couldnt believe it! This kid knew nothing about e36 or what he had.

Upon further inspection, I found out it had a Stickley built OBDI S52 engine with cams, euro headers, 3.5in intake system, injectors, custom ignition coils, underdrive pullies, UUC 8.5lb flywheel, 3.38 diff, etc. The thing is QUICK!!!!!

Unfortunately, I gave it a month before I knew it would be totaled.

Sure enough, I was right. A few weeks after he got it, he balled it up. Every single panel on the car had some kind of damage. As far as I know, he slid off the road on some ice, and did several 360s along a fence on the side of the road! lol.

Anyways, got it towed to my house for a tear down...

I did take it for a quick spin and it was still really fast :P

That night:

That morning I got to work.

I have two Active Autowerk exhausts!!! WOO

Few hours later, I made the engine my btcih.

Then put it right next to my white car to get them introduced to each other, haha!

Black car had nice seats! Flipped them for a nice penny, +$120.

Rears are still FS $50

The M50 is for sale out of the M-Technic. That would be nice to own

The white car had AA adjustable lower control arms. Also FS :P :P :P

Got the trans off the 3.2. This was the first time I confirmed it did have a UUC lightweight flywheel. Sold it for a nice penny as well, +$750

I know this is odd, but I just ran across your "Let me build your perfect BMW" thread in the FS forum and linked over to see your work.

My heart sunk when I saw the first image in this post - it was my old 332is! Blood, sweat, tears, and cash all crumpled up like last week's trash. And yes, he did not understand what he had...

My only solace is that it now graces your car. What a fantastic heart transplant! Enjoy!

Chris

My Cars
    97 S54,94 M-Technic,SE36
    Quote Originally Posted by cbryant514 View Post
    I know this is odd, but I just ran across your "Let me build your perfect BMW" thread in the FS forum and linked over to see your work.

My heart sunk when I saw the first image in this post - it was my old 332is! Blood, sweat, tears, and cash all crumpled up like last week's trash. And yes, he did not understand what he had...

My only solace is that it now graces your car. What a fantastic heart transplant! Enjoy!

Chris

Your car was a super machine! I knew that it would not last but a few days! You sold it for a very fair penny too for what all you had done to it. You took care of everything! The motor is very very stout as well!

Let me help you get into another vehicle! It would be an honor!

Happy motoring Chris!

Rob

My Cars
    1998 318ti Cali Roof
    We shall see. I'm hunting for an inexpensive weekend / HPDE toy right now, so I will contact you should the "need" arise.

Thanks Rob and I look forward to seing your completed work!

Chris

My Cars
    97 S54,94 M-Technic,SE36
    Allllll right boys! I am back with some looooong over due updates to the M-technic build. Things have been slow as the car has been at paint. I have a ton of pics that will be posted below. I have also started fixing up some other odds and ends. Things have been moving along nicely. It is April 2nd and I should be getting the body back from paint on Wednesday. The rest of the panels will be done before mid-April and then it will be hammer time! I am putting in the order for all new exterior seals so I am excited. Enjoy the pics!

Here are the first pics of the car where the tear down began. You can see in a few of the pics where the car had been previously repainted. This will all be sanded down for a proper paint job. The taping begins...

Taped up. All the dents and dings were pulled out.

This was where the BIG dent was.

Primed and ready for the base coat! The primer doesn't look that bad itself :P

COLOR

Other little things I have been working on is restoring the window trim. Again, they are about $110 new, but no one will be able to tell the difference

Up and out of the way. Lookin great!

The original rear door panels were completely bubbly, and the hurricane cloth did not have the color I know it should have. I began working on these as well. These surprisingly took several days to do...

Got the fabric back from the cleaners, looking brand new!

I laid it over the old center insert to get another picture before going to work with the glue.

I used a professional headliner glue that I had previously used on some headliner projects. This stuff is great! Expensive as hell but awesome! It is the only glue that I have used on a headliner job that didnt start falling after a year or two.

Got some high-temp hot glue to secure the insert to my rear panel. Look at those glue welds!

Finished panel. You can see a tad bit of bubbling where the seat belt goes. I decided to reuse this panels as it is still in great shape minus that one spot. I ordered a new one for the passenger side as it would not be up to my standard. Also, the little spot will not be noticable since the buckle will be there and the seat cushion. The other will be Perfect!!!!!

*** Not seen in the pictures are the pieces that have the tabs that actually hold the panel to the body of the car. Those things that hold the tabs almost ALWAYS falls off on these panels, esp the fronts. I very liberally epoxied the tab holders to the panel for a permanent solution. These panels are going to be tooooight!
    Last edited by M3Rob95; 04-02-2012 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E34 M5, E91 328i, FZJ80
    Awesome progress!
    Instagram @Restoration_Motorsport
    www.RestorationMotorsport.com
    -Nick

My Cars
    1998 318ti Cali Roof
    Yummy! The paint and cloth look great!

My Cars
    80 320is, 98 328is
    just read the thread! awesome work!

My Cars
    E36
    Great topic! Just read the entire thread!
    http://www.e36-technics.com for all your E36 information and DIYs

My Cars
    1999 M3 Coupe
    Definitely a build for the records. Love the alpine, and all the hard work. I can only hope to do maybe half this to mine, including the 6 speed eventually.

But seriously, DAMN! Definitely subscribed!

SCENIC BYWAYs......

My Cars
    97 S54,94 M-Technic,SE36
    Got a very very nice new passenger side door panel from John at German Auto Parts in NC. Thanks again John!

I began tearing it apart. The original black insert was in there really good still and took some finesse to get it out. And by finesse, I mean a flathead screwdriver :P

Aftermath:

And the final product. This one looks incredible!
    Last edited by M3Rob95; 04-05-2012 at 03:08 PM.

My Cars
    97 S54,94 M-Technic,SE36
    This was before dropping the car off for paint. Just a little celebratory burnout for getting it all put together:

It was filmed with a go-pro camera but the 1080p footage will not load up for some reason. I am trying to figure it out..
    Last edited by M3Rob95; 04-17-2012 at 11:12 PM.

My Cars
    E46iT- Coma E36- RIP E34
    Please tell me that's your brother....if not you should stop hanging around people that look exactly like you, it's creepy

My Cars
    a few too many
    wow, those panels look great

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast