Thread: E31 Head Light Adjuster - The permanent solution

My Cars
    2000 330Ci, 1972 3.0CS

Talking E31 Head Light Adjuster - The permanent solution

For those with Euro spec headlights, please take note.

These headlights fail to adjust overt time because the two adjusters are VERY fragile and will often be broken where they come through the housing (bucket). The part that regularly breaks is 63121392067 and each side has two. They break as a result of the black plastic being far to brittle and you’ll need a special tool 630020 to fit then. Even with the special tool you’ll break the new ones 90% of the time.

The problem is compounded by the fact that the adjuster screw can’t be matched for a retro fit as the thread is M6x1.75.

So, here’s a relatively simple and permanent fix.

Follow all the instruction on pulling the bucket from the car. If you can, get hold of an old adjuster screw. You’ll be hard pressed to pull one out of the bucket as the white retainer fits too tightly into the housing for it to be successful removed and re-installed. If you can’t get an old one, buy just one 63121392067 and use it as a tapping tool to replicate the thread.

Firstly remove the black plastic off the adjuster screw if indeed there’s anything left of it. Clean the 4 screws and do all the other lens cleaning stuff as described elsewhere.

The idea is to permanently replace the black plastic gadget with a durable, threaded alternative. Study the attached diagrams carefully and make the bits described from 3mm aluminium plate. Once you’ve made 4 pairs (to service both lights) use the ‘spare’ adjuster screw to tap a thread into the outer plates. Do this slowly and carefully as with any tapping job.

When refitting, use a little silicon on the inner plate to hold it in place against the inner bucket and refit all the parts in order. Then spin the outer plates onto the adjuster screws until you’re in a position to connect the inner and outer plates with three 6G self-tapping screws (about 25mm long). It wouldn’t hurt on apply a film of sealant to the outer plate to water-proof the face.

Done…. You can now adjust your headlights to your heart’s content with an E25 TORX socket (if you can find one) or a 4mm hex socket.

Please use this link for the full details -
    http://www.mwds.com/Temp/Headlight_Adjuster_e31.pdf
    Last edited by MWDS; 09-12-2011 at 07:54 AM.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Nice write-up. Only thing I would do is fabricate 6 pair of plates instead of the 4 pair that are called for in the instructions. There are three adjuster assemblies in each headlight...
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    2000 330Ci, 1972 3.0CS
    I'd beg to differ here.... The third adjuster you're refering to is actually not and adjuster at all. It's refered to cleverly as an intermidiate piece in Realoem - 63121392030. This part is worth replacing and you'll have the same difficulty installing it into the bucket (for the same reasons mentioned previously) but it's a static pivot and doesn't have a threaded shaft.

This makes it a little more difficult to reverse engineer. But there will be an answer.... Watch this space.

As a postscript to this issue.... I had to replace the buckets as well and used p/n 63128354551 & 63128354552.

The holes in the new parts for the cable grommet to sit in is 45mm dia. Whereas the originals were only 35mm. So, if replacing the buckets you'll have to manufacture a grommet for the grommets...

Very tardy Mr BMW....
    Last edited by MWDS; 09-12-2011 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by MWDS View Post
    I'd beg to differ here.... The third adjuster you're refering to is actually not and adjuster at all. It's refered to cleverly as an intermidiate piece in Realoem - 63121392030. ..
    Really? Well, the third piece has the same basic function as the other two - it is used to get the generally location of the headlight assembly in the bucket and the "other" two units do the fine adjusting. It IS in fact the same piece, only the length of the screw is different - so at the end of the day, if you plan on doing this "mod", you might as well do that one too, which is why I noted that it acrually is 6 pair, instead of 4.

On a side note: I have dealt with many EURO headlight assemblies, and have not had a problem with these adjusters (I do, of course, use the proper setting tool). This solution is a good one, and makes installation more reliable - especially if you are trying to snap the OEM adjusters in with pliers.
    Last edited by TxGR8White; 09-12-2011 at 07:59 AM.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    2000 330Ci, 1972 3.0CS
    I generally agree with you... But the inboard 'adjuster' is actually not an adjuster at all. It is used to locate the headlight in the bucket but it's not adjustable - it has no thread.

It has the same black plastic mounting and YES you really need the correct tool to install it, but even then, one false move and you're stuffed. A similar solution will work, but you have to find a way to 'lock' the plates onto the knurled shaft as the distance to the ball end is critical.

As an aside, anyone you uses priers on the three pronged plastic ends is courting disaster.

My Cars
    1997 M73, Individual
    Quote Originally Posted by MWDS View Post
    I generally agree with you... But the inboard 'adjuster' is actually not an adjuster at all. It is used to locate the headlight in the bucket but it's not adjustable - it has no thread.

It has the same black plastic mounting and YES you really need the correct tool to install it, but even then, one false move and you're stuffed. A similar solution will work, but you have to find a way to 'lock' the plates onto the knurled shaft as the distance to the ball end is critical.

As an aside, anyone you uses priers on the three pronged plastic ends is courting disaster.

I have to agree with you there. Your solution is simple and should be very effective. As an aside, even when using the correct tool and brand "new" adjusters, they can still break - I had this happen to me with a set I had just bought from BMW and I was being ultra careful with the tool. Shite design to use plastic for these items, if they were made of metal it would be fine.

My Cars
    E31/E32 VWs Tesla
    I wonder if Charlie ordered ~50 adjuster kits, maybe they would run another batch?

'89 735i, '91 850i, '81 MB 380SLC (For Sale), Tesla Model 3, and VW Passat TDI -- Yes, I still repair General Modules, DM for info!

My Cars
    1995 840Ci
    Are you referring to the usa adjusters?

The euro ones are available. I had no problem at all installing 3 last night. Heating the plastic is key. (Boiling water)

My Cars
    1994 BMW 840csi
    Greetings headlight adjuster gurus,

Help! I'm getting ready to try and fix my father's US spec 1994 840csi. I've read all the threads I can find and I'm still confused as to how to properly and inexpensively fix US spec headlight adjusters. Have I missed it? or is there a thread that precisely helps and describes what parts are needed, what needs to be fabricated and what the process is and what to avoid? Any help would be appreciated (ie, contact names for those wonderful people that have fabricated parts available, pictures, general advice, etc.)
    Thank you,

My Cars
    1991 E31 alpine white

USA BMW e31 headlight fix

Quote Originally Posted by bipd818 View Post
    Greetings headlight adjuster gurus,

Help! I'm getting ready to try and fix my father's US spec 1994 840csi. I've read all the threads I can find and I'm still confused as to how to properly and inexpensively fix US spec headlight adjusters. Have I missed it? or is there a thread that precisely helps and describes what parts are needed, what needs to be fabricated and what the process is and what to avoid? Any help would be appreciated (ie, contact names for those wonderful people that have fabricated parts available, pictures, general advice, etc.)
    Thank you,
    Hello. Did you find any guidance regarding fixing the headlights besides buying new? I am in the process of reinstalling the glass beam into the housing and not quite sure I need to tighten the two adjusters and if I need to turn(unscrew) the third intermediate post into the plastic bucket/thimble. I think it should pop into it. Any guidance? Thank you, Tore

My Cars
    1997 840Ci
    6312139067 are no longer available. Can anybody post the PDF from the OP? The link appears to be invalid...

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdm886 View Post
    Hello. Did you find any guidance regarding fixing the headlights besides buying new? I am in the process of reinstalling the glass beam into the housing and not quite sure I need to tighten the two adjusters and if I need to turn(unscrew) the third intermediate post into the plastic bucket/thimble. I think it should pop into it. Any guidance? Thank you, Tore
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...6#post29307396

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...olution-Part-2!
    What "thumbs up" really means