RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Steering problems--again

My Cars
    '01 330i

Steering problems--again

i've still got my steering issue that i posted before the board went down, but i've got some more info now. when i turn hard to the left like at an intersection or in a parking lot it doesn't return to center smoothly. there is a spot where the steering wheel is at about 10 o'clock that it sticks a bit instead of returning smoothly to center. i also notice a slight creaking coming from the front left if i listen carefully. i don't seem to have any problems with right hand turns. a couple of people mentioned it might be the shock mount. someone else thought it was the control arm ball joint. any other ideas? what should i look for to diagnose the problem? thanks.

My Cars
    Bernmobile
    1. Ball joints
    2. Tie rods
    3. Control arm bushings
    4. Shocks

It's likely to be one, or more, of these things.

Good luck,
    Bernman

My Cars
    '01 330i
    after looking at the bentley manuals steering and suspension troubleshooting table, it looks like it might be the upper strut bearing. it is mentioned a couple of times in there, but they don't show it in the diagram of the front strut assembly. i assume i would have to take the whole strut apart to get to the strut bearing, right?

My Cars
    Bernmobile
    Yes, you have to take the shock apart to get to the upper strut bearing. I have to say though, that this part is far less likely to wear out than the ball joints, tie rods, and shocks themselves.

Good luck,
    Bernman