Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vibration while decelerating?

My Cars
    507whp 318i

Vibration while decelerating?

Anyone have this issue before? When I lift off throttle and engine brake around a certain spot I'll get a harmonic vibration that can actually get pretty rough at times. Driveshaft was just replaced along with the clutch and flywheel. The diff that I'm running def has a little bit too much lash. Has anyone had diff issues that made this happen?

My Cars
    BMWs
    Yep - I run UUC racing trans mounts, when the trans moves just right, the vibration is more noticeable. Check your transmission mounts.

My Cars
    507whp 318i
    This is more of a substantial vibration... like shakes the whole car. Not just a trans issue.

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    What is lash? Define
    How does one know they have it?

Any diffs I've experienced made more noise when out of load (decel or between gears)
    but no vibrations.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by bavdrftr318 View Post
    This is more of a substantial vibration... like shakes the whole car. Not just a trans issue.
    Yes. Check trans mounts.

My Cars
    507whp 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    Yes. Check trans mounts.
    They are brand new UUC red bolt through with like 100 miles on them.

The diff has lash meaning there is too much play in between the gears. When I turn the input flange by hand there is play.

My Cars
    2001 E36 M57TUD Compact
    I'd shoot for the differential being shut if you have loads of play... this can cause vibrations... when decelerating / engine braking...

Although UUC trans-mounts are stiff and could cause minor vibrating feel...

if the whole car vibrates.... i'm betting on the differential...
    Viktor Agnar Falk Guðmundsson
    -----------------------------

Signature idea, courtesy of 5mall5nails

My Cars
    2008 335, 2011 X3
    Yes. Check trans mounts.
    +1
    2008 335I Space Grey,Black leather, Steptronic
    Vishnu Procede V3 (16-17 lb boost) ,AA FMIC,AA Discharge tube/BOV,AA Downpipes,AA Race Exhaust, AFE Elite intake,BSH catch can, OS Giken LSD, PSS10 suspension, H&R sway bars, Motorsport CF strut brace, Stoptech BBKS, Forgeline ZX3S 19 x 8.5 front and 19 x 9.5 rears w/P235 35 19 fronts and P275 30 19 rear Conti Extreme DW's,Motorsport alcantara digital steering wheel, P3 boost gauge..etc

2011 X3 X-Drive 35i, Mineral Silver, Oyster leather
    Hartge Power Pack tuner, H&R sport springs, Forgeline DE3S 19 x 9 Conti Extreme DW P245 45 19 all around, Supersprint Exhaust

AA Preferred Dealer

My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    Over-torqued or pre-loaded UUC trans mounts (w/ enforcers) cause vibrations.

also

the red UUC mounts are KNOWN for some good quality vibrations.
    Last edited by milKt; 09-10-2011 at 12:41 PM.

My Cars
    507whp 318i
    These vibrations shouldn't be enough to shake the seat, steering wheel though should they? When I free rev the car I get a little vibration which I feel like IS because of the red mounts, but the decelerating vibration is pretty substantial.

My Cars
    99 M3
    You mentioned changing the driveshaft, clutch, and flywheel. Did the guibo get changed out? When mine went bad, same symptoms: When engine braking after letting off (became more frequent the worse the guibo got), in certain spots in the rev range, it would have very harsh, violent vibration that would shake through the whole car and when accelerating (only sometimes though) it would have light vibration.

So, check the guibo if it hasn't already been replaced recently.

Oh, and was this car at Technica last weekend? I looks identical to the one I saw. I think it was the same car, and it was superclean. Have fun with it!
    99 M3

My Cars
    BMWs
    These vibrations shouldn't be enough to shake the seat, steering wheel though should they? When I free rev the car I get a little vibration which I feel like IS because of the red mounts, but the decelerating vibration is pretty substantial.
    Yes. The red mounts with thru bolts with or without aluminum cups will transmit a lot of vibration through the car. If you over torque its REALLY noticeable.

My Cars
    507whp 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by m3leistung View Post
    You mentioned changing the driveshaft, clutch, and flywheel. Did the guibo get changed out? When mine went bad, same symptoms: When engine braking after letting off (became more frequent the worse the guibo got), in certain spots in the rev range, it would have very harsh, violent vibration that would shake through the whole car and when accelerating (only sometimes though) it would have light vibration.

So, check the guibo if it hasn't already been replaced recently.

Oh, and was this car at Technica last weekend? I looks identical to the one I saw. I think it was the same car, and it was superclean. Have fun with it!
    Interesting thought. Pretty positive it was just the guibo that was still attached to the driveshaft I picked up. Def something to look into. Thanks for the help!

Yes. The red mounts with thru bolts with or without aluminum cups will transmit a lot of vibration through the car. If you over torque its REALLY noticeable.
    How do I know if they are over torqued? Do these have tq specs or is it just a tighten by feel kinda thing?
    Last edited by bavdrftr318; 09-12-2011 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    turbo m3
    What about the CSB?
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    507whp 318i
    Could be, I think it's in pretty good shape though...

My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    How do I know if they are over torqued? Do these have tq specs or is it just a tighten by feel kinda thing?
    16 ft/lbs is the UUC suggested torque value for their trans mounts with enforcers, I believe.

"Option 2 - street cars that see heavy track use, dedicated track cars:

Red urethane isolated transmission mount bushings, which are replacing our previous-style red neoprene. These are fully isolated, having two seperate mounting bolt hardware pieces embedded in the material just like the black neoprene and OE BMW bushings. The urethane is a higher durometer (stiffer) material than the neoprene and offers nearly the same drivetrain motion control as a solid delrin or aluminum mount, but with significant vibration isolation. That last detail makes it a better choice for a track car that is occassionally street-driven, where cabin noise is a concern. While UUC does expect some vibration transmitted into the cabin, initial user reports say that it is minimal and certainly acceptable."

My Cars
    E30 m30 turbo
    what happens when you torque them over 16ft?

My Cars
    E30 m30 turbo
    what happens when you torque them over 16ft?

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3; 1999 BMW M3
    please forgive the thread revival...

bavdrftr - did you resolve this vibration? what was the fix? guibo?

My Cars
    507whp 318i
    Actually no it's still there . The only thing that haven't been changed out is completely is the transmission now, which I feel shouldn't have anything to do with it

Had two driveshafts, two diffs, 3 sets of axles, 2 guibos, 2 center support bearings. Only other place it could be coming from is the clutch/flywheel, or the motor itself.

I still have the vibration that is fairly noticeable when free revving the car with the clutch pushed in around 2.2k rpm. I'm lost.....

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Could something, typically exhaust but possibly other things, be touching the car body or a subframe or a brace during these conditions? How much clearance do you have around everything under the car?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    I have a slight vibration around 2k as well. But only if I hold it there out of gear. I don't have any vibration when decelerating. It sounds like you may have 2 problems. The slight vibration at 2k wouldn't bother me. I don't really give mine too much thought.

Just a shot in the dark here. Are you sure you don't have out of adjustment park brake shoes. Sounds funny but I had a car that would shake real bad when decelerating and that's what it turned out to be. They were partially locked and the P. brake drum was warped. This combined to make a "rattle the interior" kind of vibration.

My Cars
    507whp 318i
    Just swapped spindles out back so new p brake everything and the issue is still the same.

Nothing touching the car underneath that isn't supposed to....

My Cars
    supercharged 97 m3
    Did you check the clutch/flywheel combo? It may be worth it to have it removed, inspected and balanced...
    Insufficient funds...

My Cars
    09 135i;Turbo e36
    it might be silly, but front control arms bushings and balljoints are known to cause vibrations on braking when they are on the way out. check that.

AZ 51 STEP GRAD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast