Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BMW Technician Starting Pay?

My Cars
    Personally I love my job. It is difficult at times, and it can be very stressful and challenging. But, also very rewarding too. If I could make this kind of money doing anything else, I probably would. But this is the only thing I know how to do. And I'm good at it. I make more money than just about everyone I know, including my sister and bro-in-law combined. Both of whom graduated from Auburn with degrees.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    Personally I love my job. It is difficult at times, and it can be very stressful and challenging. But, also very rewarding too. If I could make this kind of money doing anything else, I probably would. But this is the only thing I know how to do. And I'm good at it. I make more money than just about everyone I know, including my sister and bro-in-law combined. Both of whom graduated from Auburn with degrees.
    how long have you been working as a bmw tech?

My Cars
    04 ZHP Vert, '75 R60/6
    I have to agree and say its not all that bad. I have as many bills as most people do and have been doing it 2.5 years. I work at least 50 hours a week though and come home with sore feet/knees most days. Don't plan on doing it forever but it's damn good money right now!

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by pat3022 View Post
    how long have you been working as a bmw tech?

I worked at BMW of Montgomery for 5 years. Then I quit and got a job with United BMW in Roswell, GA. I've been here for 1.5 years, so about 6.5 total.

My Cars
    Thanks.

In case people are wondering, I started right out of tech school (no STEP) working at BMW of Montgomery as an apprentice for $12/hr on the clock. After a few months, maybe five at the most, I was put on my own at $14.50 flat rate. They kept sending me to classes, and I proved I knew what the hell I was doing and could make a lot of hours. Shortly after that I got bumped to $17.50, which is what several of the other guys were making. I kinda stayed there for a year or two, then got a bump to $18.50, then $19, and I think I was at $21 when I left.

Needless to say, I make a good bit more than that where I am now.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 735i
    Wow, i had been considering the step program until i saw this thread, it sounds like a lot of extra effort with little extra reward.

I just graduated PCT with an A.A.S. in automotive tech. And now im working at a cadillac dealership making 11.50/hour in an area where top techs make $22/hr. max. At this point i would have done better to drop out last summer and continue to make $13/hr at firestone doing tires/oil/other shit work because there we had a ton of business and i could beat flat-rate as well as get a higher wage. Im flagging just as many hours per pay period as the guys who have been working at my dealership for 5+ years (usually 25-50 flagged hours while clocking 90 in 2 weeks). Theres zero motivation to try and beat flat-rate at the dealer because that just means you'll have nothing to do sooner after lunch. Ive been here for 2 months and im already on flat-rate just like everyone else but i dont get a raise so now im just cheap labor at a shop that has so few customers that its hardly profitable anyway. On top of all that the people i work with are complete downers, they are constantly miserable, theres maybe 5 people in all of service/parts/detailing i can talk to and walk away from still feeling good about my day.

This thread makes it sound like i could do a few dollars/hour better if i lived in an area that would also have a higher cost of living after going through step.

I really enjoy working on cars and im not too bad at it either, i can do big disassemblies and advanced diagnostics as well as most of the guys i work with. But i dont go to work for recreation, if you get what im saying.
    Last edited by Bosch Power; 07-23-2012 at 08:02 PM.

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    My exp:

graduated HS in 98
    went to a tech school for 2.5 yrs.
    got hired ( in jan 2000) at the local infiniti dealer b4 i graduated the tech school. This dealer owned infiniti, dodge, buick and BMW
    left infiniti in may of 01 to go to BMW. Worked for this company until 04 when they sold out to SONIC automotive. new dealer is now BMW of Montgomery.
    Left there in 07 (making 22.50 at BoM) to go to another BMW delaer making $6.00 more an hour.
    left there in late 08 to go to an indpendant shop, stayed ther for 3 yrs and now I am at a MB dealer. Been there 1 yr now.

I will say it is harder for a "new tech" to make it in a dealer. The other techs at my delaer have 10+ yrs exp. so how do you think i feel.

But i still turn an avg of 55+ hr a week (taken my time) and its EASY. VERY EASY. I dont have to worry about all the BS programming that BMW does. I may get 1 trouble car a week and the rest is services. I would say the 7 other techs only get 1-2 trouble cars a week. MB just dont have the issues as BMW does. I was offered the MB job back in 05 and turned it down. What i know now, I should have taken that job back then. And the real plus here is that MB warranty pays more than BMW on most things.

But everyone has to understand how much it cost a dealer to send a tech to school. its not cheap. esp for 1 to take 2-3 classes and leave.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    94 GMC sonoma 4x4 - hpd30/8.8 - toy
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)
    01 Pontiac WS6 - Garage Queen
    12 RAM CC Hemi powered - new DD

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    06 330I, 11 GTI, 04 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosch Power View Post
    Wow, i had been considering the step program until i saw this thread, it sounds like a lot of extra effort with little extra reward.

I just graduated PCT with an A.A.S. in automotive tech. And now im working at a cadillac dealership making 11.50/hour in an area where top techs make $22/hr. max. At this point i would have done better to drop out last summer and continue to make $13/hr at firestone doing tires/oil/other shit work because there we had a ton of business and i could beat flat-rate as well as get a higher wage. Im flagging just as many hours per pay period as the guys who have been working at my dealership for 5+ years (usually 25-50 flagged hours while clocking 90 in 2 weeks). Theres zero motivation to try and beat flat-rate at the dealer because that just means you'll have nothing to do sooner after lunch. Ive been here for 2 months and im already on flat-rate just like everyone else but i dont get a raise so now im just cheap labor at a shop that has so few customers that its hardly profitable anyway. On top of all that the people i work with are complete downers, they are constantly miserable, theres maybe 5 people in all of service/parts/detailing i can talk to and walk away from still feeling good about my day.

This thread makes it sound like i could do a few dollars/hour better if i lived in an area that would also have a higher cost of living after going through step.

I really enjoy working on cars and im not too bad at it either, i can do big disassemblies and advanced diagnostics as well as most of the guys i work with. But i dont go to work for recreation, if you get what im saying.
    i too graduated PCT in 07...went right to the STEP program and have been working on BMWs since. That being said-i make good money, but i bust my ass every day, and obviously I'm rewarded for doing so. That has got me to turning the most hours in the shop-but i still say technicians are underpaid. Most sales people in my store make more money than most techs without dropping 100k plus on tools. I wish i had gone through the 4 year degree program when i was in wilpo instead of leaving with just the AAS. As for making 11 an hour-id peace out of that asap-bad attitudes and a lack of motivation spread like the plague and getting into a good busy shop is critical in this industry. Id focus on finding a better manufacturer and a better shop...

My Cars
    German Super Saloon
    It's all about finding the right dealership. That may not be as easy as it sounds though. I started at $24/hr flat rate right out of STEP. Struggled for a while. Basically same story as everyone has been telling. It has gotten better for me though and I know people who are happy as BMW technicians. I know a lot of people who are not happy too. I have personally seen techs pull 6 figure incomes but it may not be common everywhere in the country. It is what you make of it.
    Photobucket sucks!

Long live the E34!

My Cars
    1992 BMW 735i
    Quote Originally Posted by turbovrGTI

i too graduated PCT in 07...went right to the STEP program and have been working on BMWs since. That being said-i make good money, but i bust my ass every day, and obviously I'm rewarded for doing so. That has got me to turning the most hours in the shop-but i still say technicians are underpaid. Most sales people in my store make more money than most techs without dropping 100k plus on tools. I wish i had gone through the 4 year degree program when i was in wilpo instead of leaving with just the AAS. As for making 11 an hour-id peace out of that asap-bad attitudes and a lack of motivation spread like the plague and getting into a good busy shop is critical in this industry. Id focus on finding a better manufacturer and a better shop...
    After this year im considering heading back to wilpo to finish the 4year degree. Its one of the options on my table. You and i probably had a bunch of the same teachers tho i just graduated may of 2012. Honestly if i could do it again, right out of high school i would go to PCT for welding. My roommate did that and now hes going to make 7x what i make this year with far better job security at the weld shop he's working at.

02325: thats funny that you say that about problem cars, at my buick/gmc/cadillac dealership i work on mostly problem cars and get maybe 8 maintenance/inspection tickets per week.
    Last edited by Bosch Power; 07-24-2012 at 08:23 AM.

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    we try and rotate the problems thru our shop to keep everything running smooth. If its an older car (late 90's or earlier) with issues the shop forman gets it.

But i did get a 2012 GLK 350 with 2014 miles on it with a pouring rear main seal today. looked up labor under warranty to replace it. it pays 8.8 hrs to replace it. can be done in around 2.5 hrs. gotta love that MB warranty rate.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    Hmm, sounds like MB warranty pays a good bit more than BMW. I think the last rear main I did was on an F10 and paid about 4 or 5.

But an E65 transmission still pays 6 or 7. Too bad most of them will be out of warranty soon.

My Cars
    German Super Saloon
    Just did a head gasket on an N54. Pays 216 frus not including DW.
    Photobucket sucks!

Long live the E34!

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    Hmm, sounds like MB warranty pays a good bit more than BMW. I think the last rear main I did was on an F10 and paid about 4 or 5.

But an E65 transmission still pays 6 or 7. Too bad most of them will be out of warranty soon.

We can get paid for road test, clean up, finding the leak/verifying the leak, remove flywheel, remove rear main, replacing trans cooler o-rings, clear faults, connect battery maintainer, etc. the trans only paid 3.7 to R&R, by the time you add up all the other op codes it comes to 8.8. BM doesn't have 1 op code to replace the rear main like BMW does. you have to find everything you can claim. its harder to look up, but it pays more.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    German Super Saloon
    Quote Originally Posted by 02325 View Post
    We can get paid for road test, clean up, finding the leak/verifying the leak, remove flywheel, remove rear main, replacing trans cooler o-rings, clear faults, connect battery maintainer, etc. the trans only paid 3.7 to R&R, by the time you add up all the other op codes it comes to 8.8. BM doesn't have 1 op code to replace the rear main like BMW does. you have to find everything you can claim. its harder to look up, but it pays more.
    From what I have seen all the op codes are typically incorporated in a repair. You may be able to squeeze a few things out but typically not as much as you listed. I could be wrong. I will most definitely check in the morning though as this is news to me.
    Photobucket sucks!

Long live the E34!

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    it only pays like .5 to replace the rear main. that does not including removeing trans or flywheel. looked at my flag sheet and only got 7.9 hrs for the repair. so something that was looked up didn't pay. MB doesn't group alot of things together as BMW does. thats why I get paid more from the same job at MB.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    2004 325xi,2004 545i SMG
    Quote Originally Posted by 02325 View Post

bmw pays for road testing, cleaning, diagnosis to find the rear main leak or what ever you are diagnosing. they do however have one op code for rear main like said but its pretty fair. if you are not getting diag, cleaning, road testing then the warranty booker is not doing there job right.
    Level 1 Certified BMW tech.

My Cars
    +1

Believe me 02325, Eric was not doing his job right, at BoM. I get much more time here for warranty work. I can usually squeeze .7-.8 from a bulb under warranty if it's the only line on the ticket. .2 for DIS test, .4 for test plan, and .1-.2 depending which bulb. Every check engine light or warning light I start out with at least .6 for DIS test and at least one test plan. Then you can get another .3 if there's a second test plan, so sometimes you can start out with almost an hour before even touching the car. You know that never happened at BoM.

My Cars
    2004 325xi,2004 545i SMG
    yup, like I said your career falls down to a min wage worker that sits at a computer looking up work times and coding it. they have no clue (most) about cars, what parts go where or what they do. they only have your story and if they do something wrong the tech suffers, usually. BMW will never tell a dealer that they didnt ask for enough money on a job never. i dont think any other mfg will either. but if you ask too much all hell rains down on the dealership. So.... this make the warranty admin gun shy. pretty soon they dont claim for little things just the main work and the tech gets screwed.

i saw this at two shops now, doesnt look like it will change.
    Level 1 Certified BMW tech.

My Cars
    German Super Saloon
    I think I misunderstood your previous post. I get what you are saying. I just did a rear main on an X3 today. 5.6 Was pretty fair considering how long it took.
    Photobucket sucks!

Long live the E34!

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    +1

Believe me 02325, Eric was not doing his job right, at BoM. I get much more time here for warranty work. I can usually squeeze .7-.8 from a bulb under warranty if it's the only line on the ticket. .2 for DIS test, .4 for test plan, and .1-.2 depending which bulb. Every check engine light or warning light I start out with at least .6 for DIS test and at least one test plan. Then you can get another .3 if there's a second test plan, so sometimes you can start out with almost an hour before even touching the car. You know that never happened at BoM.

I know that now. talked to a tech about a year ago (eric had been goin 6 mth or so) and he said hr rate per ro was up .8. I knew eric was scared to claim anything. My warranty admin is 1 of our serv adv. and she claims everything she can.

Totally agree, a tech yearly wage is mainly based on how your warranty admin does their job. some are good and some are just idiots about it.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    1987 RX7 2+2
    The warranty admin I had was a previous tech; she was awesome. She would come out to find you if you had forgotten something in your story that you could/should be paid for.

Those are the warranty admins you want. **Hint Hint to perspective STEPpers** this is an enormously important question to ask during your center interview since you will be doing most, if not all, of the shitty warranty/maintenance work.
    Fast Track '09
    NJ S.T.E.P
    . 35 - the cake is a lie

What do you call a BMW on a flatbed?
    -Maintenance interval.

Zoom - Zoom
    Forever

My Cars
    EuroS50B30,e83,Frontier
    My exp.

Did my apprenticeship at a local independent euro specialty shop in Nanaimo, worked there for an extra year or so after my apprenticeship, was making $17 an hour on salary as a journeyman so I knew I had to move on.
    I applied at Nanaimo's local Mercedes dealer and got the job at $22 dollars flat-rate with no prior Mercedes training or dealer experience (or flat rate experience for that matter).

The company that owned the MB dealership also owns several dealerships in Victoria and all across Canada, including BMW in Victoria. They knew I was enthusiastic for the marque and offered me the job.
    I moved out of my home town for the first time in my life for this job and haven't looked back.

I am now making 23.50 flat rate for BMW and have only been with them for a year with no training other than 'Brand Academy'. I suppose my location must be pretty good for work (and it is a smaller dealer at only 9 technicians) as I am consistently rolling in 130+ hour pay periods.

+1

Our warranty administrator is definatly doing something wrong if this is the case... For a bulb I would be lucky to see 3 fru. I would get .1 for a DIS, .1 for the test plan and .1 for the bulb (unless this is a e53 headlight bulb ).
    I have to work my ass off to make what I make, I would love to make the same sort of warranty pay as you sound like your rolling in!
    "There are bold drivers and there are old drivers, but there are no bold, old drivers."

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey Milne View Post
    Our warranty administrator is definatly doing something wrong if this is the case... For a bulb I would be lucky to see 3 fru. I would get .1 for a DIS, .1 for the test plan and .1 for the bulb (unless this is a e53 headlight bulb ).
    I have to work my ass off to make what I make, I would love to make the same sort of warranty pay as you sound like your rolling in!
    Yeah, that's definately wrong. Now you have to have the correct punch times to back it up. First run .2. That's the DIS test. Every DIS test is .2. Second run a solid block of .4. Must be exactly .4 or more because it's a work time. The first test plan can get .4. The second test plan (like for another line or complaint, or subsequent test plan) can get .3. Then the actual repair. So if claimed properly, a bulb should be .2 + .4 + whatever the bulb is, like .1 or .2. But you gotta have good stories, and punch times to match. This would be my exact story for a bulb: "Performed DIS test. Fault stored for brake light bulb. Performed test plan B63**_*****. WT for test plan. Found brake light bulb inop on left, replaced left brake light bulb". And I would get .7 or .8 for it. But obviously you have to actually do the DIS test and test plan because BMW will look for it in the FASTA data.

My Cars
    2013 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecRaceM5 View Post
    It's all about finding the right dealership. That may not be as easy as it sounds though. I started at $24/hr flat rate right out of STEP. Struggled for a while. Basically same story as everyone has been telling. It has gotten better for me though and I know people who are happy as BMW technicians. I know a lot of people who are not happy too. I have personally seen techs pull 6 figure incomes but it may not be common everywhere in the country. It is what you make of it.
    1000% Agree. It starts with the right dealership/region. I graduated STEP at $19hr, was at a BMW dealer in South FL for a year, in that time I went up to $20. I was still a bit of a rookie but with hard work I made 50-60 hrs a week. The hours stayed the same, but my time being physically in the dealership decreased, so my efficiency was going up. It got slow almost 4 months out of the year and that was no bueno. So I learned that I needed to be in a place that was busy all year round or close to it and applied at a dealer with that reputation after a year at my first dealer. At my next dealer I made about 65 hours a week M-F, working 7 til about 6pm at the new dealer at 20/hr. I started to work weekends and that number went up by 10hrs. I got better, got stronger with my diagnostics thanks to the TERRIBLE shop foremen a the new dealer, not very helpful. Grumpy in fact. But it made me a better tech. I started to produce 80 hrs a week, and with some good CP upsold...100 hrs some weeks. I felt valuable to the company and I wanted $25/hr so I asked for it. $5 more an hour invested in a 350-400 hr a month tech with all his training and ASEs, I felt was a good investment. I was also a LVL 1 thanks to STEP. So it got approved. This place offered a Saturday Bonus of $1 hr, and a production bonus of $2 an hour. ANd a CSI bonus based on your production. So realistically, I was making $29/hr and flagging 350-400 hrs a month. I was bringing home $9.5-11k a month. Mind you, I graduated STEP 1 year and 8 months ago at this time and given a part time Team Leader slot. Try starting off doing oil changes and making that in 1 year and 8 months later. I got an oppurtunity with exotics...said id give it shot because it must be better, more money, better warranty pay, very busy with exotics in Miami...WRONG! You'd have to wrap up a damn Ferrari 458 in so much tape before you leaned over it, and put fender covers on it, to replace a part that pays 0.2! I worked there 6 months at $27/hr...left back to BMW and got rehired at $28/hr. We all make mistakes, but im back now to stay, and have a deeper appreciation for the brand and looking to track over 6 figures again.
    Last edited by TJMax; 08-14-2012 at 10:37 AM.
    ASE Master Certified Technician
    S.T.E.P. NJ 34 @ Woodcliff Lake, NJ
    09' Triumph Daytona 675
    97' 3.5L Supercharged Maxima

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast