Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Meet Hans, 1 of 1 '95 540i/6, "Mauritiusblau Metallic"

My Cars
    E92 M3, 970TT
    Damn that looks good. Love the turbines.
    991 | 964 | G55 | D90 | LX570 |

Past: SC'd e34 540/6, CSL'd E46 M3, E36 M3/4/5, E36 M3 turbo, E36 M3, 335D, Porsche 951, 80 Series LC, Kleeman E55 Wagon, LX470, 970 Panamera TT, E92 M3

My Cars
    ///M5
    It's so vibrant!
    Current
    2005 E55 AMG
    1998 Silverado K1500
    1964 Impala
    ​1964 Chevelle 496ci

Past

2000 Avus M5
    1988 Suburban K1500
    1987 Suburban K2500
    2007 Suburban
    1999 K2500 Suburban
    2000 MGM
    1999 K2500 Suburban
    2001 Stratus 740i Msport
    1990 750iL
    1995 540i/6
    1996 MGM

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    Wes, it's Dylan! So clean brother, I heart Hans.

My Cars
    '95 6spd 540
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
    Looks great man but I would have let the paint settle a but more before washing it. Don't wax it for at least a month or so.
    Thanks man, I was thinking that.. Which is why I used the only spray soap and water method- touch less wash. I didn't rub or anything. Just needed to clean off the car it was filthy.

And to Fox, thanks I totally did notice that. It's gonna get a nice treatment real soon!
    - Hans - Mauritiusblau Metallic - Ultimate Klasse - Progress Thread: LINK

My Cars
    540i6, 540iA, RX7, RdBlk
    Quote Originally Posted by staystackin View Post
    And to Fox, thanks I totally did notice that. It's gonna get a nice treatment real soon!
    Cool. I'm getting one of these soon (hopefully), and I look forward to making some pretty with it. Though from what I've read you should change out the pads that package some with for a couple stardard pads, like a regular orange and a white or black. I have a nice little cart going, I just need the $$$ to press 'buy'. Meguiars polishes look pretty nice too...

Fox

My Cars
    '95 6spd 540
    Replaced a foglight back, the bulb seemed fine but must have been blowing it due to the back of it having the wire covers cracking off. Installed new one when I put the fogs back in and still doesn't work. Going to try a new bulb. It couldn't be the fuse, because both fogs run off the same fuse- correct?

Also... Replaced the resistor for the blower motor because I was only getting anything on speeds 2 and 4. Still the same :/ ... if my car has a 09/94 build date do I have the sword too? I hear that signs of a bad blower motor are squealing or squeaking... I hear some noise when I click it to fan speed 1, sortof a click sound. kinda slow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dvacc20 View Post
    Wes, it's Dylan! So clean brother, I heart Hans.
    !! Thanks man. We gotta get together for a photoshoot one of these days.

My Cars
    E34 540i, E39 M5
    Sweeeeeeet
    '95 540i - Cosmos on Black
    '01 M5 - TiAg

My Cars
    '95 6spd 540
    So I have a few questions... Hit the 150k mark recently. Changed my transmission fluid too.

I'm getting (after an alignment) a shimmy at around 50-55 mph, classic e34. I looked underneath, didn't see any control arm bushings that seemed shot. I'm thinking maybe a wheel is out of balance, or that a tire which was wearing one way and after the alignment sits differently, is causing this.

ALSO. I have a noise from my front left wheel. It sounds like the pad is constantly rubbing the rotor? It's hard to describe. I took off the wheel and caliper just before, cleaned the brake dust build up out of the channel in the brake pads, then spun the rotor and still heard this noise.... I took the rotor off, spun the hub... still hear the noise. I'm thinking wheel bearing? I don't have a classic hum when the car is rolling. At low speeds I hear this noise, and when I take right turns slowly (on to my street for example) I hear a different sounding noise, sort of like when I had a bad wheel bearing.

Could this be a combination of a few things? I took a test ride with a mechanic from the shop I got the alignment at, he said the things I described sounded like wheel bearing. But when He and I drove it, the sound sounded brake related. I'm going to set up an appointment with them for further diagnosis, but any input would be appreciated.

Another thought I had was, maybe the caliper is having issues and the brakes need to be bled or something? Maybe its rubbing, and the wheel bearing is STARTING to go - at the same time?

Thanks,

-Wes

- - - Updated - - -

here are some videos i took this morning when under the car, helps explain what i'm talking about.

My Cars
    '95 6spd 540
    Well, I ordered a new wheel bearing and plan on DIYing that. I sort of think that the wheel bearing is bad in addition to a braking issue. After I replace the bearing I will reasses the noises and then maybe try bleeding the system, maybe having the rotors turned, and my tires switched. (I'm thinking after the alignment they had been wearing differently and are now out of whack somehow).

My Cars
    E46 M3
    Make sure you order a new axle nut.

My Cars
    '95 6spd 540
    Thanks pat, I did. I also ordered the rear dust shield that realOEM shows because I can see myself bending that and a new one is only 5 dollars.

My Cars
    E34 520
    Oh my god! The m-sport bumpers was a total makover! Love the m-turbines!

My Cars
    2002 BMW Streetcarver,
    Jealous of your color.

My Cars
    '95 6spd 540
    151,XXX Miles.

Replaced my driver's front wheel bearing the other day. Bought the 1-13/16" socket, 3/4 drive 8 inch extension, and 3/4drive sliding t-bar all from Sears Hardware. Wheel bearing was replaced with a FAG part as research yielded positive results. I bought a new rear dustshield and collar nut as well. I removed the hub nut, and tapped the bearing off with a hammer from behind. The inner race stayed on, so I took a drive to Advanced Auto to take a puller on loan. Paid 100 up front, and received the money back when I returned the tool an hour or so later. Not a bad program!

To get the new one on I lined it up and tapped it on holding a block of wood between the hammer and it. I then tighted the collar nut to finalize it. dropped the car, stood on the t-bar and tightened it a bit more. The recommended torque is over 200 ft lbs, I weight 170ish and lurched on it. Then I staked the collar nut, raised it, removed the wheel to reinstall the dust cap and was all set. Not a hard job at all.

- Oil change today as well. As prepped as I'm getting for the 'fest this year! I'll clean the car inside and out as well, but for now - Family Vacation to Wildwood NJ. Not taking the e34 though.

And I bought the parts for the volvo e-fan conversion Gonna buy AndrewH's mishimoto soon enough and do that swap along with replacing my bent radiator support (already have the new one).

-Wes
    Last edited by staystackin; 07-12-2013 at 09:28 PM.

My Cars
    '95 6spd 540

iPhone rolling shot of Hans

My Cars
    95 540i/6 07 cibic si
    Car looks great! I'm starting to like the turbines.. so unassuming. Did you sort out the noise at the hub? From the vid you posted it sounds like the dust shield could have been making that scraping noise.

My Cars
    are fun!
    Wow, the color is beautiful and your build is coming along nicely.

Cheers,

Jim
    1990 M3
    1995 E34 540/6
    1992 525it

My Cars
    1995 540ia M-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by thatonedood View Post
    Car looks great! I'm starting to like the turbines.. so unassuming. Did you sort out the noise at the hub? From the vid you posted it sounds like the dust shield could have been making that scraping noise.
    I thought the same thing....

My Cars
    ALPINA B10 BITURBO
    Great car,,, just a tiny to low IMO,, specially at the front

nice to own an individual car
    Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO V12 M70B50 ///
    ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507
    ULTIMA Evolution
    Contacts
    http://alpina.123.is/pictures/

My Cars
    '95 6spd 540
    Quote Originally Posted by thatonedood View Post
    Thanks, when I have all 9inch turbines the whole world will be jealous....

I did replace the bearing/hub. Nothing was rubbing. However I think there's still an issue and I think it's brake related. It will have to wait till after the fest as I'm away this week leading up to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by IronmanE30 View Post
    Wow, the color is beautiful and your build is coming along nicely.

Cheers,

Jim
    Thanks Jim, as is yours! I draw my inspiration from the other build threads here, I admire your work.

Quote Originally Posted by M540fella View Post
    I thought the same thing....
    See above, nothin was rubbing
    Quote Originally Posted by B10 BITURBO View Post
    Great car,,, just a tiny to low IMO,, specially at the front

nice to own an individual car
    Thanks, I like em low. I almost want to go lower but at my current height I can still go about my business. No rubbing, whatsoever. I do need two by fours to get the car on jack stands - too low for my jack haha.

And I think the individual is a gift and a curse. I feel I owe certain things to the car. And I feel there are things I can never do to it. But all in all, I love it. The color in the sunlight makes me tingly inside.

-Wes

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    My favorite 540i on the forum, such a beautiful car.

My Cars
    e30 328i/e34 540i
    Killing it, I agree with this guy ^^ other then mine, favorite car on here.
    1995 540i/6 Calypso/Parchment
    1991 328i/5 Granite Silver/Crimson M52/ZF

540i/6 Facebook Group
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/255094164524598/

My Cars
    1991 535I e34
    I'm in love.

/That is all

My Cars
    1995 540ia M-sport
    Yep that color is the bees knees. I personally liked the t-stars but looks great none the less.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

My Cars
    '95 6spd 540
    Update: The price of being a lowlife.

As my e34 is my only car, I was driving it home from an early lunch with my girlfriend today and decided to take a way I don't usually just to be driving around on a sunday. I was going up hill in my town, dodging potholes and the usual when a manhole cover came up that had been paved around it, and looked flat to me. Proceded to drive over it, and there was a dip directly at the rear of it that I didn't notice when I first decided I'd have no problem here. Wrong. Huge smack, hazard lights turned on by themselves and my interior lights did as well. No lights on the dash. I immediately pulled over, looked in the rear view and didn't see any oil, then pulled 25 feet forward and made a left to park on a side street mildly uphill. I get out, lay on the ground to look under for the inevitable at this point, and see oil spilling out. Horrible feeling. I let my car down, lowered it and didn't avoid the road hazard properly. Well, apparently I was pretty damn upset *i.e, laying on the ground after realizing it was a busted oil pan* so a neighbor came out to see if we were hurt, LOL. I just called my brother to come bring me a 17mm socket so I could remove the bumper, and then triple a for the free tow home with my plus membership. Up to 100 miles free. This was in my town. Tow truck driver was a real cool dude about this, younger guy, liked the car. Kept telling me to get a skid plate. He also had inner foam of a cars bumper to use as ramps to get the car on the trailer, worked beautifully.

Here are some photos of this incident. I'm currently searching for a used lower pan to replace mine. I have one week left off of before I return to work on monday, always on some sort of deadline with fixes... I should be fine though if I find a pan nice and quick.

instagrammed, easier to see the crack here.

-Wes

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast