Thread: Window Weirdness When Rolling To Top - FIXED!!

My Cars
    2006 325i

Window Weirdness When Rolling To Top - FIXED!!

Vehicle
    2006 325i (E90)

Backstory:

I was driving on the highway and was rolling my rear-right window up when I heard a loud "POP". Cable on the window regulator snapped. I had the regulator replaced but my window started going mad afterwards... When rolling the window all the way to the top, it would automatically roll itself down half way.

Solution:

1. Put key in, no need to start car.
    2. Roll window all the way down, let go of button.
    3. Hold window button DOWN for 20seconds. This resets the window in the down position. Now you must reset the window in the up position.
    4. Roll window up. Do NOT panic if window doesn't go all the way up. Mine would only go up about 3inches. Then I would hold the up button again and it would only go up another 3inches or so. Keep doing this until the window is all the way in the up position as the window has not been reset in the up position yet. Let go of button.
    5. Hold windown button UP for 20 seconds. This resets the window in the up position.
    6. Go grab a beer because you just reset your window.

Good Luck,
    Steve

My Cars
    2008 550i
    Thanks Steve, good info

My Cars
    2007 BMW 335i (E93)
    Does this work on a 335i (E93) as well?

For some reason, any time I use either the "all up" button or the convertible top button to roll all the windows up, the driver's side goes all the way up, then 1/2 way back down.

thanks,
    Andrew

My Cars
    2006 325i
    Andrew, sounds exactly what my car was doing. Go through the steps to reset it.

Good luck

My Cars
    2006 BMW 325i
    This worked for my left rear window but I tried same exact process on my right rear window and it is not working?! Any ideas?

My Cars
    2006 325i
    Sorry bud, not sure why I wouldn't work... Update?

My Cars
    1990 BMW coupe
    The problem is that the rear windows contact the front windows and "anti-trap". The windows are sensing the front windows are an obstruction and going down. Its programming. Has to do with your junction box or JBE. Depends on what version you have what the solution is.

My Cars
    E36 M3/E36 Vert/ E90 N52
    I just had a call from a friend thats a couple hours away about this problem. This solved the problem!

My Cars
    00 540i, 10 335i, 20 M3P
    This is very interesting. I never knew you could reset the windows that way. Thanks for the information!

My Cars
    2006 BMW 325i

Excellent Thread

This is an excellent thread my friend and it certainly helped me. I have watched youtube videos and read a bunch of threads on replacing window regulators, but none of them had this much-needed step in them. Thank you for sharing this valuable information.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 325i

Auto up but goes back down and stops half way

I tried to reset my window. I did the 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 20 seconds, and even the 30 seconds held down after I let it down. However, when I try to do the up reset it will not reset. Even if I try to gradually allow it by pressing up slowly so that it will go close to closing, then I let go and hold for those prescribed times it still won't reset......please help!

UOTE=killspray;22653430]Vehicle
    2006 325i (E90)

Backstory:

I was driving on the highway and was rolling my rear-right window up when I heard a loud "POP". Cable on the window regulator snapped. I had the regulator replaced but my window started going mad afterwards... When rolling the window all the way to the top, it would automatically roll itself down half way.

Solution:

3. Hold window button DOWN for 20seconds. This resets the window in the down position. Now you must reset the window in the up position.
    4. Roll window up. Do NOT panic if window doesn't go all the way up. Mine would only go up about 3inches. Then I would hold the up button again and it would only go up another 3inches or so. Keep doing this until the window is all the way in the up position as the window has not been reset in the up position yet. Let go of button.
    5. Hold windown button UP for 20 seconds. This resets the window in the up position.

Good Luck,
    Steve[/QUOTE]

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325i

Rear window won't reset.

I have the same problem and tried to reset the up position but didn't work. My issue is, I follow the instructions for resetting the up position, but as soon as the window reaches the very top it goes back down half way. So it is impossible to reach the top position then hold the button up as prescribed because it immediately goes back down. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by sarahsmiles View Post
    I tried to reset my window. I did the 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 20 seconds, and even the 30 seconds held down after I let it down. However, when I try to do the up reset it will not reset. Even if I try to gradually allow it by pressing up slowly so that it will go close to closing, then I let go and hold for those prescribed times it still won't reset......please help!

UOTE=killspray;22653430]Vehicle
    2006 325i (E90)

Backstory:

Solution:

Good Luck,
    Steve
    [/QUOTE]

My Cars
    318i vert
    i tried and it didn't work, but then redid and removed key, then it worked perfectly. Thanks for information

My Cars
    2008 BMW 328i sedan
    Nice. Much appreciated. Very useful.~_~

My Cars
    BMW 325xi 2006
    (2006 325XI) Guy's will this work for the Sunroof, also? Occasionally, it takes my sunroof 3-4 tries before it will close. Yes, I have checked if there is anything in the tracks... CLEAN

My Cars
    2004 530i
    My driver back window kept going back down by itself after I roll it all the way up. Found this thread and did the reset as instructed in the first post and it worked!

Confirmed to work on 2004 530i

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 Roadster

2007 bmw 328i E90

Quote Originally Posted by bcpzx3 View Post
    My driver back window kept going back down by itself after I roll it all the way up. Found this thread and did the reset as instructed in the first post and it worked!

Confirmed to work on 2004 530i
    I tried this procedure for reprogramming the window regulator on my bmw 328i, right rear window, and I cannot get it to work. As soon as I manage to get the window all the way to the top by going about 1/2 inch at a time, then when I begin to hold the switch in the up position for the 20 seconds, the window immediately goes back to the half open position. I have tried removing the ignition switch after placing the window in the full UP position, but that did not help. Can you have a bad window motor, that will not accept reprogramming? I do not know where to go from here.

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    Usually if this procedure doesn't work it is because your window motor is shot of so gunked up the resistance is more than the motor can handle. By the way the programming procedure has been the same for BMWs as far back as the E30's for the 3 series and that is a long time 1986...
    BMWCCA 149159

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 Roadster
    The window motor looks like new, but obviously the electronics could be faulty. The motor is not dirty, gummed up, or obvious water damage. The window works perfectly in the "down" position, but always goes to the half open position any time it goes to the top. There are no "trap" warning symbols displayed.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 325i

Cool E90 rear window always goes back to half open. Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by hnshipman View Post
    I tried this procedure for reprogramming the window regulator on my bmw 328i, right rear window, and I cannot get it to work. As soon as I manage to get the window all the way to the top by going about 1/2 inch at a time, then when I begin to hold the switch in the up position for the 20 seconds, the window immediately goes back to the half open position. I have tried removing the ignition switch after placing the window in the full UP position, but that did not help. Can you have a bad window motor, that will not accept reprogramming? I do not know where to go from here.

Mine is 2006 325i. Had the exact same issue on the right rear window after the regulator replacemt. This is the fix

1. Put the key fob.
    2. make sure all others widows and doors are closed[not sure does it really matter but just in case ]
    3. Now you have to work on the window switch which has to be programmed not from the driver side switch

3. Press and hold till the wilndow goes all the way down. Then get off the switch.
    4. Now press and hold the switch in down position for 30 seconds at the end you will see yellow color window error in the dash board. Stop now [for me I got that error ]

5. Now pull the window all the way up it may come by by 3 inch at a time keep pulling it until it reach all the way up and fit properly.
    6 get off from the switch and wat three seconds
    7 Now presss and hold the window switch in up position for 30 seconds [there won't be any error this time ]

8. That it just test whether it is working or not by pressing up and down.

9.thats it

My Cars
    91 318i / 07 328i

Does this work for Automatic (one click to roll all the way up or down) Windows?

Quote Originally Posted by gopakumars View Post
    Mine is 2006 325i. Had the exact same issue on the right rear window after the regulator replacemt. This is the fix

1. Put the key fob.
    2. make sure all others widows and doors are closed[not sure does it really matter but just in case ]
    3. Now you have to work on the window switch which has to be programmed not from the driver side switch

3. Press and hold till the wilndow goes all the way down. Then get off the switch.
    4. Now press and hold the switch in down position for 30 seconds at the end you will see yellow color window error in the dash board. Stop now [for me I got that error ]

5. Now pull the window all the way up it may come by by 3 inch at a time keep pulling it until it reach all the way up and fit properly.
    7 Now presss and hold the window switch in up position for 30 seconds [there won't be any error this time ]

9.thats it
    Per the Title, my windows have that automatic function where you click the button once and they will roll all the way up or down. Mechanic, after installing new regulator, said he'd have to charge me an extra $100 to hook it up to a program in order to fix it.

'07 328i sedan. It's the passenger side rear window. Wondering if they are full of crap and trying to skim me for an extra Benjamin. Thanks for your help.

My Cars
    07 335i
    Thanks this was really helpful 👍🏽

My Cars
    2008 BMW 335i

Thumbs up This is the one worked for me

Quote Originally Posted by gopakumars View Post

1. Put the key fob.

9.thats it

Thanks

My Cars
    E30 M3
    One thing of note is that may not appear obvious to everyone is that you need to use the direct window switch for the window that you are trying to relearn. Using the master switch does not work for probably any window except the driver front window.

My Cars
    2012 328xi Sports Wagon
    Excellent post !

For my E91 2012 328xi wagon, it didn’t work. So, I made one change to the above steps.

Put the key into the ignition, don’t start the car. Then I removed the key fob. Following the above process and it worked! Thank you! Wish I could 1 day understand how BMW logic works.

Oh, I never heard the pop. Never replaced the window regulator