Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: E36 OBC's programming and coding functions (SECRET OBC PROGRAMMING FUNCTIONS)

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by kxl77 View Post
    There could be some sort of security mechanism of the car that I'm not aware of. Perhaps some type of immobilizer has been activated therefore requiring the use of the OBC to unlock this immobilizer. Gotta try everything before I give up.
    True.

But when you take the OBC out, the immobilizer funtion is useless.

So if you want to make sure...take it out and see.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    1998 332 is
    Quote Originally Posted by kxl77 View Post
    Just did an engine swap and the car is getting no spark or fuel, does this have anything to do with it?"
    I would say that has something to do with the EWS system......

My Cars
    1993 325is, 1986 325es, 1999 M3
    Hey guys, this works on my 99 M3.. except i cant tell if I unlocked the functions or not.. the whole day+month idea.. Goes to #19 func., then you're supposed to enter that magic number.. so today its.. 18, correct? nothing happens.. shouldnt it say Lock off or something?

My Cars
    1997 318is (M44) 1.9L
    under test 11, if you enter '71' you will get the AM/PM clock. if you enter '72' you will get the 24 hour clock. anyone got any more of these code

My Cars
    BMW & Lotus
    Maybe I missed it somewhere but, is there any way to make it display the info on these hidden menus in english units instead of SI? Mph means a lot more to me than km/h. Cool trick though!
    '14 Evora S - Chrome Orange/Ebony
    '02 M5 - Carbon Black/Silverstone
    '15 M235i xDrive - Mineral Grey/Black

My Cars
    1996 328i 4Dr Sedan White
    Maybe someone can answer this. Why does my Computer Module not do the same as listed from the other Control Modules I have found online.

This is what I get:
    And YES, I understand what most of it means and to display some I have to his (SET/RES).

Function ->
    00 Test MFD Lights (It beeps 3 times)

01 Change Speech
    0 DT.
    1 ENGL.
    2 FRANZ.
    3 ITAL.
    4 SPAN.
    5 AMERICAN

02 Clock
    00 24 Hour
    01 12 Hour

03 Datum
    00 tt.mm
    01 mm.tt

04 Temp
    0 C
    1 F

05 Quarz: - 001d

06 Status
    000000a Gear in D
    000000b Key in Pos 3
    000000c
    000000d
    000000e
    000000f Start Car (Displays after 000000b)
    0000001 Key in
    0000002 All On
    0000003 Key in Pos 2
    000100a Gear in R / Braking
    000200a Gear in R / Decelerating
    000300a Gear in D / Braking
    000400a Gear in D / Decelerating

07 Nothing (Just One Beep)
    08 Same
    09 " "
    13 " "
    08 - 13 do nothing at all and continues, I stopped at Entry 22.
    I do not get test 19 or any such thing.
    The instrument Cluster gives me:
    01 BMW Part#............364438
    02 Code No. Nothing
    03 K No.....................7504
    04Last 5 Digit VIN.......37508
    05 Software Version#..200
    06 Revision Index#......88
    The AC option does what I have found listed online from Temp Sensor to Software version 37

Any ideas??????
    1996 328iA-4 4DR SEDAN Alpine White \ Black (300/0) E36 M52
    01-09-2016: 195,600 Miles

2007 328iA-4 4DR SEDAN Alpine White \ Grey 10/2006 E90 N52N
    01-09-2016: 158,600 Miles

2007 530i 4DR SEDAN (N52B30A) Silver \ Grey Metallic 05/2006 E60 N52
    01-09-2016: 158,230 Miles

My Cars
    325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    I can't get the gauge cluster tricks to work. Like it will display the 6 things and do the gauge test, but how do I get it to do the other things like display rpm?
    bump on this one! i just can't figure out the way how to do it...
    consumption is like 5,1l/100km on my 325i so i'm guessing i have to change the thing in testsequence02 to 4-cylinder engine

Quote Originally Posted by 98dinan3 View Post
    anyone been able to do anything with the horn? All I can get mine to do is flash DTON. I can't figure out how to change it....
    i pressed 10 or 1 and then it switched between ITON and DTON. DTON is dualtone perhaps, but dunno what's ITON
    Quote Originally Posted by BimerTunerz View Post
    Hey guys, this works on my 99 M3.. except i cant tell if I unlocked the functions or not.. the whole day+month idea.. Goes to #19 func., then you're supposed to enter that magic number.. so today its.. 18, correct? nothing happens.. shouldnt it say Lock off or something?
    you have to enter the month+date! if it's 12th of october, it means 10 (as october) and 12 (as the date). 10+12=22! you have to set the right date first, because the obc reads the date out of itself.

My Cars
    Bmw
    Ok guys when i press 1000 and 10 its says "Funktion" and when i sum the date and enter it it just goes off and now even when i press check nothing happens it stays off, i can get the first 4 or 5 functions but thats it, is it still locked??

My Cars
    325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Singe View Post
    Ok guys when i press 1000 and 10 its says "Funktion" and when i sum the date and enter it it just goes off and now even when i press check nothing happens it stays off, i can get the first 4 or 5 functions but thats it, is it still locked??
    you don't have an 18button obc!

My Cars
    2001 330i
    TEMP (A-TEMP)
    Outside temperature

Displays the outside temperature after pressing the TEMP (A-TEMP) button. If it falls below +3�C, a gong signal is heard as a warning; the outside temperature is displayed and flashes for eight seconds.
    The warning is repeated if the temperature rises to at least +6�C and then drops again to +3�C.

RANGE (REICHW)
    Probable range

This display indicates after pressing the RANGE (REICHW) button how far the car can probably be driven on the fuel remaining in the tank. The value takes into account the way in which the car has so far been driven. A plus sign (+) in front of the displayed value means that it is still undergoing a correction process (measuring tolerance).
    If three horizontal display segments flash, the range is below 15km and the car should be refuelled as soon as possible.
    The on-board computer registers fuel added to the tank only when the engine has been stopped and the quantity of fuel exceeds four litres.

SPEED (GESCHW)
    Average speed

Shows the average speed since the last reset. To display press the SPEED (GESCHW) button.

To reset the calculation press SET/RES. The on-board computer doesn’t include the time the car is standing with the engine off in its calculation.

CONSUM (VERBR)
    Average fuel consumption

Average fuel consumption can be computed for two distances in parallel. Each time the button CONSUM (VERBR) is pressed, the display alternates between the average consumptions for distances one and two. There is also an indication of whether distance one or two is being displayed.

To reset the calculation press SET/RES.

DIST (DISTANZ)
    Distance from destination

After pressing the DIST (DISTANZ) button the display shows how far the car is from the destination, provided the total distance was input before the journey started.
    The probable time of arrival, which is recalculated continually as driving conditions change, is also displayed.
    If the car has already completed the full distance which was input, the distance value is preceded by a minus sign (-).

LIMIT Speed limit

If you exceed a speed limit which you have previously input, you will hear a warning gong. The corresponding LED flashes and the display shows the stored limit briefly. The warning is repeated if the speed limit is again exceeded after the car’s speed has in the meantime dropped by at least 5 km/h below the entered value.
    To cancel the speed limit input press the LIMIT button again. The LED goes out but the stored value is not lost and can be re-activated with the Limit button.
    To adopt the car’s actual speed as the limit value press the LIMIT and then the SET/RES button.

km/mls
    Display units changeover
    Press the km/mls button to switch display units between km/h and mph or litres per 100km and mpg and back.

CODE Immobilizing vehicle

A 4-digit number can be entered with the "CODE" key in ignition switch position 1. The engine hood and radio contact is monitored when the vehicle is parked with CODE armed. The engine cannot be started until the same code number is entered again in the BC to disarm the system. Depending on the selected function, the small display shows either the date or the time. Date and time can be displayed for 8 seconds by pressing the key in ignition lock position "0".

CHECK Check control faults

A display test is performed if there are no check-control faults and the "CHECK" key is pressed for at least 10 seconds. The test appears immediately after pressing the "CHECK" key in ignition switch position 1 or when no check-control is coded in the BC V.

MEMO Arbitrary reminder

An hour signal and/or any arbitrary reminder time can be programmed or checked with the "MEMO" key:

After pressing the "MEMO" for 3 seconds enter "MEMO" appears in the large display, ":00" appears in the small display.

After entering any time (minutes) with the digit keys "1" and "10" and acknowledging with the "SET/RES" key, the hour signal then sounds 15 seconds before each full hour plus the set time in minutes.

Gong time = Full hour plus input time in minutes minus 15 seconds.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

My Cars
    BMW E36 320I 1994
    Hi - would this work for 1994 e36 320I?

My Cars
    1997 E36 328i Coupe

Unlocked E36 OBC "Asterisk *"

Hi,

Any ideas why an asterisk appears after the language is changed?
    My computers default language was GB but after changing it an asterisk (*) has appeared & remains, even whet set back to default..

What does this mean? It's doing my noggin in!

My Cars
    94 M3 Euro Spec
    does anyone have a guide for OBC's that read 'Funktion' when 10 and 1000 are pressed

My Cars
    E34 M5, E91 328i, FZJ80
    Here is some more cool info.

The BMW E36 digital climate control unit has a feature that allows different sensor values to be displayed on the control panel. The display mode is called up by pressing the "AUTO" and "REAR DEFOGGER" buttons simultaneously. 12 displays are available and you can toggle through them by pressing the fan rocker switch.

Test number
    Function
    Test 1
    Interior Temp Sensor
    Test 2
    Exterior Temp sensor
    Test 3
    Left Heater Core Sensor
    Test 4
    Right Heater Core Sensor
    Test 5
    Evaporator Temp Sensor
    Test 6
    Engine Speed Input
    Test 7
    Road Speed Input
    Test 8
    "Y" Factor Value . . . Anyone knows what is this?
    Test 9
    Fresh Air Flap Position in % (99.5% Max.)
    Test 10
    AUC Sensor Voltage (if equipped)
    Test 11
    Battery Voltage
    Test 12
    Software Version
    The sensor display functions are exited by pressing "RECIRC" and "AUTO" buttons simultaneously and also by turning the ignition off. The decimal point is not shown therefore 66.5% would show as 665 All temp displays are in degrees centigrade. Negative values are indicated with minus sign
    Instagram @Restoration_Motorsport
    www.RestorationMotorsport.com
    -Nick

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

My Cars
    2/91 Build NVM50
    I was just thinking about this thread earlier as I fiddled with my OBC at the Taco Bell drive thru.

My Cars
    e28, e30, e36
    thanks for sharing. I guess this makes my VDO volt gauge useless. I can put some other gauge in there now. Cool.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530

Unhappy Problem with language.

Hi,
    I haw enter the OBC in number 19 and now is unlocked.
    I haw problem with number 10 which is for the language.
    on mine is 00 D, and everything is on German.
    When I enter the 10 number it is not possible for me to change anything. I press button 10 and 1000 but with button 10 nothing happened and with 1000 just go to the test 11.
    Please help I haw everything on the German now and I don't understand nothing.
    So I menage to unlock on 19 it said ''ON''.
    But test 10 is problem.

My Cars
    1995 325i saloon
    is there an operators instruction manual for this obc? i own a 95 325 with the 18 button unit, and i would like to know all the functions and how it works. also my clock is totally dark. is it bad or just a bulb?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323IS
    Its a shame the OBC does not have the capability to continually re-sample data, if it did you wouldnt have to press the reset button to get speed and consumption...it would continually update. I guess there was not sufficient computing power in a system designed around 1990 (my guess to the design date)
    A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by reycycle70 View Post
    is there an operators instruction manual for this obc? i own a 95 325 with the 18 button unit, and i would like to know all the functions and how it works. also my clock is totally dark. is it bad or just a bulb?
    Just the bulb. The owners handbook will contain a description of how the OBC works, and the first post in this thread shows all the secret extras.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
    Its a shame the OBC does not have the capability to continually re-sample data, if it did you wouldnt have to press the reset button to get speed and consumption...it would continually update. I guess there was not sufficient computing power in a system designed around 1990 (my guess to the design date)
    You have speed and instant consumption in the dash cluster

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
    Unless the OBC has some unbelievably inefficient programming, there were plenty of processor cycles back then to show less averaged values. It's just how they wrote the specification and code

--- MORE MATERIAL --- MORE MATERIAL --- MORE MATERIAL --- MORE MATERIAL --- MORE MATERIAL --- MORE MATERIAL ---

Quote Originally Posted by reycycle70 View Post
    is there an operators instruction manual for this obc? i own a 95 325 with the 18 button unit, and i would like to know all the functions and how it works....
    For your enlightenment and amusement, here's a bitmapped PDF (not mine) of the E36 OBC section in the European E36 owner's manual. It includes the park/auxiliary ventilation feature not covered in the U.S. manual.
    Last edited by johnf; 12-01-2011 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Single Posts -- Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

My Cars
    1995 325i saloon
    Quote Originally Posted by Joylove View Post
    Just the bulb. The owners handbook will contain a description of how the OBC works, and the first post in this thread shows all the secret extras.

i wish i had the owners handbook. the 1995 e-36 manual is like a unicorn. if anyone has one they can scan and send me pd file would appreciate it.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323IS
    Quote Originally Posted by Joylove View Post

Oh I know , but it would be quite nice if it updated it's self automatically instead of having to press the reset.......and it would make more sense ....imagine if your windshield wipers didn't return to home automatically
    A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    But that's not how those functions are meant to be used, and therefore incorrect. Further, your requirement wasn't in the specification and would be an impermissible (and unsettling) variance.

Needless to say, I exaggerate tremendously to convey the possible and much milder thinking behind the OBC.
    Last edited by johnf; 12-03-2011 at 12:28 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast