Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: E36 OBC's programming and coding functions (SECRET OBC PROGRAMMING FUNCTIONS)

My Cars
    1994 325i E36

Thumbs up E36 OBC's programming and coding functions (SECRET OBC PROGRAMMING FUNCTIONS)

Hey i took this out of the post that i wrote last night for someone on the forums who needed help with his OBC. and i was thinking that i should paste it here, for anyone else who might be interested in this... Hope you enjoy...

----

I dont know what series bimmer you have so im going to go ahead and show you the programming and coding functions for the newer E36 OBC's.
    USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

To determine if your OBC is eligible .. press 1000 and 10 together.
    you should see TEST NO . -- or something like that.
    Now, some of the functions are locked out -- I do NOT recommend messing with them and you do so at your own risk -- that said ...
    To unlock all functions .. press 1000 and 10 and at the TEST prompt enter 19 using the keys .. press SET/RES .. you should see LOCK:ON or something similar ... press the DATE key .. (today you'd see 01.24) and add the two numbers (day and month) together (today 24)

Now enter the number you just calculated and press SET/RES. TADA .. you have unlocked the secret functions ...

To lock them back up .. press 1000 and 10 then enter 19, SET/RES now press SET/RES again .. it should show .. LOCK:ON again

In general when I show a test enter it by pressing 1000 and 10 together then enter the number of the test with the numeric keys and press SET/RES to actually execute the test ...

Test numbers for E36 OBC
    Test no. Description
    1 Display Test .. all LCDs and LEDs activate
    2 Current Consumption in l/100km
    3 Current Consumption in l/hour
    4 Average Consumption (used to calc. Range)
    5 Current Range
    6 Not used ..
    7 Average Fuel in Tank (l)
    8 Current Speed (km/h)
    9 System Voltage at terminal R
    10 Country/Language
    11 Units/ AM.PM
    12 Average Speed (km/h) for calc. ETA
    13 ETA
    14 Date of software/mask of OBC
    15 Production Diagnosis (??)
    16 Production Diagnosis (??)
    17 Display Vehicle Specific Data
    18 Alarm Changeover (continuous v. intermittent)
    19 LOCK/UNLOCK all functions
    20 Correction Factor for OBC Fuel Consumption (SEE BELOW!)
    21 Reset all defect codes, date and time ... activate by pressing SET/RES

Note on test #20:
    The factor is used to correct the OBC Avg Fuel Consumption figure to reality. If your OBC is off a bit: fill UP totally, run tank down and refill; then calculate your Actual MPG. Now enter test 20 to get the old Correction Factor.

NEW CF= OLD CF *(OBC MPG/Actual MPG)
    Enter the NEW CF using the numeric keys and hit SET/RES to store. PLEASE record your OLD CF so that IF you screw up you can always go back to what it was.

Updates:

I have also found a deviation from the FAQ (which describes an E36 OBC) in the 'lock/unlock secret functions' of the E34 OBC:
    To unlock:

Press the DATE key, and add the day + month numbers
    Press 1000 and 10 simultaneoulsy, then use 10 and 1 keys to enter test 19
    Press S/R once. You will now see 0000LOCK or similar
    Use the 10 and 1 keys to enter the sum of day + month
    Press S/R -- secret functions are unlocked...
    Verify by entering test 19 again. Display should show FREE
    To lock:

Press 1000 and 10 simultaneoulsy, then use 10 and 1 keys to enter test 19
    Press S/R once. You will now see FREE or similar
    Press the little square button (F/C) to the left of display
    Verify by entering test 19 again. Display should be 0000LOCK.
    The procedure to show the version number also differs from the FAQ. On the E34 OBC, you need to press the 100 and 1 buttons simultaneously, to display the type/version

plus if its OBCII, try disconnecting the computer it self from its multi-pin connector and leaving it unhooked for 24hrs then once you re-connect the computer it should reset it and be up and running perfectly..

once you do that you might have to readapt the computer. Which is really easy: With the key in the "Radio" position (Radio and OBC light up, but not the instrument cluster), press the "CODE" button. Then push the little reset-hole with a Pen and hold it, 'till the computer blinks in the display, and it will ask you for a time and date entry. - You now have re-adapted the coding plug to the computer
    ----

-dp
    BMWRLD team RLD 2004

1994 325i E36 (M50TU B25 w/VANOS) DOHC-24v/L6

"Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance."
    --Sam Brown

My Cars
    BMW 850 and E55 AMG
    i love this sort of stuff, pity i haven't got the god damn thing fitted to my car.

Giftschrank Projekt

My Cars
    98 328i
    wow!
    Check out my all Organic clothing line: www.BonsaiApparel.com

My Cars
    1994 325i E36
    do i get a thanks at least? LOL

-dp
    BMWRLD team RLD 2004

--Sam Brown

My Cars
    1994 325i E36
    im just kidding..

w00t w00t~

"A computer is not a hindrance to creativity, but a vehicle for artistic expression"

-dp
    BMWRLD team RLD 2004

--Sam Brown

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I carry a copy of OBC tricks in my glove comp.
    Never know when I might need them.
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    1995 M3
    hey darkpo3t, I met you at a tustin meet a while back. I was driving a 1994 gray 325is. You were showing me that gauges trick again. haha tahts cool shit.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    2015 328xi, 1997 M3
    can you change the "time" at which your low fuel light goes off? It goes off when the range shows 50...can I change it to 20 or sumtin?

My Cars
    2013 328i xDrive
    Quote Originally Posted by myztikal47
    can you change the "time" at which your low fuel light goes off? It goes off when the range shows 50...can I change it to 20 or sumtin?
    No, it's tripped by the amount of gas in the tank, not your range. It goes on when you have about 2 gallons left in the tank.
    -Chris
    My e30 build thread/color change here

My Cars
    BMW E36 318is
    Good stuff, will have a go
    Maz

My Cars
    BMW E36 318is
    i noticed no one else has tried this and said it works?
    Maz

My Cars
    89 325ix, 85 eta
    it works for me, what i tried of the secret codes. I just wish there was a way to not have to enter in the secret part each time you want to access them. I'd like to have the system voltage be one of the main OBC options if you know what i mean....
    Hold on let me get my laptop and read this on the toilet.
    --DrDub

My Cars
    BMW E36 318is
    thats good to know
    Maz

My Cars
    97 z3
    all obc cars have this feature E 36 on these tests are meant for diag. help while out on the road. try playing with it see how you like it

My Cars
    1987 320i, 1993 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by darkpo3t
    once you do that you might have to readapt the computer. Which is really easy: With the key in the "Radio" position (Radio and OBC light up, but not the instrument cluster), press the "CODE" button. Then push the little reset-hole with a Pen and hold it, 'till the computer blinks in the display, and it will ask you for a time and date entry. - You now have re-adapted the coding plug to the computer
    hey darkpot, where is this small reset button ? i wasnt able to find it on my obc. it comes from a 1992 325i US spec and it displays crap on my 1993 320i EURO. i need to reset/program it somehow.

thanks

My Cars
    2013 328i xDrive
    Does anyone have any idea why this won't work on my OBC anymore?!? I reinforced all my buttons and upon putting it together, these functions wouldn't work anymore. The buttons work, of course, just not the test functions.
    -Chris

My Cars
    BMW E36 318is
    i have just wired up my OBC and will give this a try!!
    Maz

My Cars
    323i Auto Coupe 1998
    Does anyone have any more low level details about test #16 that is described as "Production Diagnosis (??)" above.
    I found a similar list of these secret codes elsewhere that describes test #16 in the rather cryptic manner quoted below.

"PORT : nn nnnnnnnn. Press 1000 or 10 key to cycle port numbers. For example PORT 01 is 10101000"

I have found that some of the digits change from 0 to 1 while I am driving along suggesting that these could binary representations of sensor readings? Has anybody been able to make sense of these or know what each port corresponds to?
    E36 1998 323i Auto Silver Coupe

taseal is offline Member Secret Santa Deadbeat
    My Cars
    '08 4x2 Patriot
    I just installed the OBC on my car today, and the speed feautres work... but the consum doesnt.... does it have anything to do with number 20?

Note on test #20:
    The factor is used to correct the OBC Avg Fuel Consumption figure to reality. If your OBC is off a bit: fill UP totally, run tank down and refill; then calculate your Actual MPG. Now enter test 20 to get the old Correction Factor.

consum isnt calculated by how much gas you have in your car, but by other means (not sure which OBC uses, either injector pulse width rate, or speed+RPMs) so it should work just fine without the range working (which isnt working on mine atm)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianbiz View Post
    I <3 j00 cause your threads are win.

My Cars
    323i Auto Coupe 1998
    Do any of the other consumption tests work (e.g. test #3 litres per hour should show about 1.2 litres/hour at idle)?

The default consum factor of "1000" was pretty accurate on mine comparing with actual calculated MPG. Try setting yours to this in case its missing.

Agreed, I think fuel litres usage is calculated based on injector duration/duty cycle assuming standard fuel pressure.

taseal is offline Member Secret Santa Deadbeat
    My Cars
    '08 4x2 Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny323
    Do any of the other consumption tests work (e.g. test #3 litres per hour should show about 1.2 litres/hour at idle)?

The default consum factor of "1000" was pretty accurate on mine comparing with actual calculated MPG. Try setting yours to this in case its missing.

Agreed, I think fuel litres usage is calculated based on injector duration/duty cycle assuming standard fuel pressure.
    ok, i'll check that and make sure its at 1000 (if its the default value, it should be at 1000...)

i dont think the consum actually uses anything with fuel related sensors... I'll tell you why... right now if I'm stopped and I reset the consum, it reads --.- as soon as you move, it goes to 99.9 MPG this means that it has to do something with speed of the vehicle I think...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianbiz View Post
    I <3 j00 cause your threads are win.

My Cars
    323i Auto Coupe 1998
    CONSUM calculations use distance divided by fuel flow, so you won't get MPG calculated unless you move some distance after resetting it. Drive say, 50 yards, stop, then watch MPG fall as you idle.

While you're in there, see if you can crack the enigma of test #16 ;-)

My Cars
    2013 328i xDrive
    Quote Originally Posted by heifetz17
    Does anyone have any idea why this won't work on my OBC anymore?!? I reinforced all my buttons and upon putting it together, these functions wouldn't work anymore. The buttons work, of course, just not the test functions.
    bump
    -Chris

My Cars
    bmw
    Nice bump...they don't work on mine neither

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast