Thread: Stupid Dash Brake Flashing. How to Turn it OFF?

My Cars
    89 635CSi-SOLD-2001 540i

Stupid Dash Brake Light Flashing. How to Turn it OFF?

Replaced front and rear pads with both sensors. Brake lining light turned off but the brake light continues to flash. Anyone know how to turn it off?

My Cars
    08 M6, 85 M635 Euro
    mine always has brake light lit on the msg center and check cluster light flashing when i turn the car on, until i press the brake pedal and it goes off. happens each time on start.

is this what your experiencing?

if so it might be a bad bulb, switch, corroded contact, connector somewhere. At least im pretty sure this is the cause of my flashing check lamp. have not had the time to dig into this yet, been working on other things.
    Last edited by vickumar; 09-01-2011 at 03:13 AM.
    Vickumar

E63 M6/F10 535i xDrive/E24 M635/E46 SC 328Ci/Gen2 Viper GTS

My Dummies Guide to Basic coding and understanding NCS Expert

Coming soon... Dummies Guide to using NCS Dummy to translate/code your ride!

My Cars
    JuliustroliJD
    Quote Originally Posted by vickumar View Post
    mine always has brake light lit on the msg center and check cluster light flashing when i turn the car on, until i press the brake pedal and it goes off. happens each time on start.
    That's normal. It's the system testing your brake lights and switch.
    It shows up as a fault until you complete a brake light circuit by applying the brakes.
    If the brake switch wasn't working the light would stay on.

My Cars
    08 M6, 85 M635 Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash635 View Post
    It shows up as a fault until you complete a brake light circuit by applying the brakes.

oh really, didnt know that... pretty odd. good to know! one less item to fix!
    Last edited by vickumar; 09-01-2011 at 05:09 AM.
    Vickumar

E63 M6/F10 535i xDrive/E24 M635/E46 SC 328Ci/Gen2 Viper GTS

My Dummies Guide to Basic coding and understanding NCS Expert

Coming soon... Dummies Guide to using NCS Dummy to translate/code your ride!

My Cars
    89 635CSi-SOLD-2001 540i
    So, your saying change the brake switch out? Is that the part connected to the transmission?

My Cars
    '92 325IC '88 635
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmernovice View Post
    So, your saying change the brake switch out? Is that the part connected to the transmission?
    No, it has nothing to do with the transmission. The brake light switch is mounted under the dash on a bracket on the brake pedal box. When you apply the brake, the switch plunger extends closing the circuit to light the brake lights. This same action cancels the flashing brake light (brake system self check) on the check panel when you fist start the car after you've applied the brake for the first time.

Are you saying in your case you still have a flashing brake light even after you've applied the the brake to cancel the flashing light?
    Last edited by carsnplanes; 09-01-2011 at 10:34 AM.
    '88 635, '92 325IC

My Cars
    '03 M5; '98 911 C2S
    Or, in my car, it wasn't the brake light switch but an intermittent problem with the connector for the right rear light cluster. Although the light will still be illuminated, you can stop the flashing by pushing the button on the check panel. However, as long as that check light is flashing or illuminated, you probably won't have any brake lights.

My Cars
    10/86 635CSi,99 528iT/5
    Quote Originally Posted by JimPA View Post
    However, as long as that check light is flashing or illuminated, you probably won't have any brake lights.
    Unfortunately this is incorrect. When it rains my light does not go off after the test sometimes but always everything works as it should. 25 year old connectors live their own life sometimes...

My Cars
    88 635CSi; 88 325iX
    Replaced front and rear pads with both sensors. Brake lining light turned off but the brake light continues to flash. Anyone know how to turn it off?

If the brake light is flashing in the bottom right side of your cluster, then you likely have a bad pressure sensor in your hydro boost system. (Steady on means you are low on fluid)

There are two switches one on top, one on the side. Do NOT unthread these until you have depressurized the system by pumping the brake pedal about 10-15 times while the engine is off.

AutohausAZ has these two sensors in stock

Quote Originally Posted by Pabloel View Post
    Unfortunately this is incorrect. When it rains my light does not go off after the test sometimes but always everything works as it should. 25 year old connectors live their own life sometimes...
    I tracked down an intermittent check light for the brake circuit to loose spade terminals on the back of the rear light housings. AND corroded bulb sockets.
    Last edited by bimmerjo; 09-01-2011 at 11:47 AM.
    1\*

My Cars
    10/86 635CSi,99 528iT/5
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerjo View Post
    I tracked down an intermittent check light for the brake circuit to loose spade terminals on the back of the rear light housings. AND corroded bulb sockets.
    I did the same thing as you but still i got that "check" on from time to time, especially when it rains. I threw the towel for now - I am gonna do LED conversion anyway which will solve the problem permanently.

My Cars
    1988 e24, 2000 e38
    Third brake light is a common cause (for those who have the third light). Remove the housing and jump the two green wires. There is an issue with the little circuit board in there. My check light flashed and I cleaned every socket and connection and replaced every bulb and brake switch. Saw this on a post and tried it. Worked like a charm.

Maury

My Cars
    89 635CSi-SOLD-2001 540i
    If the brake light is flashing in the bottom right side of your cluster, then you likely have a bad pressure sensor in your hydro boost system. (Steady on means you are low on fluid)

There are two switches one on top, one on the side. Do NOT unthread these until you have depressurized the system by pumping the brake pedal about 10-15 times while the engine is off.

AutohausAZ has these two sensors in stock

Definitely flashing which is more irritating than having it steadily on.

Quote Originally Posted by carsnplanes View Post
    No, it has nothing to do with the transmission. The brake light switch is mounted under the dash on a bracket on the brake pedal box. When you apply the brake, the switch plunger extends closing the circuit to light the brake lights. This same action cancels the flashing brake light (brake system self check) on the check panel when you fist start the car after you've applied the brake for the first time.

Are you saying in your case you still have a flashing brake light even after you've applied the the brake to cancel the flashing light?
    Yes, that is the case. That being said, there is this light blue plastic box that has fallen from behind the knee bolster just above the brake pedal. Its odd that it is there. i wonder if that has to do with anything regarding the brakes.
    Last edited by Bimmernovice; 09-02-2011 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    88 635CSi; 88 325iX
    Definitely flashing which is more irritating than having it steadily on.
    I meant to say low on brake fluid when the light is steady on. Have you had a problem with your power steering fluid leaking recently? I have a leak and when the power steering fluid gets low enough for the pump to cavitate it will cause issues and turn that light on.

Here is a little bit of info on these systems http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/feb99/techtips.htm

Yes, that is the case. That being said, there is this light blue plastic box that has fallen from behind the knee bolster just above the brake pedal. Its odd that it is there. i wonder if that has to do with anything regarding the brakes.
    Grab a pic? The only thing I remember being under there that is blue, is the temp sensor for the HVAC
    Last edited by bimmerjo; 09-02-2011 at 11:48 AM.
    1\*

My Cars
    '87 635Csi & 3 MG's
    Which "Brake light" are you talking about??

The one in the check panel to the left of the cluster, or the one in the cluster in the row of lights with the Brake Lining, Oil, ABS, etc.?

My Cars
    '01 330ci '86 BMW 635csi
    I am getting some seepage past the two brake pressure switches and plan to replace them, is a sealant used on the threads when installing?

My Cars
    86 635csi 98 740i 96 MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Derekwh View Post
    I am getting some seepage past the two brake pressure switches and plan to replace them, is a sealant used on the threads when installing?
    Are they seeping from the threads or from the electrical housing.

If it's the housing replace.

If it's only the threads, you can try Teflon tape before buying new.

My Cars
    '01 330ci '86 BMW 635csi
    I was thinking it is through the housing but I think I'll give them a good cleaning and make sure. Though I am getting a flicker from the brake light and wonder if it may be one of the switches, I know the fluid level is okay so it isn't that.

My Cars
    88 635csi

a few more details plz

I have a 1988 635csi automatic.

My brake light (in dash cluster that indicates low fluid on most cars) flashes on momentarily almost every time I hit the brakes. It does not flash continuously.

Is this an indicator that one of the two pressure sensors is bad?

Can I test to figure out which one?

Should I replace both?

Does the entire system need to be bled after the sensor replacement?

Is there anything the sensor is sensing that needs to be fixed?
    Thanks
    Shaggy
    Last edited by sanjuanbum; 09-06-2018 at 07:27 PM.

My Cars
    88 635csi
    bump

@bimmerjo
    Last edited by sanjuanbum; 09-06-2018 at 08:48 PM.