Thread: LSx swapped e46 radiator/expansion tank questions

My Cars
    99 323i?

LSx swapped e46 radiator/expansion tank questions

I want to first say I have not started to do this swap. I am just trying to gather as much info as I can before I start.
    I know a few people with e36 swaps have used the Mishimoto radiator with good success. As of now I believe that Mishimoto only makes an e46 M3 radiator. How hard would it be to fit one into my Non-M car? I know the expansion tanks are different. Have any of you eliminated the stock style plastic expansion tank and run a universal aluminum tank?
    Are people running the stock heater hoses through the expansion tank?

I am thinking that with an aftermarket aluminum radiator and a universal aluminum expansion tank. You can run the heater core hoses directly from the stock LS water pump. Eliminating all the plastic issues with the cooling system. What do you all think?

My Cars
    1998 540i
    Since you asked, I think you should use a stock radiator.
    Rob
    Prior projects:
    1998 540i with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy Power
    - pictures and details
    1992 325i with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy power - pictures and details
    1995 M3 with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy power - pictures and details

My Cars
    xx,xx,xx
    Quote Originally Posted by greenmonster138 View Post
    I want to first say I have not started to do this swap. I am just trying to gather as much info as I can before I start.
    I know a few people with e36 swaps have used the Mishimoto radiator with good success. As of now I believe that Mishimoto only makes an e46 M3 radiator. How hard would it be to fit one into my Non-M car? I know the expansion tanks are different. Have any of you eliminated the stock style plastic expansion tank and run a universal aluminum tank?
    Are people running the stock heater hoses through the expansion tank?

I am thinking that with an aftermarket aluminum radiator and a universal aluminum expansion tank. You can run the heater core hoses directly from the stock LS water pump. Eliminating all the plastic issues with the cooling system. What do you all think?
    They make the radiator for the non m cars as well

My Cars
    e36 m3 Ls2, 318I, 325is
    you should be able to find mishimoto rad for you application, there are a bunch on ebay. and they are only diff on the e36 318 the inline six used the same rad

My Cars
    99 323i?
    The Mishimoto site says E46 M3 Manual radiator 2001-2007. Nothing about a Non-M. On E46fanatics and some other sites it says it isn't a direct bolt in. I am pretty sure you would have to run the plastic M3 expansion tank with the Mishimoto as well.

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 330ci
    Rao is right stock if you have it.

I like my aluminum but it is not needed.