Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cabin fuel smell & E31 fuel ventilation system

My Cars
    1991 850i S70 6 speed
    Jaydog101,So utilizing the middle nipple and capping off the bottom has worked out for you?
    Last edited by shogun; 11-04-2019 at 07:30 PM.

My Cars
    BMW 850
    So what is the proper way to block this as I have seen 2 examples who have blocked the opposite one.
    Last edited by shogun; 11-04-2019 at 07:30 PM.

My Cars
    Bmw 850i coupe
    Hi, I have the same problem with the ventil valve i believe, but bmw tell me they no longer manufacture the part. Anyvody know where i can get one... Thanks
    Last edited by shogun; 11-04-2019 at 06:38 PM. Reason: double posts merged

My Cars
    1997 BMW 840Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Willett1 View Post
    Hi, I have the same problem with the ventil valve i believe, but bmw tell me they no longer manufacture the part. Anyvody know where i can get one... Thanks
    Also looking, I'm also doing reserch on what to use instead. It looks like audi may make something that will work, but will require modification.
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ve/4b0201766b/

If you find a more legitimate part please let me know.
    ~ AMurph ~
    ~Nor Cal E31 Owner~

My Cars
    850,76 2002 &530,84 633
    Here is the Audi valve on ebay for $30: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE...-/183619367673

My Cars
    BMW 850
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP530 View Post
    Here is the Audi valve on ebay for $30: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE...-/183619367673
    Will the audi one work?

My Cars
    1995 840Ci Cosmos Black
    The Audi valve will "technically" work, as would any similar liquid-blocking fuel return valve. Mounting it and adapting hose fittings would be the worst part of the job.
    It seems to me that cutting the mounting tabs off the old valve (keeping part of the valve cylinder section intact) and using a hose clamp or two to hold the Audi filter to the tabbed section, would work, or even a piece of metal plumber's tape and some flat rubber (like a split hose); ugly, but functional.

The float valve in it prevents liquid fuel from getting into the carbon canister, or worse flooding the engine to the point that a hydraulic lock could occur if enough fuel gets into the canister that it pushes into the intake and enough liquid fuel enters a cylinder. That kind of thing could happen without fuel expansion from temperature if the car is parked on an incline* such that the fuel level in the tank is higher than highest loop of line leading to the carbon canister (and intake, in the worst case). A simple Tee would solve the gas tank pressure issue, but would not prevent liquid fuel from possibly getting to where it shouldn't go, which could even happen with spirited driving. <-- My 2-cents. I have not yet addressed my fuel tank pressure issue, but will get around to it shortly.

*If you've seen pictures of cars parked in San Francisco, you'll get the idea...
    Last edited by DavesNotHere; 12-11-2019 at 03:11 PM.

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    forget the Audi valve....
    Nissan Skyline R52...
    https://www.ebay.com/p/1417865755

another member here did this, read 1/2 way down the page:
    http://km5tz.com/BMW%20850iP5.htm
    '91 Dinan 860 Stage III (new 6L engine)
    '91 Dinan 850 TT stage III (brand new engine) 21st Century Tech meets 18th Century Dinan...
    '91 850i 6sp (mint) (sold)
    '90 Dinan 750iL TT stage III (Guido - The Beast)
    '94 850 CSi The Detroit Auto Show car (restored to factory perfect) (sold)
    '96 850Ci, The George Carlin car
    ''73 3.0 csi, '08 535i, '03 X5 4.6is
    ...and a few other non BMW cars

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 09 Caddy SRX
    Thanks!
    1993 850Ci.....18 years & 165,000 miles and counting!

My Cars
    850,76 2002 &530,84 633
    I am using the Nissan fuel vent on my '91 model. It has helped with re-fueling but I still cannot fill tank at full flow without handle shutting off so I have to fill tank slowly. I made up a bracket out of some .063" alum. I bought the vent from tasca parts but it took a couple of weeks to get it.
    https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...lve-1737089900

My Cars
    91 850i 6MT, 88 M6
    I just took the valve out and bypassed it with a 90* connector. No valve, no problem!

My Cars
    BMW 850
    Quote Originally Posted by raineycd View Post
    I just took the valve out and bypassed it with a 90* connector. No valve, no problem!
    Is that a good idea?

My Cars
    91 850i 6MT, 88 M6
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatandre View Post
    Is that a good idea?
    Keep the shiny side up and it's fine.

My Cars
    Bmw 850i coupe
    Just want to recap, i have had my 850i for a while now and it drives perfectly (usually) but i can only half fill the fuel tank otherwise i get a big puddle appear under the car. There is no tank pressure when i take the fuel cap off. I have jacked the car up and removed the vent valve blowing it through and it seems to work although i dont know exactly how it is supposed to function. When the petrol leaks i take cap off and no difference. Its stopping me doi g long journeys. Does anybody have an idea what else could cause this... Bimmerforum threads helped me get thos beautiful car back on the road after my barn find here in New Zealand.....

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 09 Caddy SRX
    The 1st post in this thread is likely the your problem. I had a similar issue with a puddle. After the tank was below a certain level....no more puddle. Replaced the pricey pump assembly about 10yrs ago, no more puddles or fuel smells.
    1993 850Ci.....18 years & 165,000 miles and counting!

My Cars
    850,76 2002 &530,84 633
    Quote Originally Posted by Willett1 View Post
    Just want to recap, i have had my 850i for a while now and it drives perfectly (usually) but i can only half fill the fuel tank otherwise i get a big puddle appear under the car. There is no tank pressure when i take the fuel cap off. I have jacked the car up and removed the vent valve blowing it through and it seems to work although i dont know exactly how it is supposed to function. When the petrol leaks i take cap off and no difference. Its stopping me doi g long journeys. Does anybody have an idea what else could cause this... Bimmerforum threads helped me get thos beautiful car back on the road after my barn find here in New Zealand.....
    You may need to pull the right rear seat off and the cover over the tank so you can see if there's gas or residue on the cap where the pumps are installed. You may have to fill it back up again and check for leaks there on the top of fuel filter housing.

The vent valve under the right rear wheel well is a one-way valve to prevent gas spillage in the event that vehicle flips over.

My Cars
    Bmw 850i coupe
    Thanks for that, it is only if filled over half way, and that is where it is coming out at the screw ring at the top of the pump, however, it must be back pressure into the tank from somewhere as there are no visible holes as such. I have replaced a regulator at the front, i do have two new filters to add when i get a chance but that shouldn't affect it, does the carbon cannister have anything to do with this perhaps.

My Cars
    1990 BMW 850i
    Apologies for waking up such an old post but, getting crazy here.

Changed fuel tubes, carbon filter, valve under rear wheel, etc.

Still get fuel smell, also got leaks when pressure is high.

Not sure how I can test the valve, if it should simply allow air into and out from the tank? That is not happening now. Does the car close or open any other valve to vent the system?

Would a vented fuel cap work here? Love my E31 but….

My Cars
    91 850i 6MT, 88 M6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmrmm View Post

Not sure how I can test the valve, if it should simply allow air into and out from the tank? That is not happening now. Does the car close or open any other valve to vent the system?

When you open the fuel cap after it sits, does it expel air like it's pressurized? If so, probably still the valve in the rear wheel well or a line clogged.

My Cars
    1990 BMW 850i

Cabin fuel smell &amp; E31 fuel ventilation system

Can try to check that. What I noticed the last time was the following:

- car parked for a few months, tank almost empty
    - no leaks, no smells
    - first crank and it leaked, smelled a lot
    - after a while it stopped leaking, smell was there of course

Before that, what I noticed a lot was that there were no smells on a first drive, but after a couple of hours parked when driving a second time on the same day the smell came back.

If “feels” somehow pressure related, not sure if into or out from the system. When parked no problems seem to exist. Only when fuel being pumped out….

Can’t make much sense out of this. Not sure:
    - how to test the vent system (from where should I blow air, at what pressure it should flow, …)
    - eventually how to bypass it completely (therefore my question about a vented fuel cap, I know some cars have it)
    Last edited by Mmrmm; 07-09-2021 at 11:55 AM.

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    Fuel hoses at rear of engine will do what you describe

My Cars
    1990 BMW 850i
    Just bellow the microfilter you mean? Two very small curved tubes?

Done that.

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Mmmmmmm. There are 4 lines there, not 2. 2 upper, 2 lower on the left driver's side.
    CSi #18 - Car & Driver Magazine 1994 actual test car
    -- Hellrot/Black-Gray (1 of 1 NA CSi color combination)
    BMWCCA E31 Chapter International Clubs Liaison
    North America Representative, 8er.or Board of Directors

My Cars
    1990 BMW 850i
    Really?

I think only the 2 small ones were done.

Will try and see if I can find those other 2!

My Cars
    Had a 1991 BMW 850

Fuel Smell

Quote Originally Posted by Mmrmm View Post

I have been chasing fuel leaks this year again. I have previously replaced all the rubber fuel lines. However I did not use the Gates Barricade hose.

So the main culprits here are the two on the back on the engine. With the soft hose they were very suspectable to leaking and I spent a lot of time getting the line to the correct length so they would not bind and flex and leak. Also with the soft hose you had to clamp them hard and then the rubber starts tearing.

Other main culprits are on the fuel pump between the body and the tank. Pull your seats and look and if you see a puddle you either have a cracked fuel pump housing or bad hoses.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast