Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The Old Boat Build... part one?

My Cars
    89-735iL/03-745Li
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkSideofWill View Post
    It's great that you started using the meter. Just like any other tool, there are effective and not-so-effective ways of using it.

Do you have +12 at the green wire at the coil when you turn the key on?

Does the ground wire to the coil get a pulsed voltage when you crank?

These are the questions you need to answer about why you don't have spark.
    yes i get power from the green wire..

i cant test the ground cause i have no one to crank it while i hold the meter..

im just a bit primitive when it comes to using meters..

In the Darkness, where fear and knowing are one
    My Cars
    1987 Fiero GT
    You spent all day with your lady while your car was down; she can spend a few minutes turning the key for you...

If not, find one who will.

Once you get used to using the meter, you'll wonder what you ever did without it.

My Cars
    89-735iL/03-745Li
    It's great that you started using the meter. Just like any other tool, there are effective and not-so-effective ways of using it.

Do you have +12 at the green wire at the coil when you turn the key on?

Does the ground wire to the coil get a pulsed voltage when you crank?

These are the questions you need to answer about why you don't have spark.
    GREEN WIRE HAS 12VOLTS
    ground wire also has 12 volts with ignition on.. (wut?) this was done using the red lead off the meter and grounding the black lead

EDIT got spark car fired up.. videos coming thanks guys
    Last edited by 89BMW735il; 11-01-2011 at 11:55 AM.

My Cars
    1987 Fiero GT
    Quote Originally Posted by 89BMW735il View Post
    GREEN WIRE HAS 12VOLTS
    ground wire also has 12 volts with ignition on.. (wut?) this was done using the red lead off the meter and grounding the black lead

Good to hear.

+12 on the ground terminal of the coil with the key on and the engine NOT turning is exactly what you should see. The DME acts like a switch. When the engine's not turning, the switch is off. When the DME wants to charge the coil, it turns the switch on. When it wants to fire the coil, it turns the switch off (coil fires on the "edge" of that signal), then turns it back on again to charge it to fire the next cylinder.

When the engine is turning, you'll see pulsed voltage on the ground side of the coil. The frequency will vary with RPM, but the duty cycle should stay constant.

What was wrong with it?

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    GREEN WIRE HAS 12VOLTS

so what ended up being the problem?
    13 Grand Cherokee Limited V8 - Daily Driver - Wife
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    95 325i Sedan - Project #ebayE36
    90 BMW 535i/5 - i should probably work on this again...

My Cars
    89-735iL/03-745Li
    me... the two green wires one small and one large i had wrapped together and extended 6".. i seperated them and gave them both terminals at the coil and started right up.. i dont get it. but if it works then whatever.

now when the car was running it popped then shut off. so now i have to figure out what happened.

My Cars
    1987 Fiero GT
    I don't have the book in front of me right now, BUT I think that the green wire from the ignition switch also feeds the DME (the big green goes to the coil, the small to the DME).

Your DME either wasn't powered or didn't know that the key was on.

My Cars
    89-735iL/03-745Li
    I don't have the book in front of me right now, BUT I think that the green wire from the ignition switch also feeds the DME (the big green goes to the coil, the small to the DME).

Your DME either wasn't powered or didn't know that the key was on.
    thats what im thinking.. also im using the MillerPerformance WAR chip tune labeled Alpina B10.. car runs fine. no smoke nothing.. but once the turbo gets hot the car struggles to idle. im assuming cause i have no downpipe.. the air going into the cylinders is so hot it cant use it. sooo im going to leave the car alone for two weeks. get a downpipe made and then daily this fuckin thing.. hopefully i dont have to do alot to button her up

video 3rd startup

ok after getting the car up on some makeshift ramps.. i need a oil filter housing gasket. the VAC oil plate is leaking from the block.. :/ but so far thats the only major leak.. everything else was fixed by tightening it up

anyone know where i can buy one?
    Last edited by 89BMW735il; 11-01-2011 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    BMWs
    .. the air going into the cylinders is so hot it cant use it.

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    if it struggles to idle, i'd start with the alpina b10 map you're using. pretty sure the hardware you're running doesn't coincide with a b10.
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster

My Cars
    BMWs
    B10 did not have 42# injectors. That tune won't work.

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    look through miller's site. i'm pretty sure they have a tune there that'd be a good starting point. i think i have it downloaded somewhere on my tuning laptop but i dont even know where that is right now
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster

My Cars
    1987 Fiero GT
    im assuming cause i have no downpipe..
    Uhh... Say what?

So your exhaust comes right out of your turbine housing and blows straight at the firewall?

Srsly?

That will: A) melt plastic things in the engine compartment and B) set something on fire.

And you also have no filter housing or intake tube on the compressor? So the compressor is pulling unfiltered engine compartment air?

Lol... external EGR, j0!

My Cars
    BMWs
    Nothing wrong w/ no filter (ohhhh yeaaaahhhhh) but the whole "the air is so hot..." thing is mind bottling

My Cars
    89-735iL/03-745Li
    the car just got running it hasnt moved in months.. do you expect me to have fabbed a downpipe with no welder? i have to get it towed to a shop and have one made..

My Cars
    95 M3, 99 528i M, 98 e39
    I have an 89 735il as well and this gives me sooo much hope. I wanted to turbo the hell out of mine almost the same exact way! i cant wait to see it done. Pm me some specs on the kit. I might be doing this very soon as well! keep up the good work. If you were closer Id let you borrow my welder or Id weld what you needed...

1995 M3 Vortech Supercharged

My Cars
    1987 Fiero GT
    the car just got running it hasnt moved in months.. do you expect me to have fabbed a downpipe with no welder? i have to get it towed to a shop and have one made..
    With the hood closed, the engine compartment would fill up with exhaust gas and your engine wouldn't have clean air to breathe...

My Cars
    89-735iL/03-745Li
    With the hood closed, the engine compartment would fill up with exhaust gas and your engine wouldn't have clean air to breathe...
    it isnt being driven anywhere dude.. i just ran it for a few minutes to find any leaks.. in two weeks im having the car towed to a shop and they are fabbing up a downpipe and then im driving it home and its going to be my complicated daily.. im happy i got it running at this point in time.. i now have a house to pay for..

My Cars
    1987 Fiero GT
    Congrats on the house.

You said that after it ran for a while it had problems. Without a downpipe, that's not due to temperature as much as it is the ingestion of exhaust gas and lack of combustible oxygen...

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    have u tried a proper map yet?
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster

My Cars
    89-735iL/03-745Li
    Congrats on the house.

You said that after it ran for a while it had problems. Without a downpipe, that's not due to temperature as much as it is the ingestion of exhaust gas and lack of combustible oxygen...
    thankyou kind sir..i actually kicked my parents out and am taking over the mortgage and stuff.. (no i didnt actually kick them out.. they hate the neighbors and wanna move. i want my own place so we devised a plan to make everyone happy.)

OHHH but the hood was open the whole time.. idk either way i think it can be dialed out. it runs great. sorry for sounding like a dick. i am really happy to have finally got this turd running and didnt want rain on the parade

and no sir i just got home from work. no proper tunes yet.. in two weeks my entire paycheck will be devoted to finishing this car up and getting it drivable

My Cars
    532i Turbo, E34 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    B10 did not have 42# injectors. That tune won't work.
    +1

but I wonder if it sounds awesome on WOT with no downpipe.....

My Cars
    89-735iL/03-745Li
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsing View Post
    +1

but I wonder if it sounds awesome on WOT with no downpipe.....
    NOT trying this..

My Cars
    89-735iL/03-745Li
    ok so i think we fixed every single leak the car had.. i hope.. no oil to find out if we did or not yet.. the VAC oil line adapter plate has been bolted down as tight as i could get it( it leaked the most out of everything) i made an appointment at my local custom exhaust shop Mandrel Bending Solutions (top notch exhaust place) for next thursday.. they will be making me a custom downpipe that is a single 3" pipe then splits to 2 2.5" pipes and flows into my existing exhaust, also im finally getting my tips welded on! im expecting to spend around $400 for it cause its a tight fit and they might need to section weld it. soo no more updates till next friday guys.. thanks for watching lol

pictures and videos will be posted as things get done
    Last edited by 89BMW735il; 11-03-2011 at 08:01 PM.

My Cars
    89-735iL/03-745Li
    ok so the car wont start after i fixed all my oil leaks.. i think i cooked the DME relay when the wires touched a ground.. im replacing the DME relay tomorrow.. all oil leaks have been fixed, as well as the power steering leaks.. im excited to be this close to being done

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast