Thread: Trans fluid

My Cars
    93 740il & 03 dakota r/t

Trans fluid

Where can I get the transmission fluid Shell LA2634 Esso ATFLT71141 Texaco ETL8062B or ETL8072 and how much is it and how much dose the 93 e32 740il hold ?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    you can use Castrol
    CASTROL IMPORT MULTIVEHICLE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID IS FOR USE IN MOST HONDA, TOYOTA, NISSAN AND OTHER IMPORTED VEHICLES.

■Recommended for use in vehicles that require:

■Honda, Acura — ATF–Z1 (except in CVTs)
    ■Toyota, Lexus — Type T, T–III, T–IV
    ■Nissan, Infiniti — Matic–D, Matic–J
    BMW — LA2634, LT71141
    ■Mitsubishi — Diamond SP–II, SP–III
    ■Hyundai — SP–II, SP–III
    ■Volvo

■Also meets requirements of

■ATF+3®, ATF+2®, ATF+®
    ■Ford MERCON®, MERCON® V (Not for use where MERCON® SP is required).
    ■General Motors DEXRON®–III H and prior (Not for use where DEXRON®–VI is required).
    ■Allison C–4
    ■Available in quarts and gallons

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7028224

How much does it hold? The question is, how much do you get out, then refill accordingly.
    http://www.europeantransmissions.com...fluidchard.pdf

http://www.europeantransmissions.com...ansService.pdf
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1997 740i
    Dont waste your money on factory fluid. Use some synthetic multi vehicle atf with the BMW aproval. My trans has been drain and filled 4 times now with it and its clean and shifts great. I laugh at these people who think it will just destroy the internals of the trans, like this shell stuff is some magic god synthetic ATF in a bottle. When really it was created at a time when synthetics werent used hardly at all and these transmissions need somthing that performs under conditions viscosity and longer service intervals requiered. Thats where shell came in the make the fluid to meet this transmissions needs in a primitive time so to speak.
    1997 BMW 740iL

My Cars
    1996 BMW 740iL
    Valvoline MaxLife ATF closely mirrors the properties of the LT71141 fluid, the others do not.

My Cars
    E32 740il
    WARNING! DO NOT CHANGE THE FLUID UNTIL YOU DO YOU HOMEWORK!!!

I cannot stress enough on HOW important is to update the valve body and check current mileage on it!

If its 200K+ miles you might have to rebuild the entire transmission, adding new fluid (BMW liquid gold fluid or not) can shock the transmission due to the higher viscostiy of the new fluid, can it can burn out the clutch pack the already worn out clutches, resulting slipping going into trans program and eventually transmission failure!

Second the VALVE BODY! ZF has made a new kit for the Valve body, the common problem on the Valve body are the check balls on it, they tend to shrink due to a faulty design, if you were to put new fluid in the trans, the higher viscosity can force the already shrunken check ball can thru the check hole causing foward and reverse gear to engage at the same time, which results a catastrophic transmission failure, not only it damages the clutch pack but also damages the hard parts in the transmission.

If you want more information GOOGLE 5hp30.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    And here is the official letter of ZF service: To assure proper operation it is advisable to perform a drain and fill at 100,000km/62,000 miles or eight years https://oceansidemotorsports.com/bmw...ange-interval/
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!