Thread: NCS and E46 LSZ

My Cars
    02 E46 M3

NCS and E46 LSZ

Hi,

So I'm new to coding, I'm slowly grasping the basics.....ok, so I changed my LSZ to a newer one with CI36 so I can enable the triple blink (CYCL_TI_BLK). I was able to changed the VIN and odometer to match my cluster, and also copied the cluster FA to the new LSZ.

on to the NCS Expert
    first, I get this error when reading my new LSZ....

based on my research, I have the old daten file, I looked inside the folder and did not see LSZ.C36 on the E46 folder, only up to LSZ.C35, so that's probably my problem, a new daten files will solve this I think, but I don't know where to find the new daten files....

2nd, I can't seems to find the CYCL_TI_BLK, I tried looking on GM5 and LSZ and nothing....anyone can guide me on where to look.

3rd, and lastly, adding the new LCM, everything works, my LED taillights, and XENON, but the only thing that doesn't work is my auto leveling. The LCM came from a car with adaptive headlights....

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    1) New daten files can be grabbed from a Progman or Ista/P release. Copy the files from SP-daten-E46.ZIP\daten to the C:\NCSEXPER\DATEN\E46 folder

2) CYCL_TI_BLK will be in the FSW_PSW read from the LSZ (which you'll be able to do when you update the daten files).

3) Was the LSZ from a facelift coupe? If so you will not have autoleveling. Unlike every other E46, facelift coupes have a separate module to control the leveling functions... so the circuitry to control the stepper motors isn't present on the LSZs that originate from facelift coupes. Only 2006 M3s with factory HIDs have CI36 LSZs that also have the necessary circuitry for autoleveling to function.

If you're feeling particularly ballsy, you can desolder the CPU from the PCB of your 2006 LSZ and resolder it to the circuit board of your old LSZ. Or alternatively you can study the PCB differences and transfer over all the capacitors, resistors, and chips that are missing. Doing either would be remarkably difficult to do though.
    Last edited by TerraPhantm; 08-17-2011 at 08:48 PM.

My Cars
    02 E46 M3
    Thanks Terra, it works....

well, too bad, I just sold my old LCM....and I don't feel comfortable doing the CPU swap....anyways, a quick realoem lookup of the lsz vin, it came from 05 330ci convertible....so even if I change the faceplate to a euro faceplate with dial to adjust the level, it will still not work?....

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by gleech View Post
    Thanks Terra, it works....

well, too bad, I just sold my old LCM....and I don't feel comfortable doing the CPU swap....anyways, a quick realoem lookup of the lsz vin, it came from 05 330ci convertible....so even if I change the faceplate to a euro faceplate with dial to adjust the level, it will still not work?....
    The circuitry to control the motors simply isn't there.

The circled components (and some more on the back of the PCB) will be missing on US Halogen and facelift coupe LSZs. That top chip controls the stepper motors, while the other circled things are related to the leveling sensor reading. Euro halogen LCMs have the top chip (so the headlights will still do the self-test on power-on), but are missing the other circuitry (and they therefore cannot get readings from the leveling sensors)

The big chip in the middle (not circled) is the main microcontroller. On CI34 and newer LSZs, it's a freescale MC9S12D64 microcontroller (which contains a 1KB EEPROM and 64K flash memory... the flash memory contains the actual software and is not accessible over the K-bus as far as I can tell). On CI32 and CI31 LSZs, it seems to be a XC511301MPV8 - I cannot find a datasheet on that CPU, but since the PCBs seem to be identical between the C31 and newer LSZs, i'm assuming the CPUs are pin compatible.
    Last edited by TerraPhantm; 08-18-2011 at 01:16 AM.

My Cars
    02 E46 M3
    anybody tried using Z4 LSZ on E46....worst case scenario, what will happen if the Z4 LSZ doesn't match with E46, will it burnt anything?....I want to try it, but I want to know the level of risk....

My Cars
    E46 M3
    I recently did a LED retro fit to my 01 M3 and the kit came with a brand new LCM. (#Part 61319133021). Prior to installing I was searching about the triple blink and found this thread, after reading Terras post I was concerned that my LCM might not have the auto-leveling circuity as he mentioned.

While I didn't open up the LCM and look at the board I shined a torch in and confirmed that I had the larger chip circled near the socket and also the yellow components, so I thought cool I must have an 06 M3 LCM.

But it seems that my auto leveling doesn't function from what I can tell. I get the down up motion (startup) when I first turn the headlights on, but otherwise they don't seem to do anything else after that.

A few questions;

How can I test the auto level function to see if its working or is that obvious, I can't recall what they did with the original LCM?
    Would there be any faults to read. (I've only got navcoder so far, looking to do OBD once I get my cable working) Incidentally navcoder complains about the software version of the LCM as it quote recent (manufacturing date of 2008!?).
    Is it possible the auto-level function needs to be coded in to my LCM or is the Xenon setting enough, or is it just auto detected?

Cheers
    Chris
    Last edited by chriskuta; 10-18-2011 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Added part Number

My Cars
    2000 BMW 330Ci Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    The circuitry to control the motors simply isn't there.

The circled components (and some more on the back of the PCB) will be missing on US Halogen and facelift coupe LSZs. That top chip controls the stepper motors, while the other circled things are related to the leveling sensor reading. Euro halogen LCMs have the top chip (so the headlights will still do the self-test on power-on), but are missing the other circuitry (and they therefore cannot get readings from the leveling sensors)

The big chip in the middle (not circled) is the main microcontroller. On CI34 and newer LSZs, it's a freescale MC9S12D64 microcontroller (which contains a 1KB EEPROM and 64K flash memory... the flash memory contains the actual software and is not accessible over the K-bus as far as I can tell). On CI32 and CI31 LSZs, it seems to be a XC511301MPV8 - I cannot find a datasheet on that CPU, but since the PCBs seem to be identical between the C31 and newer LSZs, i'm assuming the CPUs are pin compatible.
    I'm new but have spent the last week scouring e46 forums looking for an answer to the following problem.

I have a 2000 e46 coupe and have recently discovered and started attempting to add auto lights to it. I have located a new type RLS to replace my current rain sensor, and now am looking for the correct LSZ.

Whilst researching I found that the lane changing/ triple turn signal could be added to my car by adding a 2006+ LSZ with SW# 4 or 4.5. (and some coding possibly)

I am trying to find out whether I can add a EURO LSZ face plate with auto lights and level dial to a 2006 LSZ unit. The reason for this is I don't know whether I legally need the ability to adjust the dipped beam vertically and also whether if the controls aren't there, will it retain its previous settings. If it did I suppose I could change the faceplate back on occasion if it needed adjusting, But preference would be to have all controls.

I think my answer may be above due to circuitry but I'm hoping this isn't the case?!

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Last edited by Rob330ci; 11-08-2011 at 09:35 PM.

My Cars
    e36 320 coupé
    Hey guys,

I know this post is OLD!! But i'm gonna try anyway.
    So, I have a 2000 convertible with Xenon and just bought a 4.0 LCM, also Xenon. Unfortunately as it turns out, it's from a coupe, so It's missing the auto-height-leveling parts.

Since 4.0 and 4.5 LCMs are hard to find, I'm considering to transfer the missing components from a spare 3.0 LCM. The 3.0 is practically useless anyway, and so is the 4.0 LCM in its current condition.

Long story short... Will transferring the missing components from the 3.0 tot the 4.0 LCM really work?
    I know how to change options in NCS so that shouldn't be the problem, if changing some settings is required.

Hope somebody reads this and can help me out!

Best regards,
    Luck Hermsen

My Cars
    M3 Buildup
    Grab a 3.6 and I’ll make it do what you need