Thread: Where does this alternator wiring go?

My Cars
    i can haz wheelz

Where does this alternator wiring go?

In my battle to take out my intake manifold (both halves), I had to take the alternator out as well as the part of the ECU that lives in the "valley" inside the intake manifold.

Part of the wiring I'm reattaching is this. On the top right-hand side of this picture there is a largish, red flat terminal. Where should it go? My guess is that it actually attaches to the starter, but I'm not 100% sure. I guess it could be a ground, though I'm surprised they'd use a red wire. Could anyone help me out? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by numbah9; 08-17-2011 at 04:32 PM.

My Cars
    325is 5SP manual Feb1995
    I'm not 100% sure, but when I changed my alternator, I had a red wire connected to ground. I also was surprised that the wire was red. Check for voltage, but I bet it's ground.

My Cars
    i can haz wheelz
    Given that there are 11ty billion things I have left to wire up, checking for voltage is not going to be an option

My Cars
    1996 318IS
    Yep it definitely attaches to the starter, at which terminal I have no clue.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 318is coupe
    it goes on the starter, it should be on the right side of it.
    where that wire goes, there should be another red wire identical to that one that bolts to the same side (the two red wires get bolted together on the starter)

see in pic. no. 1 is the two red wires bolted to one on the starter.

no. 2 and 3 should be black wires.
    Last edited by DailyE36; 08-17-2011 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Just to clarify something...your ECU does not live in the valley under the intake. Its located in the passenger side firewall. Your ICV does live in that valley.

Not trying to be a hardass but if you ever need more help from anyone here and you're not using the correct names it makes it very difficult and time consuming for us to hellp.

My Cars
    i can haz wheelz
    Quote Originally Posted by EurOnly View Post
    Yep it definitely attaches to the starter, at which terminal I have no clue.
    Thanks! At least that gets me on the right track.

Quote Originally Posted by DailyE36 View Post
    it goes on the starter, it should be on the right side of it.
    where that wire goes, there should be another red wire identical to that one that bolts to the same side (the two red wires get bolted together on the starter)

see in pic. no. 1 is the two red wires bolted to one on the starter.

no. 2 and 3 should be black wires.
    Thanks! I should be able to figure it out with this information.

Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    Just to clarify something...your ECU does not live in the valley under the intake. Its located in the passenger side firewall. Your ICV does live in that valley.

Not trying to be a hardass but if you ever need more help from anyone here and you're not using the correct names it makes it very difficult and time consuming for us to hellp.
    No worries. I realize that the ECU itself doesn't live in the valley so I shouldn't have used that term to describe it.