Thread: Anyone here with an LS powered E39 touring?

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31

Anyone here with an LS powered E39 touring?

Just curious. I know there are a few sedans but would love to see the tourings and find out how they drive etc.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi

This is something I've thought about with respect to Touring owners! the LS engine swaps are more plentiful in the US and in the sedans/saloons. I think there was one Touring owner who's in the unofficial touring thread who'd done or was thinking about this and/or he had a supercharged version - I can't quite remember - I think he's recently sold the car as well.

It'd be great to see done though! I'm really wanting to (eventually) put in the S62 M5 engine into mine, but I wouldn't mind an LS conversion too !

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Yeah my ultimate goal has always been to build an E39 M5 touring but it seems like a ton of work. It would be much easier and cheaper to do the LS I bet and the power capabilities per $ would be much better as well. I know people often hate LS swaps or any other brand swap but my friend has an LS E36 and it's just flat out awesome.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi

The E39 M5 S62 engine into a Touring is 'relatively' straightforward. One hassle is the coding to trick the M5 ECU into thinking there's a rear wash/wipe connected! I'm most likely going to delete my rear wash/wipe anyway, it's been stuck just off upright for a few years now and I've never missed it, even here in 10 months of the year rainy UK!

Now that a few more people have done the swap, a bit more information is flowing about it. A few years ago, I thought that the E60 M5 engine would be transplanted as more of those cars get written off by insurance quite easily (aluminium chassis which can't be re-jigged once bent) and theres the first V10 in an E46 that's very recently been done in the UK and one I believe by Manhartt (I think thats the company as I briefly flicked this months Performance BMW magazine) in Germany. It won't be long before someone with some suitable experience and pocket size will drop one into an E39 .. a friend of mine has a V10 M5 engine sitting around and I've joked with him to just 'store' it in my Touring, but he's not having any of it!

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Yeah I saw some videos of that car. A guy here in VA also has the V10 in an E30 M3!!!

My Cars
    540i, Brabus
    Always was wondering if we could shove the V10 from the previous M5's into our E39's.. Didn't think it was going to fit.. Mind you the transmission on these M5's seems to suck and lack in quality, but that may be different from person to person.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Should fit no problem if they fit in an E46.. The SMG trans suck. The 6 speeds seem to be ok. My coworker hated his M5 SMG trans but loves his M6 with 6 speed.