Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Tijuana Paint Job

My Cars
    '89 325, '91 325is
    Wow, looks great! I'm also curious about the prep around the windshield gasket.
    Looks so good I'm contemplating saving up for a road trip down to Mexico to get my E30 painted and un-dinged when the time comes.
    '96 328i 'vert
    '91 325is resto project /steady as she goes/ http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...0#post22092910
    '89 325i runabout
    '72 R75/5 restoration (The Albatross)

My Cars
    1996 BMW 320
    The E30 looks very very nice !
    Good job !

My Cars
    97 840c & 540I6 90 535im

Great price

I took my 8 in for a quote and got $1800 for the hood, roof, and trunk. And my guys in SF,Ca. and I smell paint all around his place.
    97 840ci-99 540i6-90 535i5 all black

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328i; 01 325i
    Very nice!

My Cars
    2013 F30
    Way better than the 1k i dropped on my paint job! Orange peel, dents still show thru, runs around side molding, peeling on bottom of back bumper after 2 weeks, not one part of the car looks smooth.. tape left everywhere, 10 day wait at $50 a day rental car charge, and I swear every single window had massive clearcoat overspray. Ultimate nightmare. Should have kept my black 328 with perfect body and paint instead of selling it and repairing this one! Lesson learned here. Maybe buffing will help.

But yours looks great from what I can tell!! Enjoy it... and watch out for stray shopping carts.
    Last edited by ANDERSONCELL; 09-09-2011 at 11:51 PM.
    "The only right way to do something is the other guy's way"

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318is and M3
    WELP They didnt use anything to lift the rubbuer up off the body around windows....have super glue ready to go when you wash it for the first time, BTW it stops the chips for about two years!

My Cars
    1998 M3
    it doesnt look bad at all, i would be scared that they just chop shop my car, but thats just me

My Cars
    1992 BMW 318I Conver.
    YOU ARE THE MAN DUDE!!

Ive been searching for a good
    place to get my car painted and
    I think ill be checking that place out soon!!

Thanks Once again!!

My Cars
    BMW 2002A

Los Panchos

Anyone been to Los Panchos lately?
    Prices and pics?

My Cars
    03 745LI
    Quality seems ok but who knows. I think the biggest risk would of been leaving the car in Mexico and come back with you being able to pick it up. Good job though if the quality last.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    You made your decision based on a thread where the VW Bus is;
    a) not done
    b) the original worker who started vanished
    c) is severely out of their time quoted
    d) NOT DONE
    e) you are assuming that pictures tell the truth about what is being shown

Sorry, but you absolutely get what you pay for. There is no question about that.
    You do not always get what you paid for. I sent a 1987 XJ6 Jag to a reputable shop to get painted and he quoted me $5000. I agreed to it, because I wanted a fabulous paint job that would last for years. When I went to pick it up, it looked aweful. Lot's of overspray, and even a drip on the side of the door. I refused to pay. We settled it in court. He lost.

I wound up paying another shop $2,400 and they did it right. Paying more does not always mean a better job will be done.
    Last edited by z3aficionado; 02-21-2013 at 04:43 PM.

My Cars
    87 GTI 16v, 85 Golf
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoul View Post
    Anyone been to Los Panchos lately?
    Prices and pics?
    I'm planning on taking my 85 VW Golf to get resprayed Cashmere White in a couple of weeks. It will need a bit of body work and some minor rust treated.

I called the shop on Monday and they sound very professional and accommodating.

OP - thanks for the great information. Looks like you got a quality paint job. What convinced me was their prep work - good stuff.
    Last edited by roger2050; 02-27-2013 at 12:04 PM.

My Cars
    E34, E30, LC, VP44, CJ7
    Figured it would be bright orange or green or Amarillo!!!!

Looks good.

My Cars
    1995 540i6, 1999 M3 S/C
    Hey man i live in SD and have been thinking about doing this same thing because my e34 has a crappy paint job right now. How comfortable were you leaving the car with them? How long did it take? And how legit is the service did you have anything valuable on your car/or did you strip it when you went down?

My Cars
    BMW 2001 330i
    Awesome! Do you know if they offered or were able to replace the convertible roof cover? I have a Celica convertible with a thrashed convertible top that needs to be completely replaced.

My Cars
    2005 S500, 2000 325
    Hey i read this post a while ago and almost forgot about it. But like most of you i wanted to find a good inexpensive Tijuana paint job that does good work and i can trust, well i did not have the best luck on that so i ended up opening my own auto body shop in TJ. The place is big, safe and we do great work. Plus most of the staff speak English and we also offer free rides back to the border after you drop off your car. And i do everything on american time, meaning if i say the car will be done in 3 weeks it will be done in 3 weeks or someone is getting fired. No BS, games, or other kinda crap i am a old school shop that keeps things open, honest and fair at great prices. We also do full estimates over email. and our customer service kicks ass. If you are need of a shop IM me or look us up. Kali Kustoms of TJ

I am not sure if i can post the name of my shop but if you are interested IM me
    Last edited by ebolick; 02-29-2016 at 05:42 PM.

My Cars
    1952 Chevy, 1951 Pontiac
    I found your post very interesting. I have a 1952 Chevy Deluxe that has peeling clear coat and the body shops in Palm Springs, Ca. tell me the whole car needs to be sanded to bare metal and re-done. Everyone I go to quotes me $15,000 to $20,000 MINIMUM! I would also like to have the chrome parts re-done. Your experience gives me hope that I wouldn't have to spend a fortune on a paint job. Can you give me any more specific info on the place you went to, how you negotiated with them, how specific you had to be about what you wanted as a final product? I really feel that if I'm going to restore this car I want it done as perfectly as possible -- windshield/rear window removed, all chrome/stainless taken off, etc. My biggest fear is that it will peel and that would be a real disappointment. Did you take your own paint with you? Did you have to stay there and watch what they were doing or check on them daily, weekly, etc. Tijuana is only a three hour drove from Palm Springs so well worth the time to save the big bucks. Anything you can share to help me out would be very much appreciated. This is my first classic car and I really want to restore it to a great vehicle. Again... many thanks!

John

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I forgot. Any ideas or thoughts on getting the chrome re-done?

My Cars
    1952 Chevy, 1951 Pontiac
    WOW! I'm very interested. I have a 1952 Chevy Deluxe 4-door sedan that I bought as my first classic car. Has 52,000 miles on it, runs great, mostly original but the paint job is shot! Have taken it to a dozen paint shops in Palm Springs area and they are saying $15-20,000 minimum! I am retired and just wanting to 'live a little dream' I've had for a long time about having a couple classic cars - I can't afford that kind of price for a paint job. But, I do want to restore this vehicle and I want it done right -- windshield/rear window removed, all chrome and stainless steel taken off and restored, etc. If you can give me more info on your shop, please send direct to me at classicguy@yahoo.com and I will send you photos, and anything else you need to give me a rough estimate. I can drive the car down there and stay up to a couple weeks if necessary or take you up on your ride to the border and stay in San Diego for a couple weeks until it's ready. I want original colors and I can even bring the paint if you prefer that approach. Very interested in hearing from you. Thanks much! John

My Cars
    '98 318ti M-Sport
    Wow, good stuff. I live in SD and have a car that needs a respray... But I'm not paying the quoted $4800. I'll keep this in mind.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    F12 Convertible
    Where are they located? I am in San Diego and go to TJ all the time for work, would like to get my 335D done! You're right, $1000 for all that work and the paint incl. is untouchable in the states. Wonder what the price is now, 7 years later or if they are even still around LOL!

My Cars
    540i. 525i
    Based on your recommendations I did the same for my 540i. The body was taken apart. For an extra $100 they took out the front and rear glass. He is in an area with other body shops. Their’s are all wavy. Every vehicle that had the most smooth paint. It was color sanded and buffed. He only uses PPG super high quality paint followed by 3 coats of clear. Hey if you want to complain about another week or two then let me tell you it would be worth it to leave him alone to his craft. I stayed at the American Hotel. 4 stars and just around the corner. I would not go out at night in that part. If you have time, then take an Uber to Encinata for about $25 each way. There is some cool small artisan manufacturers and sales (often 2 people total in Rosarito but Encenada has nicer beaches and fewer people (lower prices). Remember to buy car insurance at the border are. U will need this to clear customs. I wish I knew how to upload pictures. I would send you some

My Cars
    540i. 525i
    They took the windshield and rear window out. I did a color change so the took the doors off, stripped the regulators out, hood and sanded inside, trunk lid and taking stereo and nav out and tailights. 3 years now. Nothing is peeling. Good ol’ oil based PPG. The best part is that his dad started the business 30 to 50 years ago (my Spanish isn’t that great). I had hail damage as well. I rebuilt the engine and swapped to manual. A bunch of other stuff as well. Almondo is second generation. I’m not saying these things ti advertise for him and I almost never endorse anything. I read about his shop on Bimmer Forums and I wanted to give back to my brothers in BMW arms here. There are a couple of things you need to know. Taller Los Ponchos on Neugeve St (sp?) is his. Los Ponchos Upholstery is not his and they now take in and farm out autobody. If you ask for Almondo Martinez they are honorable and will steer you to the right place…but… Taller Autobody is two blocks away and is owned by Slick Willie, probably a former 1960’s used car salesman who can turn lightning mad at a drop.
    The second is to inquire about the Mexico auto parts importation laws. Please research this well. This is what was told to me: You have to bring with you a receipt from an auto salvage yard for all parts. You will then be charged 23% for everything that is not bolted on to the car. If you don’t then you may have your stuff estimated or turned away back to the US. You must buy Mexican auto insurance even if you don’t plan to drive it. I bought one day but I think their website says 30 days minimum. There is something about driving vs towing across the border. You can unload 50 ft from the agents on their ramp then reload on the other side. What do you do for old cars that are body only? I don’t know because all vehicles must have a license plate / be registered, have the original title plus a copy IN YOUR NAME. There is a tow truck driver that can assist you. I am not sure if it is wise to take a car hauler. If you do then the above applies. If you have a big two car flat bed there may be some additional commercial penalty. Check that out well. The TJ border is walking distance from the nearest US motels and Mexican car insurance places. If you plan to drive in Mexico your US insurance will not work. Also, make sure you buy an insurance will bail money. If you get into an accident, you are in jail until the money comes for the other guy. If you are involved with a taxi you are as good as hung from the gallows. Using a dash cam is worth the $10 from Wally World. I am not sure why but the TJ border is the strictest place. If you cross at another boarder they are more easy going, especially for bringing in parts I am told. If the insurance places know you are not driving your vehicle in they won’t insure you. Mums the word perhaps. You will need a photocopy of all of your documents listed above, plus the originals. You will also need a copy of your driving license that matches the above documents. You will need a black and white or color picture of your vehicle from all four sides. If you have the time, an import broker can do all of this for you. TJ is safe in the daytime. The old TJ is where most of these body shops are. Just don’t go out at night. There is a great quality and cheap hotel around the corner. Almondo will tell u where it is. Starting at your motel south of San Diego, remove all hub caps, wheel center caps, trailer receiver slide in things, tool boxes and anything that could be stolen. My center caps were stolen from a “oh yes it is safe” motel with a security guard on patrol on the San Diego side. The new TJ is modern and best to stay at. Taxis are under $5 or $10 and Uber works for longer stuff. Your GPS works but not all cell phone data plans seem to get signal.
    Now, there is a guy in Rosarita that is also has a good rep but I cannot find his card and cannot endorse him because I have had no experience. Rosarita and Encinata are nicer places. You can get a huge front lawn classic cement fountain for $300. There is a lady who hand crafts those criss-cross wood chairs, tables and stools with the pig skin tops for about $125 each. She is young, has children and her husband died. She is the hardest worker I have ever seen. She is about 32 years old, 105 pounds and chiseled rock hard muscles. Go in if you have a chance. I bought some things there. She stayed up all night. Bring her a 50 pound sack of rice, some veggies and maybe your last laptop or ipad for her kids. You can get custom in and exterior hand made doors but they are about $450 each so more expensive than HD.
    There is no violent crime. Even the locals have never seen it. The Sinaloa Cartel only fights with other cartels and they don’t target tourists. Now, if you go out at night until 2 am on Revolutionaries Blvd ti the bars or brothels then best there be twi or three of you at 225 plus pounds. You are just asking for trouble but nothing worse than knives. Guns are prohibited and only the worst criminals like the cartels have them (and US made rifles). On WhatsApp you can reach Almondo Martinez at Los Ponchos AUTOBODY (not Upholstery) at +52 664 479 1156 or telephone +52 664 479 1156 (haha, same cell number). Don’t trust any other internet numbers because of the copy cats. That tow truck driver who can tow you across the border to Almondo’s is at US (619) 572-4910. He is helpful and empathetic. Others wanted $650. He is based in San Ysidro, the name of that US city just before the border I could not remember above. If the road sign says “last stop before Mexico” believe it! Once you take that off ramp there is no turning around though they will likely turn you around if you make a mistake. If you are coming back across on foot, get that passport substitute travel card for the express walking lane. The passport line is slower. If u call to get a hotel ahead of time ask them if you could ger them to give you a paper pass for the express driving lane going back, otherwise the traffic line up can be hours. If you are walking across, just at the place where the pedestrian walkway meets the street there is a wagon that sells the best $1 gyros. All food is safe but know that even a foreigner can get diarrhea from a US Wendy’s because of different gut bacteria. I hope this helps because there is a pausity of contact information on yhe internet for the real Los Ponchos. There may may be other good guys out there but since Almondo was recommended on Bimmer Forums I chose him. I bought a round trip ticket from nearby San Diego Airport and returned on the same ticket one month later. Add one week to what Almondo says for the completion date and you will be fine. Driving through Yuma on the way back avoids traffic if you are headed in that direction. You can stoo and put your new $5 Gucci belt on along with your 6 month supply of medications and your new dental crown. Lyrica and equivalent gaba pentin like Neurontin cannot be brought into America. Is is actually a controlled substance in the US. I apologize in advance for the typos and spelling mistakes. I have been typing this on my iphone for an hour and just don’t feel like re-reading this and correcting my mistakes. Thank you to that first poster with his 2002 who recommended this shop. Oh yes, one last thing. The shop you go to at Los Ponchos may seem small but the real work happens at a warehouse size place across the street and down the back alley. Your vehicle is safe safe with Almondo. I wd not plan on leaving a trailer. You cannot bring a rental car or a U Haul into Mexico. Be forewarned. You will otherwise be safe and fine. TJ is not a honeymoon place so unless it is Encinatas (maybe maybe) I would only spend one night. Sorry to the TJ Tourism Board. It is not Coney Island (never been there actually).

My Cars
    540i. 525i
    Los Ponchos Autobody (not Upholstery) is not sketchy at all. Yes, paint and sand paper is more than that in the US plus we don’t pay our guys $5 per day ti sand. These guys are happy to do it. Other poster is correct. Hard to fund anyone to repaint. The money is in the insurance wreck repairs

- - - Updated - - -

I endorse this man’s post

- - - Updated - - -

I have been there also and had work as old as three years ago. Why all the negative Mr. Happy?

- - - Updated - - -

Los Ponchos English is better than my gf’s

My Cars
    2012 335
    I just had a very good paint job done by Alejandro Deras at Kali Kustoms on the North end of Ave Revolucion in Tijuana next to the border, only 2 small blocks North of the Red Light District. This guy is very skilled in his trade. He also has good equipment and is a perfectionist. I am very happy with the outcome. Total cost was a fraction of the cost in So Cal.

I checked his workmanship on another car and it looked good. My car had a big dent on the right quarter panel and many dings all over. He said better to paint the whole car than matching paint in spots, quoted me a very reasonable price, 2 days to prep and paint. Made an appointment for a weekday, brought the car and left it with him at 10 AM while I checked into a cheap hotel nearby on Ave Revolucion, went to lunch and hung out in the clubs all night. That night I came back from dinner in an UBER past his shop about 10 PM. He was still working on my car. His wife and workers were having dinner in the shop.

Next morning I came to check. The car had been all patched up and taped, ready for primer and paint. His body work was perfect. He sculpted the complex shapes to look factory original, said he had to work all night to get it done in time for me to go home. He started painting while I went to lunch and hang out in strip clubs. Came back about 4PM, the clear coat was finished. He was removing the tapes. Car looked smooth and shiny, very little orange peels if any could be seen. He said wait 3 weeks for the clear coat to harden then bringing it back for polishing. He also detailed the car, polished wheels, blackened tires. Car looked nice and shiny like original factory paint. I drove home by 6PM.

3 week later he was not answering text so I drove the car down Sunday about noon. He was working on another car so told me to come back the next day. I told him it was a long drive for me, could not come back the next day. Finally he agreed to delay the other car and started on mine. I went to lunch and dinner in between hanging out in strip clubs as usual. It's nice to hang out in strip club while waiting for the car hehe.

Came back about 6. He was polishing the car with power tools and different grades of powders. He then waxed and polished the car again and again to mirror finish, giving attention to every detail, finished by 8. He spent 3 full days for this job. His work quality was far better than any shop I went to in Socal and his price was only a fraction. I was very happy with the outcome, gave him a propina and promise to send my friends to him. He also repair leather seat cheap.

He and his wife run that body shop and car detailing business, across the street from a tire store at the Northernmost end of Ave Revo. Check him out

Alejandro Deras, Kali Kustoms, Address: Av. Revolución 231, Zona Nte. , 22000 Tijuana, B. C, Mexico.

https://www.fortijuanalovers.com/en/...rkshop-tijuana

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12