Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: New to E23 forum

My Cars
    1984 BMW 745i

New to E23 forum

Hey Everyone,

Just picked up my first e23! I currently own 2 e21s but could not pass this up
    1984 745i
    125xxx miles
    no rust, mint mint other than minor ding on rear bumper
    Heres some pics:
    Enjoy:

everything seems to be working in the car, full tool kit, full medical kit in arm rest of rear seats.

whats available for suspension on these? does anyone make coilovers? also where is a good place for parts?

thanks kent
    1984 BMW 745i I always know when im boosting because i can feel the seat springs in my back

My Cars
    85 €735i 08 550i/6
    nice! There isn't much suspensionwise out there readily available. I just bought some Bavauto springs that I'll be putting on next week, I'm going to let everyone know how they work, good or bad. I think you can still get some H&R springs. I haven't seen any e23 specific coilovers, but they could exist somewhere.

My Cars
    1984 733i manual
    Nicely done! Euro bumpers and some spiffy wheels.

I especially like the knitted doily under the parking brake.

My Cars
    01 dinan 7 sport, 83 733
    just make your own coilovers. its real easy. im going a different route with mine...........

My Cars
    2006 subaru impreza, 1984 bmw 733i
    Wow.. 13 duplicate posts.. That's gotta be a record!

My Cars
    85 €735i 08 550i/6
    I was thinking the same thing. Its gotta be a record.

My Cars
    1984 BMW 745i
    wow i got really excited when i saw 15posts lol

what airbags and management are you using for your system? ive thought about doing an airbag setup but not decided
    1984 BMW 745i I always know when im boosting because i can feel the seat springs in my back

My Cars
    01 dinan 7 sport, 83 733
    well now that the posts are gone....lol

im going with universal bags in the front and rear with the autopilot digital air management.

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

Looks like a nice, original car! Just like my green one, but yours runs.
    I seem to remember seeing a tailpipe like that on a car here a while back. How long was the thing in the US?

Check that passenger side motor mount, probably collapsed causing that hump hose between the venturi and upper IC pipe to be pinched in that manner. Also inspect all those vacuum lines and hoses, they fail pretty quick due to the heat.

There are piles and piles of information around regarding the 745i/M106 read and read and read, then make your own conclusions on upping the power if you are interested in that.

Not much bolt on suspension stuff, you have to really search hard to find stuff. Off the shelf you can still buy Mtech I think, H&R, and those BavAutos.

Dinan used to make springs, RD, Eibach, um not sure who else. Guy on another board is cloning the Eibachs, but be prepared to wait and wait. I have ordered two sets about 18 months back. Luckily I am in no rush.
    I make E23 parts.
    09/1983 745i (stolen spring '13 around Houston, TX Achatgruen on nutria buffalo. 8481080)
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i
    11/1984 735i (10:1-265/6)
    Ford, MB, and GM round out the pack.

My Cars
    DD: 1986 535i; 1972 2002

Everything working ???

Quote Originally Posted by 1981320i View Post
    Hey Everyone,
    Just picked up my first e23! I currently own 2 e21s but could not pass this up - 1984 745i 125xxx miles no rust, everything seems to be working in the car, thanks kent
    Congratulations, that looks like a nice example, very clean!

You might be interested in the simple and effective upgrades I developed for the rear lights, in the interest of 'keeping them out of your trunk' when or if you end up in a panic stop or very poor visibility situation.

I am building a set for 'MGILLI' right now to double the size and triple the output of tail and brake lights, using BMW Parts and finishing the job they started. All self contained, looks totally stock, nice and bright.

Q- is this a 'Euro' version with working rear fog lights? I ask because you are north of the border... and it might affect the options available as to where the second brake light appears within the lens.

I will be posting pics of the 'before' and 'after' when the set is done, for your approval.

Good luck and enjoy this car, great score!
    "Be Seen, and Not Hurt"!
    Lighting Upgrades for 2002, E3, E9, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39
    Tail Light restoration and upgrades keep them off your tail
    Headlight protection film keeps lights intact and forward view clear

My Cars
    E30/E32/F25
    nice man! i got rid of my callaway e21 to get my 745 5spd its dead on the same as yours the dark blue on cream very very nice ride man!
    Me E30 87/ 325i + F25 12/ M-Sport + E32 94/ 740i

G/F’s E34 92/ 525iT + F48 18/ X1

My Cars
    1984 BMW 745i
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterFixit View Post
    Congratulations, that looks like a nice example, very clean!

You might be interested in the simple and effective upgrades I developed for the rear lights, in the interest of 'keeping them out of your trunk' when or if you end up in a panic stop or very poor visibility situation.

I am building a set for 'MGILLI' right now to double the size and triple the output of tail and brake lights, using BMW Parts and finishing the job they started. All self contained, looks totally stock, nice and bright.

Q- is this a 'Euro' version with working rear fog lights? I ask because you are north of the border... and it might affect the options available as to where the second brake light appears within the lens.

I will be posting pics of the 'before' and 'after' when the set is done, for your approval.

Good luck and enjoy this car, great score!
    hey, thanks for the offer but i have the rear euro fogs so im all good in the rear end however, in the front what options do you have for headlights/highbeams?

Quote Originally Posted by e30luv318i View Post
    nice man! i got rid of my callaway e21 to get my 745 5spd its dead on the same as yours the dark blue on cream very very nice ride man!
    thank you very much, where did you source your 5spd from? and if so do you have a write up by any chance. i would love to swap this to a 5spd but dont know even where to begin!
    Last edited by 1981320i; 08-17-2011 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

Do not be so quick to dump the auto... with a diff change and a restalled converter, the car will rip compared to stock.
    I make E23 parts.
    09/1983 745i (stolen spring '13 around Houston, TX Achatgruen on nutria buffalo. 8481080)
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i

My Cars

Rear fogs- score!

hey, thanks for the offer but i have the rear euro fogs so im all good in the rear end however, in the front what options do you have for headlights/highbeams?
    Working rear fog lights is a real plus, I would also want them working, but don't overlook the benefit of additional tail lights. You can keep rear fogs and still have bigger and brighter tail lights, very inexpensively, too. You have all the sockets, just need a conversion for the tail light filament.

I do a 'thing' to the stock brake light (above the tail light) converting it for a two filament bulb. The brake and rear fog lights keep working, and it ADDS a tail light, much safer. Looks totally stock, too. Wait for the pics, up later today I hope, before you blow this option off entirely.

And high output bulbs in all positions will make the rear lights brighter just from that step. Same wattage, same heat levels, just 40% brighter. Avoiding a rear ender by 'grabbing their attention' with bigger, brighter lights in back is far less expensive than repairing the damage caused by one. Compare the height of your rear lights to the height of an SUV or truck front bumper... and consider how much better BMW brakes are than on lesser cars and trucks.

Front light upgrades- way easy. High output bulbs are available and easily installed. Your lights (large lows, small highs) are 1980's state of the art, but still better than the US Standard Sealed-Suck-Beams. The stock wattage Phillips or Narva H1 and H4 bulbs are 30-50% brighter, and there's always the Über-watt route if you use good thick power and ground wires and bigger fuses.

Fog lights are the most abused lights; if cracked or totally sand blasted, you might want to consider new, with clear headlight film on them (about $12/pair). In fact, put it on all front lights to avoid damage when a rock hits them. For $35, I'll send you all six pieces cut to fit. They are a no-brainer for flat face lights. I'll send a sample if you like.

For all six high output bulbs, figure around $80-100, you will see for miles, or at least much further.

Andy
    "Be Seen, and Not Hurt"!

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

OE Third brake lights really help!
    I make E23 parts.
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i

My Cars
    E30/E32/F25

thank you very much, where did you source your 5spd from? and if so do you have a write up by any chance. i would love to swap this to a 5spd but dont know even where to begin!
    i bought it swapped it doesnt seem that difficult i believe its a normal 735 trans i can help you best i can if you need it feel free to pm man
    Me E30 87/ 325i + F25 12/ M-Sport + E32 94/ 740i

G/F’s E34 92/ 525iT + F48 18/ X1

My Cars
    1984 BMW 745i
    Quote Originally Posted by Hit Man X View Post
    Do not be so quick to dump the auto... with a diff change and a restalled converter, the car will rip compared to stock.
    does anyone sell gears for the rear diff? also how do you restall a converter? im not very familiar with these so there will be lots of questions lol

Working rear fog lights is a real plus, I would also want them working, but don't overlook the benefit of additional tail lights. You can keep rear fogs and still have bigger and brighter tail lights, very inexpensively, too. You have all the sockets, just need a conversion for the tail light filament.

I do a 'thing' to the stock brake light (above the tail light) converting it for a two filament bulb. The brake and rear fog lights keep working, and it ADDS a tail light, much safer. Looks totally stock, too. Wait for the pics, up later today I hope, before you blow this option off entirely.

And high output bulbs in all positions will make the rear lights brighter just from that step. Same wattage, same heat levels, just 40% brighter. Avoiding a rear ender by 'grabbing their attention' with bigger, brighter lights in back is far less expensive than repairing the damage caused by one. Compare the height of your rear lights to the height of an SUV or truck front bumper... and consider how much better BMW brakes are than on lesser cars and trucks.

Front light upgrades- way easy. High output bulbs are available and easily installed. Your lights (large lows, small highs) are 1980's state of the art, but still better than the US Standard Sealed-Suck-Beams. The stock wattage Phillips or Narva H1 and H4 bulbs are 30-50% brighter, and there's always the Über-watt route if you use good thick power and ground wires and bigger fuses.

Fog lights are the most abused lights; if cracked or totally sand blasted, you might want to consider new, with clear headlight film on them (about $12/pair). In fact, put it on all front lights to avoid damage when a rock hits them. For $35, I'll send you all six pieces cut to fit. They are a no-brainer for flat face lights. I'll send a sample if you like.

For all six high output bulbs, figure around $80-100, you will see for miles, or at least much further.

Andy
    Unfortunatly i do not have the big/small light set up, there both big. I was looking into the hella h1/h4 that seem to be a massive improvement. I look forward to the pictures of the taillights once you have them.
    Last edited by 1981320i; 08-17-2011 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

Regarding the lights, until you have time to revert back to the 'proper' setup... just use these: http://classicgarage.com/534rounhealb.html I have on my Ljet and the 735i, they work very well for the cash and drop right into place of the crap sealed beam.

I am sure BMW sells just the gears, but the cost is very high. Best is to just purchase a complete diff. The 745i was obviously designed for hustling down the freeway, at triple digit speeds with ease... which is around 3500rpm in OD with stock gearing at 120mph for example. That is right into its torque.

Not sure of Canada's freeway speeds, but here in the vast majority of the US the speed limit is 60-70mph typically. So split that difference and say 65mph, you now have a car that is barely ticking over at 1800rpm in OD. The thing makes no power down there.

Next up the 745i had what is called the 'big case' diff, 210mm is the size of the gear set. You could go down and probably be fine for a long time at the medium case size 185mm?

A 3.91:1 will put you around 3000rpm @ 80mph, just about ideal. 65mph is around 2500rpm. Now before you scoff at that much gear, remember that the early E32 M30 cars with an auto came with a 3.91:1 also.

The big case 3.91:1 came in the M5/M6 cars of the '80s, medium case 3.91:1 in the '88/89 E24 with the B35 + auto. Not hard to find but not easy, just have to look around. There are big case 3.73:1, 3.64:1, 3.46:1, 3.25:1, 3.07:1, and 2.93:1 (maybe others). I would consider a 3.73:1 if you attain it for very cheap, if not just hold out for the 3.91:1. Medium case 3.73:1 are super common in the E30 325i too, if you wanted to try out the extra gear before spending a few dollars on a big case. Diff swaps are pretty easy, I just put a 3.91:1 into my 735i. Plus higher demand ratios in LSD form really do not lose value if you find that you do not care for it.

FWIW, Dinan used to swap the 3.25:1 to a 3.91:1 in M30 cars (I think the information I read was for the E28s) back in the late '80s/early '90s and drop around 0.6 off a 1/4 mile run with JUST a gear swap. AND the 745i is geared even worse for the US market. The US 733i was nearly as bad with a 3.25:1

I am sure you have put your foot to the floor from a dead stop in your car and have seen the tach dork up to around 1900rpm then just sort of putter off until it builds enough steam to spool up and move. This is one of the three key reasons the 745i is not a stop light bandit (the other is the Motronic system).

Anyway, the converter cannot slip more internally than the speed above (think of letting the clutch out fully too soon and the car falls on its face). This place will take your existing torque converter, not only rebuild it, but restall per your request it so you can actually jump into the power from a dead stop: http://protorque.com/ If you have never driven a stalled turbo car, you are in for a shock.

Search around on places like Youtube or something to look for video clips. The biggest stall I had was a 4400rpm and it was borderline absurd for street driving. 2500rpm is basically invisible and only noticeable when you step on it and is far better than stock. I have let my mother drive a vehicle I have with a 2500rpm and she said nothing... hell my V90 has a 2400rpm from the factory. 3000rpm is more aggressive, but the acceleration benefits are very nice.

Do some reading and video watching to understand more, then ask me more. I could type for a day about converters. My final say on those is anything is better than stock.
    I make E23 parts.
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i

My Cars

Finally!

I look forward to the pictures of the taillights once you have them.
    OK, finally got off my asphalt and took some pics. To get a relatively accurate comparison of the brightness of the brakes vs tails, I used full manual on the camera, so tails look very dim compared to brake lights. There's a huge difference, naturally.

Now a word from the engineering department: this particular build has the added tail and brake lights in the far inboard section, the one that is dark on US cars. It can be reconfigured to place the extra tail light directly above the existing tail, which might be preferable. It would still have the extra brake as shown here. I'll rework it and post some pics later with that option.

Stock tail light--
    E23StockTail.JPG

With additional tail light--
    E23+1Tail.JPG

Stock brake light--
    E23StockBrake.JPG

With additional brake light--
    E23+1Brake.JPG

Any questions, fire away.
    "Be Seen, and Not Hurt"!

My Cars
    1984 BMW 745i
    ^ sorry are you just using the rear fog light location as a 2nd brake light?

My Cars
    No, not JUST, it's a second brake light and second tail light. In the pictures above, the added tail light is in the rear fog, same location as the added brake light. Compare the 2nd and 4th pics.

In the next design configuration, the rear fog will be a second brake only, and the existing brake will have an added tail light. So the two tail lights will appear as one big light, same width as the stock tail, but twice as tall, and way brighter with the HO bulbs I use. The added brake light will come on as shown above, no change.

See, I have this fear (after my first BMW, a '72 2002, was rear ended five times) of a bulb failure making the already dim lights go dark. So, since a single bulb WILL fail, I decided it would be better to have two bulbs and reduce the chance of failure to practically nil. Look at the lights on top of TV antenna towers, the FAA Clearance Light. Always installed in twos, never just one. There is a statistical probability of practically zero that both bulbs will fail at the same time, even on the same day. So, it's safer. Even when one bulb fails, you still have tail AND brake lights on both sides. Bigger, brighter, and better.

Pics of design option 2 up tomorrow. I think you'll like it better than this one, and Human Factors says it will be better visually as well.
    "Be Seen, and Not Hurt"!

My Cars

Design Option B - tail lights stacked

Pics of design option 2 up tomorrow. I think you'll like it better than this one, and Human Factors says it will be better visually as well.
    /\ here is 'design option 2' - extra tail light in the BRAKE light socket.

E23+1Tail-revA.JPG

Compare the above to the design with a separate tail light over to the right:
    E23+1Tail.JPG

Now, here is a pic with all, tail and brake lights together. Obviously, the second tail light is obscured by the brake light filament. I think you'd have to be totally blind not to see a car with two of these lights on the back. Remember - this is just the left side.
    E23+1Tail+1Brake.JPG
    Last edited by MisterFixit; 08-20-2011 at 07:00 PM.
    "Be Seen, and Not Hurt"!

My Cars
    1984 BMW 745i
    Update:

After driving it around for a little bit the head decided to break a rocker arm.
    Just going to list the parts & what was done to the motor.

New:
    valve stem seals
    head bolts
    rocker arms
    head gasket
    lower timing gaskets
    upper timing gaskets
    intake mani gaskets
    exhaust gaskets
    valve cover gasket
    timing chain
    camshaft gear
    crankshaft gear
    timing guide rail
    timing tension guide
    misc vacuum hoses
    crankshaft seal
    cam seal

Reman'd the cylinder head as well.
    Drove the car around all weekend and its a blast, runs very smooth now.

Shout out to GAS for doing the work, happy with the end result!

Xephius is offline 665 Neighbor of the Beast BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '00 740iL, 01 325xiT
    That's a really good looking 7!

John

My Cars
    1984 BMW 745i
    Thanks! She's now put away for winter, more updates come springtime!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast