Thread: E39 1998 523i T cigar lighter fuse keeps blowing

My Cars
    2001 E39 525iSE man sal

E39 1998 523i T cigar lighter fuse keeps blowing

Just picked up another 523i Touring after losing the rear of my last one on a damp iron inspection cover and having it written off! This one has a dead Cigar lighter socket. Due to assuming 'Charger socket' was cigar lighter and fuse 39 being intact, I have stripped down the centre cosole to inspect socket. Now have realised with help from Haynes manual that 30A Fuse 52 in boot is appropriate fuse; with cigar lighter unplugged from the loom, the replacement fuse also blows immediately. Does anyone have any ideas? or shall I start to remove more trim to trace a short? Thanks

Sorry. I have just checked and there is no short either end, so in absence of any more 30A fuses, I tried a 25A (wont be lighting any cigars anyway). I now have 12V at Cig Lig connector so will continue connecting cig Lig and trim.

Well in conclusion four hours later. If your CIGAR lighter is dead, replace the fuse in the boot, NOT the charger socket. If the first fuse blows, try another one before dismantling half the interior and breaking the brittle plastic heater fascia.
    Last edited by bluebottle; 08-06-2011 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost