Thread: WTB Gear Selector Cover Plate

My Cars
    911 + E31

WTB Gear Selector Cover Plate

WTB: Gear Selector Cover Plate

You know, the plastic black plate that surrounds the gear shift selelector. It says PRND etc.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    I posted one of these want ads a year ago, and no one had one. I ended up refurbishing my existing one tonight actually. Which one are you looking for? You didn't specify if it was for the 840 or the 850.

My Cars
    911 + E31
    Hiya Olin, it's for my '91 850. How did you refurb yours? The clips that anchor it to the cavity are broken. Did you have a similar issue of sorts?

Cheers

My Cars
    BMW 840ci'97, BMW E34 M5
    Hi Koizumi do you have part number on yours? Send it to me let me see what I can do.

Is it this one Cover, gear selecting lever151168118764
    Last edited by argentic; 08-06-2011 at 08:00 PM.

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    Quote Originally Posted by Koizumi View Post
    Hiya Olin, it's for my '91 850. How did you refurb yours? The clips that anchor it to the cavity are broken. Did you have a similar issue of sorts?

Cheers
    Yes, I did. I yanked on it and snapped the lower one off not knowing it was screwed down. EVERY other automatic BMW I have worked on is just clipped in around the edges.

I was just going to buy a new one, but it seemed a bit pricey for a relatively basic part...and with a 6-speed manual in its future, I thought it would be a bit frivolous when so many other things need to be replaced.

Anyway, I took out the entire thing piece by piece. There are alot of small delicate parts. Then, I recolored the indicator (since it was faded to white) with "fire orange/red" hobby spray paint. Mine needed some extra attention with a tiny bit of super glue around the light optics since I had messed it up so badly, but it functions as good as new again. If both tabs are broken off, it will stay down with a washer around the screw to grab onto whatever is left of the plastic.

You can see how horribly sun-faded that the gear indicator was:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by olinjohnston; 08-07-2011 at 01:32 PM.

My Cars
    911 + E31
    Olin, I greatly appreciate the info you've kindly posted here I will give your suggestions a shot. I am amazed with how flimsy the white plastic gear indicator mechanism is.

Best regards from 323

radlaw is offline SoCalEights Member BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    1995 BMW 840Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by olinjohnston View Post
    I recolored the indicator (since it was faded to white) with "fire orange/red" hobby spray paint.
    I'm in the process of "refurbishing" my gear selector plate. (What a task!) My gear indicator is also faded. When trying to re-color, I notice the "orange" indicator tab is covered by plastic. Did you color over the plastic, or were you able to color the tab directly. I plan to use a red Sharpie.

My Cars
    01’ x5 3.0
    But if anyone happens to have one for a 95’ 840 I’d be happy to take it off of your hands
    01’ x5 3.0
    04’ x5 4.4
    03’ 530iM
    95’ 840ci

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Quote Originally Posted by lilcallaway View Post
    But if anyone happens to have one for a 95’ 840 I’d be happy to take it off of your hands
    I believe this is what you are looking for:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Original-BMW...MAAOSwtJZXVs4Y
    CSi #18 - Car & Driver Magazine 1994 actual test car
    -- Hellrot/Black-Gray (1 of 1 NA CSi color combination)
    BMWCCA E31 Chapter International Clubs Liaison
    North America Representative, 8er.or Board of Directors

radlaw is offline SoCalEights Member BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    1995 BMW 840Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbmw View Post
    Unfortunately, that's for Steptronic. I need one for non-Steptronic.

My Cars
    01’ x5 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbmw View Post

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Original-BMW...MAAOSwtJZXVs4Y
    Yes we need the nonsteptronic part. Thnx though!
    01’ x5 3.0
    04’ x5 4.4
    03’ 530iM
    95’ 840ci