Thread: Power Steering Leak - from the steering box?

My Cars
    93 740i, 84 533i

Power Steering Leak - from the steering box?

I replaced much of the front end this past weekend (control arms, tie rods, center link) and now have a very, very serious 11S leak (an expensive one too!) I degreased the area to pinpoint the leak, and it actually looks like it is coming from the steering box. The leak appears to be coming from the bottom snout the sticks into the sub-frame cross-member. The fluid drips from the access hole on the bottom of the cross-member. Am I missing a more obvious source, or did I damage the steering box in changing the tie rods. It drips at a rate that I can follow the line easily across the parking lot.

For the record, I began using a screw-type tie rod separator, and put as much tension on it as I could. I literally could not move the wrench any more with the limited room to work. I ended up needing a pickle-fork to finally separate it. It took two or three sharp blows from the wheel well. I actually put the fork between the tie rod and the screw-type separator.

Edit: I forgot to mention that it leaks with engine off as well as running. I can't tell if it leaks more with engine on, but it leaks profusely while parked.
    Last edited by Avec; 08-01-2011 at 03:36 PM.
    Black on Black 740i - 10/92 build date, 225,000 miles.
    Delphin on Cherry 533i - 4/84 build date, 136,000 miles
    Black on Black 328i - 3/96 build date, 185,000 miles - Sold
    2008 Porsche Cayenne GTS