Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 95 740 EWS module

My Cars
    300zxTT, Q7 4.2 , 750iL
    Well, then there is nothing to code. You have a non-coded box. If you get the same box, it should be plug&play. If the other car has EWS, then it will not work.

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    This is very odd. Ive seen early cars that had 404 DMEs be able to swap modules with no problems as there is no coding required for "operation".

But I was under the impression that all 484 DMEs had EWS thus why they are different part numbers. Maybe yours was replaced and they just didnt code the EWS sync.

But I bet if a 484 was ever synced to a EWS module and you try it in yours, it wont work as its looking for EWS input for the rolling code.

Have you just tried it to see if it starts?
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    BMW 740I e38
    Yeah, it won't crank at all. But isn't it possible to remove the EWS from the "new" DME with NCSexpert?

Anyone know? If not I will have to buy a new brain and get it coded at the dealer.

Which then again is going to set me back 2500$. Almost want to light my car on fire now :@
    Last edited by MrEmo; 08-04-2011 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    300zxTT, Q7 4.2 , 750iL
    And i think you should post what exactly are you trying to fix.
    What is the problem with the car, what does it do with the original box? Why are you trying to replace it? Post as much info as possible.

My Cars
    BMW 740I e38
    I'm trying to fix my DME because something is wrong with it. My car suddenly only fires on 4 cylinders. This can be very random and suddenly it fires on all 8 again. (m60b40)

All the wiring on the car is ok, the earth is ok, the lines for 12v is ok, the signal cables from the DME to the coils are ok. When I the problem was there last time, I unhooked all of the coils on the passenger side and no change in the idle. I hooked them up and unhooked one on the drivers side and I almost couldn't start it up.

There is nothing wrong with the coils they have been swapped around and tested. All the plugs are new(NGK). It can't be fuel supply since it's only one side of the engine and it is not constant it comes and goes. Unless something is stuck in the fuel rail, which is most unlikely.

The MAF has been changed, the o2 sensors has been changed also the catalytic converters. Which I have to change again since they have been glowing red.

My Cars
    300zxTT, Q7 4.2 , 750iL
    So, when they are not firing, is there no spark on those cylinders? No, signal coming to the coils?
    I would suggest you do diagnostic test and read the codes.
    It's possible to be the DME, but unlikely.
    Last edited by toniz; 08-06-2011 at 03:56 AM.

My Cars
    BMW 740I e38
    It's four cylinders on the same side of the engine. What are the possibilities that anything else could cause this? Everything comes from the DME, and I don't think a sensor or something else would say to the brain. "NO now you fire on 4 cylinders! BAD ENGINE!"

If it's gas the signal to the four injectors comes from the dme, if it's coil signal that also comes from the dme. The wiring to and from the brain is allready checked and is ok aswell.

I've gotten some errors on the brain that it's damaged or that if the fault appear again the DME has to be changed. Though I didn't think more about it since we "found" other faults.

My Cars
    95 740i, 89 735i,
    What happened, Im having the same problem build date 11/ 94

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12