Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: A Rare Bird: The E30 Baur

My Cars
    84 Baur 13 335xi 04 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by davey101 View Post
    Ed, what's with the limerock edition m3 plaque? Was that an e92? Totally missed that one. The 700 was a neat little car! The exhaust was pretty comical.

Your car was awesome in person. First e30 baur I've ever seen. The only pictures I took were of the baur roofs and their clamps/attachments...
    Davey
    I sorry I didn't have a chance to talk to you other than saying hello on the way in, Next time we'll have a chance to shoot the sh** a bit, and if you end up in NH come on over anytime.

On the Lime Rock Park edition E92 badge the answer is no there was not one there.
    that pic made it's way into the album accidentally. I work at a BMW dealership and the car came in last week ( I drove it :- )
    here's a link to that album
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...71237775074305
    Thank you for compliment about what I am now calling U-323 due the water intrusion issue I am having with my trunk. if you look back in ITT you'll see what this car looked like when I got it.

@ Jeff
    I love that 700 and I'd drive the hell out of it, This show is a long running one and there are lots of cars and "characters" in attendance I shot 186 pics I narrowed it down to 150 something and I'd say I only took pics of 1/4 ( if that ) of the cars that were there. There is a real mix of vehicles.
    Last edited by THEPOOLEMAN; 10-08-2012 at 07:34 PM.
    Click here to join the Baur international community on G+
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/communit...05332828437111

My Cars
    1982 323i Baur & 6 more
    Great event at Bavarian Auto in Portsmouth NH yesterday: huge turnout, free food, Cancer benefit: a Win win win! Even the weather cooperated!

Great showing by the Northeast '02ers, and a special thanks to them for graciously including our Baurs and other vintage bimmers with their group!

Here is a post on the four Baurs, including Ed P.'s TC2 from NH, and one Baur that may surprise you!! But it looks like you guys may know already. Pics are from a variety of sources, including cbgii from 2002faq, Ed P in here, Brian and myself. Thanks to all!
    http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/201...-bav-auto.html

Davey, I think you may recognize this guy:

It was nice to finally meet you also! Thank you again for those brochures!

Yes, Jeff, that is my son, Brian, in those pics. We had a great time.
    Tom
    SE Connecticut
    1982 323i Baur, 1977 320i (carbed),
    1978 320i (parts)
    1991 325ix 5 speed, 1989 325ix (winter),
    1989 325ic (summer)
    1973 2002 Malaga (with frosting)
    1975 Mercedes W115 300D (The Departed)
    the late 1979 323i Euro (project, Now Departed)

Visit my blog: Baurspotting
    http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/

BWR PWR!

My Cars
    '90 325iX, '15 Fit EX MT
    Quote Originally Posted by THEPOOLEMAN View Post
    Davey
    I sorry I didn't have a chance to talk to you other than saying hello on the way in, Next time we'll have a chance to shoot the sh** a bit, and if you end up in NH come on over anytime.

On the Lime Rock Park edition E92 badge the answer is no there was not one there.
    that pic made it's way into the album accidentally. I work at a BMW dealership and the car came in last week ( I drove it :- )
    here's a link to that album
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...71237775074305
    Thank you for compliment about what I am now calling U-323 due the water intrusion issue I am having with my trunk. if you look back in ITT you'll see what this car looked like when I got it.
    Ya, sorry we didn't chat more. As soon as my group parked we went looking for some of our RI friends. By the time I made it back to the '02's you and Tom had left. Didn't see you guys in the crowd all day actually. I'm up in the Manchester area pretty often so I'll certainly shoot you a message at some point! Looking back on this thread you car certainly has made some strides

Thanks for the info on the LRP M3. That's a wild car, must have been a blast to drive!

Quote Originally Posted by tomscat1 View Post
    Davey, I think you may recognize this guy:

It was nice to finally meet you also! Thank you again for those brochures!
    Haha yup! It was great meeting you Tom. Thanks for the shirt!

My Cars
    84 Baur 13 335xi 04 X3
    Jeff how did make out with your interior light ?

My Cars
    1982 323i Baur & 6 more

The BMW 700 Baur Cabrio at Bavarian Auto Show last Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by tomscat1 View Post
    Congrats to THEPOOLEMAN! He has just been ON FIRE lately with the stuff he has been doing!

First, he found the NH Baur that we have been looking for for about 6 months!
    http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/2012/06/found.html

http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/2012/06/long-sought-new-hampshire-baur.html

Then, a few days later, I posted this, about a BMW 700 Baur that we came across right here in bimmerforums:
    http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/2012/06/bmw-700-baur-in-los-angeles-ca.html
    To which THEPOOLEMAN added this, and more:
    "Tom There is one located in Massachusetts ( greater Boston if not in the city )
    I have pics of it from a show I attended four or five years ago, the pics are on one of my older computers I have been meaning to get fired up and retrieve them pictures. There are also some pics of the white 2002 Baur here in New Hampshire."

"I looked in the old computer and was unable to find them however I was at show and shine ( bav [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]auto [COLOR=blue !important]sport[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] ) and these pics were still up I hope I can use them ???"
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...7#post24489267

Then I posted this from bimmerfest 2009, which shows 3 Baurs: this grey TC2 (below), a red wide body TC2, and a lime green 2002 Targa.
    http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/2012/06/baurs-at-bimmerfest-ca-2009.html

This is the grey TC2:

And THEPOOLEMAN again reaches into his magic hat and comes up with THIS GEM! Check this out!
    http://www.eurotuner.com/featuredvehicles/eurp_0911_1984_bmw_tc_baur_318i/viewall.html

An Unbelieveable run for THEPOOLEMAN! Wow!

Baurspotter of the week: THEPOOLEMAN! Again!

http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/201...l-baur-at.html
    The BMW 700 Baur Cabrio at Bavarian Auto Show last Sunday

We must not forget that the 700 Cabrio is a Baur also!

The BMW 700 is largely credited for saving BMW from being taken over by Mercedes back in the day. It is a fascinating car, famously raced by Hans Stuck, and it was powered by a modified motorcycle engine.
    This example is a Cabrio model, converted by Baur. For me, and for many others, this little car was the hit of the Bavarian Auto Show and Shine on October 7, 2012 in Portsmouth, NH. The catchphrase "Respect Your Elders' was never more appropriately applied, IMHO.

I have put together some info and links, as well as a ton of pics. The attached pic is from Ed P. Thanks, Ed!
    Enjoy!
    http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/201...-show-and.html
    Tom
    SE Connecticut
    1978 320i (parts)
    1989 325ic (summer)

BWR PWR!

My Cars
    '84 320i & 633, 87 325e,
    Tom,

Thanks for all of the photos (and photo links) of these great little cars -- and important pieces of BMW history! I would really like to own one someday.

Jeff
    1984 320i Baur TC2 5-Speed Opalgrün (Jeff's)
    1987 325e Sedan A/T Zinnoberrot (Dawn's)
    1984 633 CSi 5-speed Bronzit (Ours . . . if she says so)

My Cars
    84 Baur 13 335xi 04 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWtyro
    Tom,

Thanks for all of the photos (and photo links) of these great little cars -- and important pieces of BMW history! I would really like to own one someday.

Jeff
    They are cool little cars . Have you seen one in person?

Sent from my XT907 using BF.com
    Last edited by THEPOOLEMAN; 10-10-2012 at 12:07 PM.

My Cars
    '84 320i & 633, 87 325e,
    Ed,

Yes, at an AACA show some years back. I was struck by how much better thought-out and "put together" it was than other tiny cars of that era. I think I could live with a car like that as an occasional driver.

I once owned a King Midget, one of the few U.S.-built micro-cars of the '50s - '60s. Absolutely terrifying car to drive, mostly because of the lack of power (16 hp) and because the steering was so twitchy. At the time my daily car was a 1969 Pontiac Bonneville with 428 cubes; that contrast only served to accentuate the King's inadequacies. I turned around and sold it almost immediately.

Jeff

My 6/83-built 320i's auxiliary radiator cooling fan does not operate, apparently causing some of my fairly-expensive BMW coolant to be forced out of the expansion tank's overflow tube from time to time.

So: I want to fix the fan. Problem(s): the info provided by U.S. Bentley's -- and even the car's own Euro owner's manual -- does not match-up with what I observe about the car itself.

For example, there are no thermo-sensors in the radiator to bypass as a control test according to Bentley's. There is no contact in fuse position 18 which, according the the Euro owner's book, is the high-speed auxiliary fan position.

Were any of these cars ever built without sensors positioned in the radiator, and with only one speed for the electric fan? I am very confused; somebody please point me in the right direction.

Jeff
    Last edited by BMWtyro; 10-10-2012 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    85 323i
    #42792 found, not in the best of shape. has sat for 13 years, i am going to part it out an make sure the baur parts find good home

My Cars
    84 Baur 13 335xi 04 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by biker50610
    #42792 found, not in the best of shape. has sat for 13 years, i am going to part it out an make sure the baur parts find good home
    Where are is car located I might want. The whole car

My Cars
    85 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by THEPOOLEMAN View Post
    Where are is car located I might want. The whole car

it is in nc, pm me

My Cars
    1982 323i Baur & 6 more
    It appears that we have miraculously corrected (thanks to help from Jeff D. and Ed P.) whatever the problem was with the primitive Google map of known and reported Baur TC2s in the US. Folks were having trouble accessing the map at times.

Here is a new link that appears to work properly (so far!):
    https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...d247cd43&msa=0

Please let me know if you have a problem accessing the map.

The map (with corrected link) is also available in the sidebar of my blog "Baurspotting", along with a similar map of the locations of the E21 TC1 Baurs. Scroll way down the sidebar to find it.

And tons of other Baur stuff, of course.

Last edited by tomscat1; 10-19-2012 at 07:42 AM.
    Tom
    SE Connecticut
    1978 320i (parts)
    1989 325ic (summer)

BWR PWR!

My Cars
    '85 323 Baur + 19 other

Hello from Baur Colorado

Thanks for the link to the Baur USA map. Interesting. I ended up paying way less than the Craigslist asking price on my '85 323. The guy in Westminster had listed it on and off for a few months and finally decided that the cars condition and his wallet warranted accepting my offer. Haven't been on the site too much as of late but always find it interesting.
    6pkfursure

My Cars
    1984 BMW 318i TC2

couple of questions

My car has been making a whining noise that seems to be coming from the inline fuel pump. I replaced it but the noise is still there. It doesn't seem to affect the drivability. I can best describe the sound as a hydraulic "pressure" sound - a whine with a "ssshhh" sound like fluid being forced through. Could this be the in-tank pump?

Also the car idles high on start-up and makes a rattling sound for a few seconds. It will stop and I noticed the instant it stops the recirculates air switch illuminates.

If you have any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
    Ross

My Cars
    '84 320i & 633, 87 325e,
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavis96 View Post
    My car has been making a whining noise that seems to be coming from the inline fuel pump. I replaced it but the noise is still there. It doesn't seem to affect the drivability. I can best describe the sound as a hydraulic "pressure" sound - a whine with a "ssshhh" sound like fluid being forced through. Could this be the in-tank pump?

Also the car idles high on start-up and makes a rattling sound for a few seconds. It will stop and I noticed the instant it stops the recirculates air switch illuminates.

If you have any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
    Ross
    Ross,

This is sort of a "blind leading blind" scenario, but the first thing that comes to mind re: the "pressure" sound coming ftom the chassis pump is: do you perhps have a pinched/kinked fuel hose somewhere in the system? If the hose is original; if it is a replacement other than BMW Genuine or SAE 30 R9 FI-grade hose; or if the molded piece of hose down there has been replaced with anything other than a BMW Gen molded hose, it could easily be pinched or kinked. That might indeed cause the swishing sound you describe.

Also, be sure that you car actually has an in-tank pump; mine doesn't, and it apparently never had one! There is only a single three-wire harness leading to a sending unit -- no pump, and I know this for certain because I've had it out of there. On the other hand, if you see the three-wire harness PLUS a two-wire harness going to that point beneath the rear seat, then you do indeed have an in-tank "lifter" pump. In any event, if the health of that chasis pump is the least bit in question, then replace it now.

As far as the other problem goes: are you perhaps trying to start the car with the A/C and recirc engaged? Yes, that will no doubt cause a rattle.

On the other hand, if the recirc light comes on spontaneously upon startup and both it and the A/C are off, I might suggest an exorcism . . .

Jeff

My Cars
    1984 BMW 318i TC2
    I was curious about the length of the hose that connects the "absorber" and the inlet to the chassis pump. Mine is pretty short to the point that it makes a fairly extreme bend. But I got on the Penske Parts site and looked at the parts diagram and it looks correct. I would think that a restricted line would cause other problems besides making noise. Any idea what this "absorber" does and could it be bad?

So the recirulated air switch should always be off before you start the vehicle? I didn't know that.

Thanks,
    Ross

My Cars
    '84 320i & 633, 87 325e,
    Ross,

The absorber is a completely passive device; I wouldn't suspect it of any porblems.

Check the date codes on your hoses; if they are more than five years old, replace them -- and if there is no date code, replace them!

Most owners incorrectly assume that the tank must be removed to replace the 12mm hose which runs from the tank pick-up to the absorber, so it rarely gets replaced. Acutally, it is quite easy to replace by simply hooking one end of the new hose to the other end of the old one (at the tank outlet) and pulling them both over the top of the tank and down to the absorber. It's good insurnace to replace old hoses -- just sayin'.

Unless there is some restriction in the system, then you most likely have a failing pump. BTW, if you replace the hoses and/or the pump, and the car has no in-tank pump, you may have to prime the chassis pump to get it to start; I know that I did.

Jeff

My Cars
    1984 BMW 318i TC2
    I replaced the chassis pump yesterday because I assumed the pump was going bad. So since its still making the noise it can't be the chassis pump. I haven't confirmed that I have a tank lift pump but I assume so because I didn't prime the chassis pump and the car started and ran fine. I'm beginning to wonder if the absorber is causing the problem. I did some Googling and found out most people just remove it when it gets old and rusty. Apparently all it does is dampen the noise when the chassis pump pulses. Since it doesn't seem to perform a vital function in terms of fuel delivery I think I'll just remove it and see what happens.

If I'm reading the parts diagram correctly the line coming from the tank is 12mm (inside diameter). Is the small line going into the pump 8mm?

BTW - I have the previous owner's maintenance records that show the tank was cleaned and the lift pump was replaced about 5,000 miles ago.

My Cars
    '84 320i & 633, 87 325e,
    Ross,

Could you be sucking air from upstream of the chassis pump? Clearly you shouldn't be if the in-tank pump is working properly. And yes, IIRC the hose going into the pump is 12mm, the molded hose coming out of the pump is 8mm.

I can tell you this: the chassis pump on my wife's U.S.-spec 325e (which is augmented by an in-tank pump) makes a racket like a vacuum cleaner (or perhaps an espresso maker) and has done so for the past two years with no failure.

One more thing: after studying the Penske diagrams, I'm not sure that the absorber is indeed neccessary -- but the molded hose which runs between the pump and the filter is.

I hope some of this hleps.

Jeff

My Cars
    1984 BMW 318i TC2
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWtyro
    Ross,

Could you be sucking air from upstream of the chassis pump? Clearly you shouldn't be if the in-tank pump is working properly. And yes, IIRC the hose going into the pump is 12mm, the molded hose coming out of the pump is 8mm.

I can tell you this: the chassis pump on my wife's U.S.-spec 325e (which is augmented by an in-tank pump) makes a racket like a vacuum cleaner (or perhaps an espresso maker) and has done so for the past two years with no failure.

One more thing: after studying the Penske diagrams, I'm not sure that the absorber is indeed neccessary -- but the molded hose which runs between the pump and the filter is.

I hope some of this hleps.

Jeff
    I'm not sure my hose is molded. It just looks like a short piece of regular hose. I think my noise is worse than yours. It sounds like a vacuum on steroids.

My Cars
    '84 320i & 633, 87 325e,
    Ross,

That is my point: if you don’t see a molded hose running from the pump output to the absorber or the filter, then the straight hose that was used to replace it is probably kinked internally and could be the source of your swishing noise.

I think that the molded hose costs around six bucks – it is worth it to find out if that solves it, and to be certain that it does not fail.

Jeff

My Cars
    1984 BMW 318i TC2
    OK I see what you're saying.

Just for grins I pulled the back seat cushion and I definitely have a lift pump.

Thanks for the info.

My Cars
    '84 320i & 633, 87 325e,
    [QUOTE=rdavis96;25334606]
    Just for grins I pulled the back seat cushion and I definitely have a lift pump.[QUOTE]

Now I'm jealous!

Jeff

My Cars
    1984 BMW 318i TC2
    Oh, and the short hose is molded. Beginning to suspect the lift pump screen is restricted. Will dig into that later this week!

My Cars
    '84 320i & 633, 87 325e,
    Ross,

You may be onto something there; good thinking.

While you have the pick-up unit out of the tank, be sure to check that nothing about it appears loose or corroded, hence potentially sucking air when the fuel is at a certain level.

Jeff

Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast