Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast

Thread: A Rare Bird: The E30 Baur

My Cars
    84 Baur 13 335xi 04 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by tomscat1 View Post
    We have that one here, along with a bunch more:
    http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/p/non-bmw-baur-or-baur-type-top.html

Nice to hear from you, ThePooleman! One of these days I will have to get up to that Bav auto show!

Jeroen,

I have no other info on that Baur, yet. I will work on it, however.
    are you going to Guten Fest May 20th In Jersy I am going to try to make it this year.
    I am researching baur type roof I find something no one else has!

I found the Bristol 412 coupe produced from 1975 to 1982
    Just a little Baur influence

The attached image did come through. Here's a link
    http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/phot...412_photo.aspx
    Last edited by THEPOOLEMAN; 03-29-2012 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Click here to join the Baur international community on G+
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/communit...05332828437111

My Cars
    1982 323i Baur & 6 more
    Quote Originally Posted by THEPOOLEMAN View Post
    are you going to Guten Fest May 20th In Jersy I am going to try to make it this year.
    I am researching baur type roof I find something no one else has!

I found the Bristol 412 coupe produced from 1975 to 1982
    Just a little Baur influence

The attached image did come through. Here's a link
    http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/phot...412_photo.aspx
    Nice find!!! Thanks for posting!
    It is up on Baurspotting now, too, credited to you!

Lots of pics of other Baur-type cars from that era, also:
    http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/p/n...-type-top.html

I hadn't heard about the Guten Fest in New Jersey. I will have to look into it.

Jeff, is this Guten Fest connected to the parts guy you have mentioned here? 'GutenParts.com of NJ'
    Last edited by tomscat1; 03-29-2012 at 08:30 PM.
    Tom
    SE Connecticut
    1982 323i Baur, 1977 320i (carbed),
    1978 320i (parts)
    1991 325ix 5 speed, 1989 325ix (winter),
    1989 325ic (summer)
    1973 2002 Malaga (with frosting)
    1975 Mercedes W115 300D (The Departed)
    the late 1979 323i Euro (project, Now Departed)

Visit my blog: Baurspotting
    http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/

BWR PWR!

My Cars
    '84 320i & 633, 87 325e,
    I'm not sure,Tom; I'll ask him.

Jeff
    1984 320i Baur TC2 5-Speed Opalgrün (Jeff's)
    1987 325e Sedan A/T Zinnoberrot (Dawn's)
    1984 633 CSi 5-speed Bronzit (Ours . . . if she says so)

My Cars
    84 Baur 13 335xi 04 X3
    Yes Levent is hosting this

My Cars
    325iX Baur & more
    Someone ever changed his dash? Well, I did it today

And a picture of yesterday, was a BMW-meet in Gilze, Netherlands, with about 80 older BMW's (E12/E21/E23/E24/E30/E34 and the old '02s+).
    Waiting for the rest

Ah, there they are!

Ever seen something like this?

Gr Jeroen

My Cars
    '84 320i & 633, 87 325e,
    Jeroen,
    You are one dedicated Bimmerhead to tackle that dashboard project; that is really an in-depth effort!

Re the touring: it appears to be a 5-series, and to be custom-built rather than a factory effort . . . yes?

TO THE BAUR THREAD PARTICIPANTS AT LARGE:
    I posted the below-linked questions pertaining to Euro E30s on the main E30 forum, but got no response from anyone but The Pooleman (thanks, Pooleman). I am linking instead of copying-and-pasting becasue there are attached photos involved. Can anyone here provide some answers? Feel free to answer me on that thread if you prefer.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1814623

Thanks.

Jeff
    Last edited by BMWtyro; 04-02-2012 at 06:37 PM.

My Cars
    84 Baur 13 335xi 04 X3
    Looks like my car did about a year ago well worth it in the end
    here's a link to full project
    Enjoy !
    https://plus.google.com/photos/10503...24802778116929
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by THEPOOLEMAN; 04-02-2012 at 06:52 PM. Reason: forgot the link

My Cars
    '84 320i & 633, 87 325e,
    Pooleman,
    I see by your photos that you went with the batteryless S.I. board as I did. How do you like yours? I don't know how mine performs yet since I don't have the car back together yet.

I really dig that M-technic fabric pattern on the door cards! Could you actually order them that way?!?

Jeff

My Cars
    84 Baur 13 335xi 04 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWtyro View Post
    Pooleman,
    I see by your photos that you went with the batteryless S.I. board as I did. How do you like yours? I don't know how mine performs yet since I don't have the car back together yet.

I really dig that M-technic fabric pattern on the door cards! Could you actually order them that way?!?

Jeff
    I had removed the Varta SP 500 which were the factory installed originals 26 years old and leaked acid on the board and destroyed it ! I cleaned the board with baking soda and distilled water past and cleaned it with alcohol however the traces were too far gone. The board is NLA from BMW ( or so I am told ) I did a google part # search and I found a guy in the UK who has NOS replacements I ordered a new one from him and when it got here I was surprised to see that BMW had updated the board to the newer lithium batteries and coated circuit board. List on the replacement from BMW was around $500.00 I paid $245 + shipping.
    The door cards in my car came out of a 1991 M Technic convertible I found them 12 years ago in a junk yard in Leominster Massachusetts and I paid $125.00 for them that also included the leather arm rests, the door panels have been in the last three E30's I have owned !
    The M-Tex cloth was available in the M Technic verts and the M3s . I am not sure if you order it in any other vehicles and it was not offered in 1985
    Last edited by THEPOOLEMAN; 04-03-2012 at 07:12 AM. Reason: added content

My Cars
    '84 320i & 633, 87 325e,
    Pooleman,

My mistake; I thought your S.I. board was completely batteryless as is mine. It uses capacitors to do the job which the batteries once performed (at least, that is how it is supposed to work). I paid around $150 for it from GutenParts.com in NJ.

Jeff

My Cars
    84 Baur 13 335xi 04 X3
    Pooleman,

My mistake; I thought your S.I. board was completely batteryless as is mine. It uses capacitors to do the job which the batteries once performed (at least, that is how it is supposed to work). I paid around $150 for it from GutenParts.com in NJ.

Jeff
    It was project to find that board, had I known Levent had another solution I may have gone that route!

Quote Originally Posted by Baur View Post
    Someone ever changed his dash? Well, I did it today

And a picture of yesterday, was a BMW-meet in Gilze, Netherlands, with about 80 older BMW's (E12/E21/E23/E24/E30/E34 and the old '02s+).
    Waiting for the rest

Ah, there they are!

Ever seen something like this?

Gr Jeroen
    Jeroen, is that a E28 or E12 Wagon ? whatever it is it's very cool
    Last edited by THEPOOLEMAN; 04-03-2012 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    83 323i TC Baur
    Hi Guys!

Jeff: I wish I could help with the questions you posed in the other thread. I just don't know. If you're doing what I think you're doing (and perhaps what many others who no longer have to keep their car 'federalized'), you are looking to restore it to original configuration w/o all the US federalization add-ons. I am thinking of doing the same thing to my m20b23 too -- but it's more difficult than it seems. First, doesn't seem like there was a "standard" federalization process. In other words, I think each importer may have done different things. I have a small plastic box (screwed to firewall just behind intake manifold) and it has wires going back to the ecu/dme. I would like to unplug them and see what happens... I have no idea what those wires are for... One good way of doing things "may" be to look at photos of untouched euro motors. I think Jeroen sent you a photo (to show the mass air flow) of a m20b20 -- maybe take a good look at that engine and see what's added and/or what's missing on your engine?

Jeroen/Pooleman: I give you guys credit. I would need some serious help keeping track of all of those wiring harnesses/ connections!! The PO of my car had the shop replace the dash (after theft attempt) and that may explain why wires are such a mess below/above steering column. Thanks for the photos, Jeroen.

Update on my car: It was smoking very bad last week. I replaced the oil/filter and did a BG Compression Restoration treatment at the time (anyone have experience with this stuff?). It helped, but not that much. I'm now deciding to either: 1) live with the smoking/ keep eye on oil level OR 2) swap engine/drivetrain with 325i (I know a shop with complete running car) OR 3) rebuilt entire motor. I'm leaning to # 1 or 2. I do not have the money right now, but # 2 would be less than 3 and I would get Motronic. Downside is it would no longer be original. (as soon as I learn how, I will send video of smoking both before and after oil change and BG compression restoration treatment).

Best,
    Tom

My Cars
    '84 320i & 633, 87 325e,
    TomDC,

Regarding the inconsistency in the Federalization process: yes, I'm finding that out -- wow, what a mess. The plastic box on your firewall may be a supplemental computer for the O2 sensor they were supposed to add to the exhaust system, since the original Euro DME wasn't coded for it. I say that as if I know what I'm talking about, but this is only what I have been told. I have also been told that, since that box is not apparent on my car, it is probably mounted atop the original DME above the glove box (I haven't yet checked).

The more I look at that vacuum reservoir on the firewall and its hookups, the more I suspect that it may be for use with my add-on A/C rather than an emissions component. A hose exits the reservoir and enters the cockpit on the driver's side. From there, I cannot tell where it runs without more disassembly of the dash than I feel comfortable performing (I wish Jeroen or Pooleman lived closer!).

Speaking of add-on A/C: Jenka at BimmerGuts in MO tells me that ALL of the early-production cars such as ours came without A/C, so if you see one so equipped it has been field-converted -- and that the story there is similar to the Federalization discrepancies: "no two alike". Perhaps this applies only to all of the Euro cars; not sure.

Re the smoking: have you replaced your PCV hose yet? This is the hose which runs from near the rear of the valve cover, beneath the intake manifold, and into the rear of the throttle body. It is usually hard as a rock and partially or entirely stopped-up if it has not recently been changed, and I can't imagine such a condition NOT contributing to a smoking problem. Sometimes the "labyrinth" on the bottom of the valve cover which serves as a PCV valve is pretty stopped-up as well.

Jeff

My Cars
    84 Baur 13 335xi 04 X3
    TomDC,

Regarding the inconsistency in the Federalization process: yes, I'm finding that out -- wow, what a mess. The plastic box on your firewall may be a supplemental computer for the O2 sensor they were supposed to add to the exhaust system, since the original Euro DME wasn't coded for it. I say that as if I know what I'm talking about, but this is only what I have been told. I have also been told that, since that box is not apparent on my car, it is probably mounted atop the original DME above the glove box (I haven't yet checked).

The more I look at that vacuum reservoir on the firewall and its hookups, the more I suspect that it may be for use with my add-on A/C rather than an emissions component. A hose exits the reservoir and enters the cockpit on the driver's side. From there, I cannot tell where it runs without more disassembly of the dash than I feel comfortable performing (I wish Jeroen or Pooleman lived closer!).

Speaking of add-on A/C: Jenka at BimmerGuts in MO tells me that ALL of the early-production cars such as ours came without A/C, so if you see one so equipped it has been field-converted -- and that the story there is similar to the Federalization discrepancies: "no two alike". Perhaps this applies only to all of the Euro cars; not sure.

Re the smoking: have you replaced your PCV hose yet? This is the hose which runs from near the rear of the valve cover, beneath the intake manifold, and into the rear of the throttle body. It is usually hard as a rock and partially or entirely stopped-up if it has not recently been changed, and I can't imagine such a condition NOT contributing to a smoking problem. Sometimes the "labyrinth" on the bottom of the valve cover which serves as a PCV valve is pretty stopped-up as well.

Jeff
    The A/C was dealer installed and it came in kit form with the additional blower motor and the silly grill that covered the hole and newly added blower,
    It was installed in my car and inop when I bought it I tried to revive it and after some research found out it was the same kit used in the E21 ( on the early E30s ) I removed all of it ! and replaced the center console .
    If you look closely at the pics of Dash ripped out you'll see a black box on the passengers side floor that is the Lambada sensor you spoke of. I hope I never to find one of those !
    I don't recall having that canister but it does make sense it could be part of the Evap?
    I'll come down and replace your dash anytime . Have multi meter will travel !
    Tom BG products have a good rep I know that a local Chevy dealer uses them and I have good things about them from one of the service writers I know.
    Last edited by THEPOOLEMAN; 04-03-2012 at 11:34 PM. Reason: typo

My Cars
    325iX Baur & more
    It's an E28 wagon, original Dutch car.

About the A/C; the one with the single button (only cooling) and the one with two (cooling & recirculation). For as far as I know is the single button always aftermarket. But if the two button-A/C was already an option in '83 is not known to me.

My red Baur had A/C, but as you can see; you don't see anything of it with the dash out. The unit in front of the passenger seat belongs to the cruise control.

Gr Jeroen

My Cars
    84 Baur 13 335xi 04 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by Baur View Post
    It's an E28 wagon, original Dutch car.

About the A/C; the one with the single button (only cooling) and the one with two (cooling & recirculation). For as far as I know is the single button always aftermarket. But if the two button-A/C was already an option in '83 is not known to me.

My red Baur had A/C, but as you can see; you don't see anything of it with the dash out. The unit in front of the passenger seat belongs to the cruise control.

Gr Jeroen
    Jeroen, I thought it was E-28 it is very cool !
    My information about came from the shop foreman at Tulley BMW in Nashua NH I had my E90 in for service and I picked his brain about the systems installed in the early E30s He had just installed a kit in a car so it was fresh in his mind.
    So it was an aftermarket kit offered from BMW ?

My Cars
    83 323i TC Baur
    Jeff: I pulled the plugs (about 6 wires) on the supplemental oxygen sensor and no difference in the engine running. I notice I also have an extra blower connected to the exhaust header BUT no belt connected to it! I guess I can take that off too.

Still trying to upload video of exhaust smoke...

My Cars
    1982 323i Baur & 6 more

Another unusual wagon: E9 3.0Si Bavaria

Sam Smith, columnist for Roundel, just posted this today:

"E9/3.0Si/Bavaria wagon! With a manual! And right-hand drive! Made in England, one of 20, but currently in Illinois"

Sam Smith was guest speaker, along with rally driver Bill Caswell, at our annual BMCCA Chapter meeting in January. A great pair!
    http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/2012/01/bill-caswell-and-sam-smith-at-ct-valley.html

http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/2012/01/st-caswellsmiths-day-speech.html

Correction that is an E3!
    Last edited by tomscat1; 04-05-2012 at 05:32 PM.
    Tom
    SE Connecticut
    1978 320i (parts)
    1989 325ic (summer)

BWR PWR!

My Cars
    84 Baur 13 335xi 04 X3
    Tom that is one cool wagon.

Here's a link to a E23 733i wagon that was for sale on E-Bay, in 2000 Located in Newton Massachusetts The car was 1 of two made for the Frankfort Auto show
    http://jalopnik.com/5694763/chasing-...+two-bmw-wagon
    Last edited by THEPOOLEMAN; 04-05-2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: content

My Cars
    '84 320i & 633, 87 325e,
    Quote Originally Posted by TomDC View Post
    Jeff: I pulled the plugs (about 6 wires) on the supplemental oxygen sensor and no difference in the engine running. I notice I also have an extra blower connected to the exhaust header BUT no belt connected to it! I guess I can take that off too.

Still trying to upload video of exhaust smoke...
    TomDC,
    That "blower" hooked up to the exhaust manifold must be an air injection reactor device. Interestingly, as far as I know there was never an AIR pump used on a U.S. E30.

My initial reaction is to say "Sure, go ahead and remove it and the O2 sensor along with its little computer", but I think that I would perhaps get the opinion of Lothar or some other local BMW sage before proceeding; it may be more involved than is obvious.

Tomscat,
    That Bavaria wagon is really appealing; I especially like what appears to be the 2002 Touring-style liftgate. It almost appears to have been factory-built, but the sharp-cornered rear side glass framing which doesn't quite fit gives away its custom-made origins. I know, I know: it is no worse than some of the stuff Baur did.

However did you coax the irrepressible Mr. Smith to speak at your CCA Chapter meeting? We might enjoy doing that down here if it is possible. So how did you approach him about it? And did it cost a lot to schedule him, or did he do it gratis?

Jeff

My Cars
    1982 323i Baur & 6 more

Baur For Sale in Virginia

Ok, so this is a TC1 Baur, but for anyone interested in a Baur project......

http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/p/baurs-for-sale.html

.... this may be worth a look!

Springfield, VA.
    Tom
    SE Connecticut
    1978 320i (parts)
    1989 325ic (summer)

BWR PWR!

My Cars
    '84 320i & 633, 87 325e,
    To any Baur (or Euro) owners:

I have two aftermarket sets of two relays under my dash. One appears to be hooked-up to the parking lamp circuit. The other relays are connected to one set of wires which runs to toward the rear of the car on the left side, and one set which runs toward the rear right. This latter system of wires appeared to be live when I checked them several months ago.

There were several other wires attached to each of those relays, but they all seemed to run to an aftermarket alarm system which died and was disconnected long ago. Since I was tired of all that needless and very unprofessionally-installed wiring cluttering up my dash, while it was already apart I removed those wires from anything to which they ran -- including the two relay clusters. Since my car is currently "apart", I don't know if I inadvertently disconnected "something important" since I can't put power to the electrical system.

The relays attached to the parking light circuit almost have to be part of a system to supplant the Euro lights with dual-purpose U.S. park/turn signals, but why would they be wired into an alarm system? About the other relay set I have no clue. I would love to remove these relays altogether, but I’m not sure that is wise.

Before I take photos, reduce their size and post them (a hassle), does any of this sound familiar? And if so, what did you and what did you not disconnect?

Jeff

My Cars
    84 Baur 13 335xi 04 X3
    jeff,
    Having replaced my dash just year age I remember only having two relays under the dash one for the turn signals (steering column see pic ) the other one is for the ac on the passengers side.
    My car however is a non pwr windows. pwr locks no heated seats and no alarm.
    do you have a wiring diagrams ? if you don't I can scan and e-mail mine to you.
    Ed

Last edited by THEPOOLEMAN; 04-08-2012 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '84 320i & 633, 87 325e,
    Ed,

The relays beneath my dash have clearly been added after the fact . . . but yes, I would really like to have a copy of the wiring diagram! Someone sent such a diagram to me, but it is printed in German and I cannot make head nor tail from it.

My car is very basic as well; it has only add-on BMW A/C, and I don't think the relays in question pertain to it. I suspect these relays were installed either for purposes of Federalization or to allow for installation of the aftermarket burglar alarm. I simply need to see how much they have been "integrated" into the harness before proceeding.

This may have nothing to do with the relays, but did you happen to find a curious little black Bosch switch with a tiny singular white button zip-tied to the top of your steering column beneath the plastic cover? I did; it had already been disconnected, so I removed it.

Oh, and your pics unfortunately did not come through.

Jeff
    Last edited by BMWtyro; 04-08-2012 at 11:52 PM.

My Cars
    325iX Baur & more

Gr Jeroen

Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast