Thread: Clutch stop mod

My Cars
    '94 325ic

Clutch stop mod

Using 2" fender washers, 2 part epoxy (I like rezolin A+B ) a bolt that fits your floor threads (take OEM plastic one with you to match) a nut and you have a new clutch pedal stop. I used Rhino on the face for contact.
    Last edited by freddybeemer100; 07-29-2011 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

My Cars
    e84, e36, e21
    Definitely a great cheap mod. I made one of these and installed it when I did my short shifter and new shift bushings. Felt like a new car.

My Cars
    e46
    so what exactly does this do and whats the point?

My Cars
    e84, e36, e21
    It limits the throw of the clutch pedal so you don't have to press it all the way to the floor. You set the height of the clutch stop so the pedal stops just past the release point.

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328I Coupe
    We just have to be careful not to shorten the clutch pedal course to much, so the gears can be engaged properly, without cause any damage. But it is a good idea, we just have to know how far we can go.

My Cars
    95 325i, 96 & 97 328i
    DIY info please!

Drift Sluts

My Cars
    1996 328i
    i think there was a mod for this that used an actual screw, think it was called an elevator screw so it would be a bit more sturdy. I would just be afraid of the torque on the washer if the pedal doesnt hit directly head on. imo. but ill try to find the post.

idk if im supposed to post from other forums....but i just decided to copy and paste. there are two different posts...relatively the same thing i think tho ones just more in depth with pictures.

Here is my DIY...

First go to your local hardware store...

Go to the bold section and find the elevator bolts...

Open the drawer...

Find the right size...

Grab the bolt..

Then walk over to the other aisle and find a product called "grippers"

The only things you need...

The mod was so cheap I payed in change...

I assembled this mod as I was walking to my car...
    Take the sticker off one of the grippers and place the flat part of the elephant bolt on the sticky side of the gripper, it should look like this...

Unscrew the old clutch stop...
    The new clutch stop is much longer which eliminates the dead zone

Now screw in the new clutch stop and drive home, it takes a little getting used to but it feels 100% better.

OR

Ok so after reading all these threads about clutch stops I decided to give it a shot... I have an 01 325xi (sedan) so I don't knowhow many other applications this will work PERFECTLY for but it should work on all begining E46's til mid 01 in the sedans. (the coupe may be a little different but not much and the post-mid 01's I don't know how much play you have with the magnetic switch so you should experiment a little). I ran to Lowes right by work and played around for about an hour on my lunch break until I finaly found the perfect things. You need 2 parts, no glue, and less then 30 seconds install time. Part #1 is in the drawers with all the other bolts, its called an "Elevator Bolt" 3/8" x 1 1/2" it is blackish in color (price $0.97). Part #2 is a few isles over in the adhesive bumpers for furniture, its called "Grippers" 1 1/2" Self-Stick the part # is "7384" from SoftTouch (price $3.04). The grippers package has 8 little discs in it so you can make 8 clutch stops

Assembly: Take elevator bolt out of package. Take 1 disc out of package. Remove sticker covering adhesive from disc. Center disc on elevator bolt and press on.

Installation: unscrew your factory clutch stop by hand (the black thing behind your clutch pedal on the floorboard). Screw in your newly assembled one all the way (just hand tight you don't need to wrench tighten it it isnt going anywhere)

You're done. No glues, no mess, etc. This setup is the perfect height, it doesn't require any adjustment of the clutch switch for the ignition (my car doesn't have cruise so can't test that obviously). The best part about this is it looks a lot more professional then most of the homemade ones i've seen pictures of on these boards. Enjoy.

Being less then $5 and less then 30 seconds of install time (and probably less then 2 minutes of shopping time now that I told you all the part numbers) you should have NO reason to not go do this right now... I was kinda skeptical but this has been the best mod for the money anywhere.
    Attached Thumbnails

however, i just realized that this was for the e46 but im pretty sure that they are interchangeable b/w the e36 as well...correct me if im wrong.
    Last edited by spidur; 07-29-2011 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost