Thread: Installing a new top, rivet sizes?

My Cars
    '94 325i vert

Installing a new top, rivet sizes?

Hey all,
    Im gonna be replaceing my top here in a couple days. I already have the top, got it off of topsonline. I cant seem to find a decent DIY or any info really on what replacing a top entails. Im kind of going into this blind but its not the first time Ive done something like this. Anyway, on to my question. What size rivets do I need to install the new top? Everyone just says that I will need 2 sizes but noone seems to know the sizes. Im planning on picking up an assortment but I really have no idea what I need. Any hint or point in the right direction would be great. If the info is good enough I might even make a DIY on this. Assuming I dont forget to lol

My Cars
    E36
    Please post any DIY info you find...Im looking at doing this soon, too. Thanks! Wish I could help more!
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    '98 328i convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by Found94 View Post
    Hey all,
    Im gonna be replaceing my top here in a couple days. I already have the top, got it off of topsonline. I cant seem to find a decent DIY or any info really on what replacing a top entails. Im kind of going into this blind but its not the first time Ive done something like this. Anyway, on to my question. What size rivets do I need to install the new top? Everyone just says that I will need 2 sizes but noone seems to know the sizes. Im planning on picking up an assortment but I really have no idea what I need. Any hint or point in the right direction would be great. If the info is good enough I might even make a DIY on this. Assuming I dont forget to lol
    I just had an assortment. Don't remember what sizes I used. Here is the thread when I did mine:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...1299883&page=2
    Last edited by 110reef; 07-28-2011 at 10:15 AM.
    - Ken -

My Cars
    '94 325i vert
    Moron, this will be my first write up so Ill do my best but I wouldnt expect anything amazing.

Reef, thank you! I remember seeing that post but I could not find it. Anything will help me, thanks again.

My Cars
    '98 328i convertible
    Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
    - Ken -

My Cars
    1998 m3 vert
    I had an assortment as well....I believe I used 1/8" and 5/32"
    The factory ones are metric but I had no luck finding them anywhere local.
    The real trick was finding a rivet gun to fit in the side channels. I had to grind down a cheap one to get it in there.

My Cars
    '94 325i vert
    I just finished installing the top the other day. Unfortunatly, as with most projects, I start off taking pics and recording things and then get carried away and forget. Having said that the install was not as hard as I had imagined. I plan on posting a basic DIY in the next few days.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318ic
    I just finished installing the top the other day. Unfortunatly, as with most projects, I start off taking pics and recording things and then get carried away and forget. Having said that the install was not as hard as I had imagined. I plan on posting a basic DIY in the next few days.
    I'm curious to how long it took you to complete the top replacement? I'm still trying to get enough time during weekend to get this thing done on mine. thanks..

My Cars
    '94 325i vert
    All in all about 7 hours. I let the top stretch for a few days before I glued it but it took about 6 hours to get the old one off and the new one on. Its really not that hard it just takes time. I havent had time to post the DIY I want to make but Ill get it up as soon as I can

BTW to anyone has done a top replacement, did your not line up just right? The seam on the rear bar isnt actually on the rear bar, its slightly in front of it and the rest of the cloth peices that get glued on are progressively off from the front back. Did my top not stretch properly or is it just made a little off?
    Last edited by Found94; 09-23-2011 at 01:27 AM.

My Cars
    '98 328i convertible
    All in all about 7 hours. I let the top stretch for a few days before I glued it but it took about 6 hours to get the old one off and the new one on. Its really not that hard it just takes time. I havent had time to post the DIY I want to make but Ill get it up as soon as I can

BTW to anyone has done a top replacement, did your not line up just right? The seam on the rear bar isnt actually on the rear bar, its slightly in front of it and the rest of the cloth peices that get glued on are progressively off from the front back. Did my top not stretch properly or is it just made a little off?
    Mine fit perfectly.
    - Ken -

My Cars
    99 M3 Vert, 00 323 sedan
    I'm just about to replace a top, Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
    What kind/size of rivets ? Still not sure where these are
    What kind of Glue/adhesive should I use?
    My other car needs some glue/adhesive around rear plastic window edge (Frayed at folding/bend point) Plastic window is still good though
    has anyone managed to glue/repair this area, I would think a glue that remains flexible...but what kind.
    Camments are

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    3m weather strip adhesive is rated for high temps, sets fast and works well...
    BMWCCA 149159

My Cars
    97 318-I convertible
    Can you tell me what kind of rivet gun to install convertible top 318-i for side windows grove? Most appreciated. Rick

- - - Updated - - -

Can you tell me what kind of rivet gun to install convertible top 318-i for side windows grove? Most appreciated. Rick

- - - Updated - - -

Can you tell me what kind of rivet gun to install convertible top 318-i bmw for side windows grove? Most appreciated. Rick

- - - Updated - - -

Can you tell me what kind of rivet gun to install convertible top 318-i bmw for side windows grove? Most appreciated. Rick

My Cars
    '98 328i convertible
    Use a normal rivet. Use a metal tube, one that will fit in the slot and around the rivet shank, and be shorter than the rivet shank, slip it over the rivet shank and attach the gun.
    Last edited by 110reef; 07-02-2018 at 04:47 PM.
    - Ken -

My Cars
    '94 318ic, '00 323it
    I used sheet metal screws as a rivet alternative for the end of the tension strap and the tabs at the end of the replacement top. I think the matching size was 5 or 6 mm.
    Alpine 318ic FTMFW!