Thread: Do any of you do this bitcoin stuff?

My Cars
    '21 X3M

Do any of you do this bitcoin stuff?

So a friend of mine told me about this bitcoin thing a few months ago or so. I didn't really pay any attention to it at the time. He started with 1 video card and a shitty computer, and now he just bought this...

My Cars
    Picture is blocked by my work firewall, what is it?

I heard about this the other day. Some blog suggested it as currency when the US economy crashes since it isn't backed by anything

My Cars
    '21 X3M
    it's a picture of like 90 5830 video cards and other assorted parts.

My Cars
    1987 635csi
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc_it View Post
    Picture is blocked by my work firewall, what is it?

I heard about this the other day. Some blog suggested it as currency when the US economy crashes since it isn't backed by anything
    As far as I understand it, he's using a shit-ton of video cards to do computations for the Bitcoin provider, and in return is being paid in Bitcoins for every "block" of hashes that is solved. As with other things, though, it's apparently getting harder and harder to make money as more people do it and the cost of running a computer 24/7 for it (in terms of power) is making it only slightly profitable without some insane rig.

My Cars
    E39 540i/6
    No idea what it is but I'm gonna check it out.

My Cars
    yes
    after pissing around with this for 2 hours I gave up. Too much work for little reward. People who got in on this early might have made some money, but like Mack said there is nothing left to be made without running a killer rig 24/7. Thanks but I'd rather not fry my graphics card for a couple bucks.

My Cars
    96 328is, 01 M5
    ^^ I just briefly searched and it looks pretty complicated to get started.. Am I assuming correctly? How much do you make roughly, for an average computer per day?

^^ Really old picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
    I am going to make a bold claim, that the f30 is this millenium's e30...... god needed a new chariot, he decided to upgrade to something thats not falling apart and making farting noises down the street having satan laughing at him.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkchaser View Post
    Idiocracy was supposed to be cautionary tale, not a prophecy.

My Cars
    95M3, 78 T/A
    Quote Originally Posted by robisconfusedd View Post
    ^^ I just briefly searched and it looks pretty complicated to get started.. Am I assuming correctly? How much do you make roughly, for an average computer per day?
    If you haven't gotten into it 6 months ago you then it isn't worth it to start. There are a finite number of bitcoins and each one is getting more complicated to process and requires more work from each PC to create. If you just heard about it now, you're late to the game. Go invest in bitcoins if you like but for now I don't see the point with so many people mining these days.

95'///M3 Cosmos Black with AA intake, Gen III Exhaust, AA chip, BMP Front strut bar, Koni S/A's, H&R OE springs.
    Origin ID: RomCommm

My Cars
    6sp '05 M3 Convertible
    As someone who works in finance and has read up a lot on bitcoins, I can say pretty confidently that it's not worth the time. Totally illiquid market, no central bank to back it up. Can't persist as a real currency.

Anybody with an Nvidia card is SOL when it comes to bitcoin mining. See here: http://hardocp.com/article/2011/07/1...e_comparison/2

Tor isn't anonymous. The government can still track you. Bitcoins can be stolen from you and you have NO recourse. A guy had tens of thousands of bitcoins stolen from him recently because he got hacked. He's fucked. With a real currency at a bank, the bank covers that (well it wouldn't be hacked in the first place).

Red '05 M3 Convertible - 6sp.

My Cars
    3 Hondas, 3 Chevys.
    So people make dedicated rigs to "mine" a virtual currency in case the U.S. currency completely crashes?

How is mining done, exactly? I've never heard of any of this but it sounds interesting.

EJ8-Squad Ride of the Month April 2009/2010/2012. EJ8-Squad Ride of the Year 2010. Super Street Magazine Grassroots Feature April 2011.
    "When you know you're losing an argument online, correct their grammer."

My Cars
    yes
    you download a mining software, then connect to a server and run either your CPU or preferably GPU and slowly generate bitcoins. Read the two posts above yours before you get excited.

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    Something that I couldn't quite figure out from all the reading: Is the computation that's being done for the mining actually good for anything? It it solving any real problems, cracking the Enigma code, searching for extraterrestrial life? Or is it just computing for computing's sake, a big e-peen measuring contest, in which whoever has the biggest video card gets the most imaginary currency?

My Cars
    6sp '05 M3 Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
    Something that I couldn't quite figure out from all the reading: Is the computation that's being done for the mining actually good for anything? It it solving any real problems, cracking the Enigma code, searching for extraterrestrial life? Or is it just computing for computing's sake, a big e-peen measuring contest, in which whoever has the biggest video card gets the most imaginary currency?
    For the moment, the currency can be used to buy black (well, grey) market goods.

The GPU power would be better spent folding.

Red '05 M3 Convertible - 6sp.

My Cars
    yes
    Quote Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
    Oh it's doing work for someone, but it's never clear who... you don't get money, even fake money, just by running your PC at full load for shits n giggles. It might be IBM, but just as likely you are working for chinese hackers or something

There are genuine sites where you can donate your computer's cycles at night for science, medical research, DNA cracking, astronomy...

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Wonder how many coins he was able to mine and if he kept them for this crazy spike.

My Cars
    N/A
    You know what's cool? If you threw a hundred down after this thread started you'd have $125,000 today.

Instead, we bought Yoder tires.

My Cars
    M3, GLK 350
    Quote Originally Posted by ImplicitFiber View Post
    You know what's cool? If you threw a hundred down after this thread started you'd have $125,000 today.

Instead, we bought Yoder tires.
    Nerd.